The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Loui Erickson trade

43 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I proposed this in another thread and I still think it makes sense for both teams.

To Ottawa

Eriksson, Schaller ($14.9mil real dollars, $7.9mil cap hit this year)

They get veteran players to fill out their roster and mentor their younger players.  They save $4.5 million but get a higher cap hit which doesn't matter at this point.  The would still have lots of room to sign some RFA's and FA's.  

To Vancouver

Bobby Ryan ($22.5mil real dollars, $7.25mil cap hit)

Get a player who is a bit better offensively than LE, worse defensively.  Seems like a character guy.  We get a lower cap hit.  We also clear out some space for more contracts and actual space on the roster.

This must be sarcasm (re: Eriksson & Schaller mentoring anyone :P).  Though I'll give credit to LE at least being a 3rd/4th line NHL winger.  Other guy should be in the AHL.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

Ottawa only has 6 defenceman signed. What about throwing in Biega as well.  He clears out another 850k and gives them a solid, reliable depth guy for cheap.

Eriksson, Schaller, Biega ($15.75mil real dollars, $8.75mil cap hit this year)

They get veteran players to fill out their roster and mentor their younger players.  They save $6.75 million but get a higher cap hit which doesn't matter at this point.  The would still have lots of room..  

To Vancouver

Bobby Ryan ($22.5mil real dollars, $7.25mil cap hit)

This saves us 1.5mil.  Benn moves to the right when Tanev traded/injured.  More room for Juolevi, Sautner, and Brisebois to get time.

We should be getting more incentive, due to the extra real dollars to pay out. OTT has a slew of 2nd's coming, next couple yrs. One should go our way.

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

This must be sarcasm (re: Eriksson & Schaller mentoring anyone :P).  Though I'll give credit to LE at least being a 3rd/4th line NHL winger.  Other guy should be in the AHL.

To my knowledge, Schaller was always known as a good guy in the room, and a hard working, lunchpail guy.  Something didn't click last year.  Doesn't mean he can't contribute like he did in Boston.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

We should be getting more incentive, due to the extra real dollars to pay out. OTT has a slew of 2nd's coming, next couple yrs. One should go our way.

That would be great, but for me, the incentive is cap space and roster trimming.  Plus, I think that Ryan might actually be an upgrade for us, a bit.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

To my knowledge, Schaller was always known as a good guy in the room, and a hard working, lunchpail guy.  Something didn't click last year.  Doesn't mean he can't contribute like he did in Boston.

He got lucky and had a career year just at the right now.  Guy played with zero emotion on the ice.  Made LE look like Motte by comparison (my opinion).  But another person watching the games might see something different.  I see a fringe guy that shouldn't be on on the roster.  Reminds of when Mathias scored like 18 goals for us.  "One hit wonder".

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He got lucky and had a career year just at the right now.  Guy played with zero emotion on the ice.  Made LE look like Motte by comparison (my opinion).  But another person watching the games might see something different.  I see a fringe guy that shouldn't be on on the roster.

fair enough, I still think the trade makes good sense for both teams in a lot of ways.

I mean, Ottawa could take our scraps, along with Eriksson's horrible contract to make up the 2 mill they need to get to the cap floor.

Or they could just.....sign someone for two million dollars?

Teams aren't going to take our scraps as payment for LE's abysmal contract, especially after the Leafs set the precedent they did. Stop with the idiotic, one sided Eriksson proposals already. It's not happening unless we take a bad contract back or are willing to send away prime assets.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I mean, Ottawa could take our scraps, along with Eriksson's horrible contract to make up the 2 mill they need to get to the cap floor.

Teams aren't going to take our scraps as payment for LE's abysmal contract, especially after the Leafs set the precedent they did. Stop with the idiotic, one sided Eriksson proposals already. It's not happening unless we take a bad contract back or are willing to send away prime assets.

Again.  Considering your points, what’s the end game with Loui!  Can’t have him in our room.  Can’t trade him.  Utica is the only end game.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Again.  Considering your points, what’s the end game with Loui!  Can’t have him in our room.  Can’t trade him.  Utica is the only end game.  

