The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

26 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

I can't think of how he can top it unless LE miraculously gets signed elsewhere... 

10 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Well.....

That's literally impossible.

This..      I’ve underlined the interesting parts...   the Swedish Press seem to like LE ;) ..

11.19 Loan to Clubs Outside North America. The SPC of any Player may contain a clause that provides that, in the event his NHL Club Loans the Player to a club outside the NHL, during the period of such Loan, the Player shall have the option to be Loaned to a club of his choice outside North America. The clause may relieve the NHL Club of the obligation to pay the Player his Paragraph 1 Salary for the duration of such Loan if such relief is expressly stated in the provision, but the NHL Club shall otherwise be responsible for all other payments due to the Player by the NHL Club pursuant to his SPC. Such clause shall be subject to any applicable Player Transfer Agreement between the NHL and a hockey federation and/or the IIHF in effect, at the time of the Loan. The Player shall be permitted to make financial arrangements for compensation and other benefits with the club outside North America for the duration of the Loan, which financial compensation and benefits shall not be included in Averaged Club Salary, Actual Club Salary, League-wide Player Compensation or the Players' Share. The Club shall be required to provide to the NHL and the NHLPA in accordance with Exhibit 3 any loan agreement entered into in relation to such Loan by no later than 5:00 p.m. New York time on the day following the day thClub has received the executed loan agreement.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Jake’s going no where. He now has a mentor.

the Canucks have cap room. They have 5 mil + Roussel on LTIR plus 1.9 in Schaller, 1.5 in Leivo etc. They have 22 mil in space next year and 46 mil the year after. There is no cap issue that requires giving up young potential to get rid of contracts. Schaller and Leivo are easily moved given their contracts at worst. 

So jake needs a mentor now? Hasn't 22 and 33 done enough mentoring already? I doubt anybody is going to take Schaller and Leivo as add on for a Sutter or Ericsson

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

So jake needs a mentor now? Hasn't 22 and 33 done enough mentoring already? I doubt anybody is going to take Schaller and Leivo as add on for a Sutter or Ericsson

1. Jake is clearly still developing. Anyone who watches hockey can see that, and he has been improving. He needs to still learn what it means to be a power forward in the NHL, how to impose his physical game on teams to change an outcome, when to do it, when to be careful, etc. Ferland is one of the best at this, if you don't think a kid like Jake can learn a great deal from him you're fooling yourself. Jake is not a finished product, so yes, a mentor he can learn from to play a very unique game is helpful

2. Who said Schaller and or Leivo as an add on? Moving them alone, and many teams would be happy to have them as cheap depth, removes any cap issues whatsoever.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

1. Jake is clearly still developing. Anyone who watches hockey can see that, and he has been improving. He needs to still learn what it means to be a power forward in the NHL, how to impose his physical game on teams to change an outcome, when to do it, when to be careful, etc. Ferland is one of the best at this, if you don't think a kid like Jake can learn a great deal from him you're fooling yourself. Jake is not a finished product, so yes, a mentor he can learn from to play a very unique game is helpful

2. Who said Schaller and or Leivo as an add on? Moving them alone, and many teams would be happy to have them as cheap depth, removes any cap issues whatsoever.

You sure about that? Schaller brings absolutely nothing to the team other than 1.9 million cap hit, any team would just fill that role internally with a fraction of the cost, same with Leivo. No one wanted to to trade for Granlund last season and he's much more accomplished than those 2. This isn't nhl 19. Teams have to actually WANT your players. You must be one of those guys proposing Ballard, Raymond and a 2nd for Ovechkin trades

So Jake hasn't learned enough from like I mentioned, the Sedins, as well as Burrows, Dorsett, Rousell,? How many more babysitters does he need exactly? Sorry, as much I question some of Jim's moves over the years, I don't think he's in the business of putting up a daycare for lil ol Jake

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

This..      I’ve underlined the interesting parts...   the Swedish Press seem to like LE ;) ..

