The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Montreal Offer Sheets Aho

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This is going to be a big swing and a miss for Bergevin when he has to wait 7 days to see the Canes match and then all the free agents are gone.

Bergevin likely won’t even be GM when Aho reaches free agency.

Between the cash and alluding the player no longer wants to be there and sees a better young group elsewhere, I wouldn't be so confident. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Between the cash and alluding the player no longer wants to be there and sees a better young group elsewhere, I wouldn't be so confident. 

This doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to be there. That’s reaching a bit. 

Players typically sign offer sheets knowing they will be matched.

If anything this means Aho wants to be in Carolina for at least 5 more years.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Haha 1

Just now, SilentSam said:

Bergevin stirring the pot,.    Wants to show Carolina Aho doesn’t want to be there.. creating locker room war.. “cancer”.

... is that not “tampering”.   

No, he's a free agent. How would that be tampering? 

Definitely interesting move by Montreal. It's a calculated risk but if it pays off it will be well worth it. 

I feel like Carolina is gonna match but the structure of the contract is gonna make it very difficult to match in terms of money up front. If they don't match it will be about that major money in the first couple of years.

Bergevin stirring the pot,.    Wants to show Carolina Aho doesn’t want to be there.. creating locker room war.. “cancer”.

... is that not “tampering”.   

How can it be tampering when he's Montreal property now and under contract with them. Carolina just has the right to match the offer now to make him their property again. 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This doesn’t mean he doesn’t want to be there. That’s reaching a bit. 

Players typically sign offer sheets knowing they will be matched.

If anything this means Aho wants to be in Carolina for at least 5 more years.

Bergevin is quoted as saying that..    didn’t think that was allowed..  tampering.

Bergevin is quoted as saying that..    didn’t think that was allowed..  tampering.

Sounds like he was just assuming he wanted to come there because he signed his deal.

Talking to the player about that would absolutely be tampering.

1 minute ago, FireGillis said:

How can it be tampering when he's Montreal property now and under contract with them. Carolina just has the right to match the offer now to make him their property again. 

Thought he was RFA ?  until signed, rights to Carolina, that’s why they can match,. Or rewarded by the loss..

my mistake.??

1 minute ago, FireGillis said:

He's still CAR property. Until they elect not to match. 

But he signed an offer so Bergevin can say he wants to be in MTL.  That's not how tampering works. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

RFA or UFA doesn't matter he's free to be spoken about by any GM and team, more so one he has signed a contract with. 

Thought he was RFA ?  until signed, rights to Carolina, that’s why they can match,. Or rewarded by the loss..

my mistake??

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Fake news 

I don't care who the source is no freaking way any team offer sheets Aho and they don't know it gets matched.   

Nonsense from supposed insider. 

No one who knows hockey believes this nonsense click bait fake news. 

Uh, ok.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

He's still CAR property. Until they elect not to match. 

But he signed an offer so Bergevin can say he wants to be in MTL.  That's not how tampering works. 

It does do damage though,. I think we can agree to that.

7 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

If Carolina doesn't match they don't deserve an organization.

What an obtuse thing to say.   The haul from Montreal could be very impressive.     There are few small markets that deserve a team more.   

• Upvote 1