It's either bury him in Utica and hope that at some point before his contract ends he &^@#s off to Sweden, or they smooth things over and he's on the opening night roster. There's no possibility of moving him. None.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

After their recent dealings(getting close to floor) it's only relevant spec if they can dump Ryan's albatross(about 22,000,00 owed)

As they say, there's a price for everything. But obviously one can see a possibility of both parties having their own(separate) incentive to do biz.

47 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's either bury him in Utica and hope that at some point before his contract ends he &^@#s off to Sweden, or they smooth things over and he's on the opening night roster. There's no possibility of moving him. None.

I agree. Canucks would have to add heavily in a trade, I would imagine. They would probably have to take an equally bad contract back. I wonder if Benning makes a deal for Lucic. I don't want to start up those rumours again, but shouldn't they try to trade Eriksson before camp? They don't need that drama around the team or the distraction. A trade with EDM may be his only option. I think Benning is in a really tough spot, trying to trade a bad contract of an older player who's struggled the last 3 years, and getting something in return. If, for some reason Benning can't trade Eriksson, can he just not report? 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

It was Duchene who blamed his coaches for his own poor play.  And lots here would be against having a guy with poor character like Duchene here.

It’s not a threat to put Loui in Utica.  It’s the reality for a player who is getting old, and can no longer play at the NHL level.  Loui is slow, has lost his hands, and lost his strength.  He’s done as a player at this level.  His former Canuck teammates want their best chance to win.  Those guys don’t want Loui hurting those chances.  Utica is where he will end up.  That’s the only end game in this scenario.  

Let's bury him in the ECHL...make his life hell so he agrees to terminate contract!

I don't want this lazy,selfish player anywhere near our prospects...in fact lets Gagner him and loan him to Toronto!

Edited by goog16
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, goog16 said:

Let's bury him in the ECHL...make his life hell so he agrees to terminate contract!

I don't want this lazy,selfish player anywhere near our prospects...in fact lets Gagner him and loan him to Toronto!

Wish we could send him to the ECHL.  Unfortunately the player needs to agree to go there.  It’s the AHL for Loui, or he retires and goes home to Sweden.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Could see a deal with Buffalo..hard for that market to attract FA's.

Do you think the Sabres can just pull extra cap space out of their hind quarters? 

Also, the Sabres have enough dead weight as it is.  Adding more would make it even harder than it already is to attract quality FA players. 

When you're an organization that continues to prove that you will continue to lose for the foreseeable future, the last thing that you want to do is collect even more losers on bloated contracts.  If the Sabres do that, players will continue to avoid the organization. 

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Do you think the Sabres can just pull extra cap space out of their hind quarters? 

Also, the Sabres have enough dead weight as it is.  Adding more would make it even harder than it already is to attract quality FA players. 

When you're an organization that continues to prove that you will continue to lose for the foreseeable future, the last thing that you want to do is collect even more losers on bloated contracts.  If the Sabres do that, players will continue to avoid the organization. 

But, a US market. If yer owner is buds with Grungy Battman, you'll get the TBay/Callahan deal. Say Eriksson has a curly hair, scalp-allergy, or some-such nonsense.

• Haha 1

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

But, a US market. If yer owner is buds with Grungy Battman, you'll get the TBay/Callahan deal. Say Eriksson has a curly hair, scalp-allergy, or some-such nonsense.

We're too close to Canada so we're guilty by association.  The 1999 SCF was proof of that.

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree. Canucks would have to add heavily in a trade, I would imagine. They would probably have to take an equally bad contract back. I wonder if Benning makes a deal for Lucic. I don't want to start up those rumours again, but shouldn't they try to trade Eriksson before camp? They don't need that drama around the team or the distraction. A trade with EDM may be his only option. I think Benning is in a really tough spot, trying to trade a bad contract of an older player who's struggled the last 3 years, and getting something in return. If, for some reason Benning can't trade Eriksson, can he just not report? 

Agree with you guys, only way I see us moving Loui to Ott is if we're taking Bobby Ryan's contract back.

And Loui would still have to agree to move to Ottawa which is about as likely as him waiving for Edmonton.