11.19 Loan to Clubs Outside North America. The SPC of any Player may contain a clause that provides that, in the event his NHL Club Loans the Player to a club outside the NHL, during the period of such Loan, the Player shall have the option to be Loaned to a club of his choice outside North America. The clause may relieve the NHL Club of the obligation to pay the Player his Paragraph 1 Salary for the duration of such Loan if such relief is expressly stated in the provision, but the NHL Club shall otherwise be responsible for all other payments due to the Player by the NHL Club pursuant to his SPC. Such clause shall be subject to any applicable Player Transfer Agreement between the NHL and a hockey federation and/or the IIHF in effect, at the time of the Loan. The Player shall be permitted to make financial arrangements for compensation and other benefits with the club outside North America for the duration of the Loan, which financial compensation and benefits shall not be included in Averaged Club Salary, Actual Club Salary, League-wide Player Compensation or the Players' Share. The Club shall be required to provide to the NHL and the NHLPA in accordance with Exhibit 3 any loan agreement entered into in relation to such Loan by no later than 5:00 p.m. New York time on the day following the day thClub has received the executed loan agreement.

Wow!  Sweden anyone? You know you miss home Louie.. 

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well would you rather SB or Rasmus Andersson? There was 2 good d prospects for us to pick from and I think Andersson would be far more valuable to this team. Not to mention we were rebuilding...or should have 

Calgary could had also drafted someone else if RA was not available then that trade would had really been one sided in the Canucks' favour.    Calgary sort off lucked out in the way RA is progressing.  In the end, both teams benefitted from that trade and the only reason (in my opinion) that some fans are still talking about the trade is because of SVs' injury history...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

copy&paste from another thread:

Sending Eriksson to the minors or Sweden has the same effect cap wise.  This season only 1.075M can be buried whether in the minors or abroad so he would still carry a 4.925M cap hit (6M - 1.075M).

David Rundblad was loaned to the Swiss LNA for parts of the 2015/2016 season.  His cap hit was 1.05M and that season 950K could be buried - Chicago still had to carry a 100K cap hit (1.05M - 950K).

You can note it here on CapFriendly if you click on the bar chart next to his name.  You will see that the cap hit doesn't change and stays at 100K from his time in the minors to his time loaned abroad:  https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/blackhawks/cap-tracker/chart/2016

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

You sure about that? Schaller brings absolutely nothing to the team other than 1.9 million cap hit, any team would just fill that role internally with a fraction of the cost, same with Leivo. No one wanted to to trade for Granlund last season and he's much more accomplished than those 2. This isn't nhl 19. Teams have to actually WANT your players. You must be one of those guys proposing Ballard, Raymond and a 2nd for Ovechkin trades

So Jake hasn't learned enough from like I mentioned, the Sedins, as well as Burrows, Dorsett, Rousell,? How many more babysitters does he need exactly? Sorry, as much I question some of Jim's moves over the years, I don't think he's in the business of putting up a daycare for lil ol Jake

What were jakes point totals last year? If he puts a consistant effort of scoring goals and hitting, with low cap? In a way i'm glad he has progressed this way, for 1 is if he didn't then we'd be paying a lot more and losing cap space and 2, Greener's been a huge help with him and lessons he already experienced here aren't going to leave the back of his mind anytime soon and i'd rather that lesson learned already, then in the playoffs this year or any other year.. learning to do the work to be consistent until it becomes second nature.. he'll be fine, so it takes some longer to get there than others but anyway just happy his cap isn't big.. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

My only hope here is that Virt isn’t being added as a “sweetener” in a move to jettison Loui.  Love the idea of Ferland/Virtanen/Roussel terrorizing the opposition. 

This is my only worry as well....

I don't want to let go of JV.... But the train is moving now.... If you want a seat, you got to earn it now.

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Pretty much, same as D, guys who can mentor other guys... we need developing here, if in utica  they can't get anymore there... thankfully we have guys up here who can.. 

Edited by iceman64
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

if true, they have some high end penalty killers to handle those minutes.

but Ferland doesn't take that many penalties - a career high of 58 pm - and his pms are typically inflated by some fights.

He's actually pretty disciplined - manages to play on the edge - and probably draws as many as he takes.

Benn likewise - pretty disciplined while being physical (39 pm last year was  his career high) - and Myers has averaged only 60 pm/82 over his career.

So they've gotten tougher, but not necessarily less disciplined.

Good take and somewhat surprising...

Hopefully we don't see them sky rocketing now they've become Canucks... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1