The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's Window of Opportunity

Rate this topic

JamesB

A Window of Opportunity is a time period when a team has a good chance to make the SCF  

227 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

sadly. Benning is a mix of genious and total idiot. you can only have one true way to be anything in this league/world

we have a great young core, and so benning went out of his way to sign over rated mediocre players to huge contracts AGAIN.

I actually hate the canucks..( the management of them )

itll never change. Canadian teams suck. TJ miller was the nail in the coffin of this off season., another bloated contract for an over rated player. If you cant light up the league in tampa bay playing on the highest scoring team in history. Then you probly suck compared to the rest. Why in the hell did we give up a first for him ??? head explodes.

Edited by TheNewGM
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

sadly. Benning is a mix of genious and total idiot. you can only have one true way to be anything in this league/world

we have a great young core, and so benning went out of his way to sign over rated mediocre players to huge contracts AGAIN.

itll never change. Canadian teams suck. TJ miller was the nail in the coffin of this off season., another bloated contract for an over rated player. If you cant light up the league in tampa bay playing on the highest scoring team in history. Then you probly suck compared to the rest. Why in the hell did we give up a first for him ??? head explodes.

As GM, what would your course of action have been at the end of the 2019 season?  Project out 5 years to manage CAP concerns, trades, signings, RFA contracts, drafts.  Who would you have drafted in the most recent draft?   

21 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

Lets see playing behind what might be the best top 6 in the league, how many points would Petterson have? Boeser? or many other top 6 forwards in the league. When you get third line ice time you put up third line points.  You obviously dont like Bennings moves. You are allowed to say that but back your criticism up with facts not supposed facts. Miller will be a player here in Vancouver.

It will change, Canadian teams are all improving, well the leafs are still the leafs. LOL  The Sens are on the downswing like we were a few seasons ago. Winnipeg, Calgary are still very competitive. Montreal is improving. Edmonton is well badly mismanaged.

The Canucks have a bright future, the players most are worried about their contracts expire before we have to worry about Peteys or Hughes contracts. They have improved drastically this summer. I agree with Rob_Zepp. It will be fun to quote your post all season long.

On 7/16/2019 at 11:54 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

I was against the cost of acquiring Miller.

Until we landed Myers and Ferland for less than I thought.  Miller is 26. Pearson 26. Markstrom 29, Roussel 29, Ferland 27, Myers 29.

They may not get better. But are not on the edge of decline either? Only Edler, Sutter and LOL Eriksson. Over that time, hopefully the older players get made redundant by Jake, Gaudette, Lockwood, DiPietro, Madden,Podkolzin, who can also drive business, Woo, Tryamkin & Juolevi.

But the bus will get driven by Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, hopefully Demko & Hoglander when we win a cup. The oldest of whom is Horvat 24. They are our best players. How long we have a Window of Opportunity is up to them! Look at Chicago. They won after Ladd, Byfuglien & others moved on. It was built Keith, Kane & Toews.  

The key is only that, ultimately Pettersson, Hughes & Boeser land as advertised.

That window does not have to be short. 

Key is to be able to add another EP, Qh, Or Boeser through FA.  

NOT another middling player.  Support should come through the draft - with top ups at the very top.

Now it can be justly argues that the team had no choice - and I’m ok with that.  But the overspending and buyout proof contracts for older players has to stop else we are screwed!   

Id also argue that the talent brought in isn’t high enough for the money committed.  Chicago got Hosa which really put em over the top.   We need that kind of signing...  of course now we can’t do that for 3/4 years... so maybe the true window opens in 3/4 years?   Until then we are learning how not to lose?

On 7/17/2019 at 2:18 PM, oldnews said:

the ironing is delicious.

"all the players brought in will be boat anchorzzz!"

you're making pretentious claims - in the future - and you expect it to be countered with "facts"?  lol. 

you aren't talking facts - that's why you got called out in the first place.

Come on man - can’t u take a joke?  So serious.... 

call me out on other posts and I’m happy to banter a bit.

here:  how is the team going to sign a top level FA in the next few years?  Like a superstar FA?  We can’t, that’s how.  Maybe waiting is OK.  Do you think the trade off for competing now is better than saving cap space for a legit superstar later?  Or making a trade for one?

nobody knows if the trade off is worthwhile, but everyone has an opinion

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canucksnihilist said:

Come on man - can’t u take a joke?  So serious.... 

call me out on other posts and I’m happy to banter a bit.

here:  how is the team going to sign a top level FA in the next few years?  Like a superstar FA?  We can’t, that’s how.  Maybe waiting is OK.  Do you think the trade off for competing now is better than saving cap space for a legit superstar later?  Or making a trade for one?

nobody knows if the trade off is worthwhile, but everyone has an opinion

Why would we go after an old UFA, who was once a star, and pay him way too much, when we have Petey and Quinn?  Our two young super duper stars are 20, and will be in their primes for the next decade.  

• Cheers 4

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why would we go after an old UFA, who was once a star, and pay him way too much, when we have Petey and Quinn?  Our two young super duper stars are 20, and will be in their primes for the next decade.  

Well... if that player is a game changer, is a superstar... then ya.

who was good that was available?

1. Remember Chara at 28/29?   When he left as a FA from Ottawa?

2. Tavares.

3.  Hossa to Chicago

4. Hasek Buffalo

thats is all I can think of.  Oh and messier to Vancouver (that’s a joke).  But adding a star player is always a good idea.  They also last longer and play at a top level longer 

makes sense?

On July 19, 2019 at 10:08 AM, TheNewGM said:

Your head explodes? Seems unlikely. From your post, there appears to be a vacuum in there, which could only implode.

I think the window passed him last year.

I think it is about when he is replaced.

I think September will weigh heavy with the opt out of the CBA by one side or the other, if giving odds I would bet on the NHL and Bettman, whoever makes the first move controls the negotiations and the NHL didn't ask Seattle to delay for a year for fun. Agents haven't been structuring contracts with low salaries and high signing bonuses for nothing.

I think regardless of the CBA Benning will have to be re-signed by December 1 or replaced by February 1 and the TDL if that is going to happen, he may not be fired just someone hired and him shuttled down the list of decision making. Maybe the signs will be an assistant or president hired.

I know it is summer but with the staggering importance of September 19th looming it is strange that there is hardly any "talk" about how the CBA negotiations are going. that cannot be a good sign

Maybe most know already and that is why Benning felt that trading away the 1rst in 2021 would be forgiven just because hockey was returning after another year off? Benning does not put as much emphasis on draft picks as he does trading them away for players, if he did he would be amassing draft picks in a rebuild. He is just trying to build a team to make the playoffs and that is all. This roster looks like something put together from EA Sports where every player plays to peak efficiency 100% of the time and never ages.

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy