The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Canucks should consider trading Tanev and signing Gardiner

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I think an average or “passable” 2nd pairing dman will get about 4.5 million in this market, but a good 2nd pairing dman that wouldn’t look completely out of place on a 1st pairing (if there are injuries) will get about 5.5-6 in my opinion.   I’d personally go as high as 6 for Gardiner.   

I don’t want Hughes or Benn being forced to play on the top pairing if Edler gets hurt.

I’m not really arguing what Gardiner is worth to some other team.

My belief is that TO THE CANUCKS he is worth $4.5m.

This is due to our situation.

I would sign him for 4 years at that value, no more. He may be interested in the longer term.

We cannot afford more than that as we have to keep room for Hughes and Pettersson.

This is a potential opportunity to get a player for less per year by offering term, similar to how we signed Ferland. If Gardiner is not on board at that value, then I would walk away.

We cannot afford to pay another UFA Dman $6m+ IMO. You can argue that we CAN afford him with our cap, but I mean moving forward in the next few years, I don’t think we can be paying him any more.

Second pairing guys need to be at the $4-4.5m level. Bottom pairing at the $2m level. If we don’t keep a lid on what we are paying role players, then we will never win the Cup.

And regarding your “passable” vs “good” comment. I believe a second pairing guy at the $4m level should be good enough to step up to the top pairing in case of injury. You can’t pay a player top pairing money just so he can step up in case of injury.

Additionally, if we can sign Boeser to $6.5m then I would suggest that we could clear enough cap space for Gardiner (at $4.5m) just by trading Baer and Schaller. Tanev could stay with the Canucks until the TDL, then a decision could be made as to whether to trade him or keep Tanev for a playoff run.

Canucks D could be something like:

Edler Myers

Gardiner Tanev

Hughes Benn

Fantenberg Stecher

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

No, he’s definitely poor defensively, not saying he’s straight trash but he’s pretty meh at best. And his deployment I’m pretty sure was behind Rielly on the 2nd pair. Soooo, yeah.

I fixed that yes I’m aware he’s behind O’Reilly as i mentioned earlier in the post but missed a word in the sentence which made it confusing (meant to say that Edler hasn’t had the luxury of playing the second pairing...with these two they could split the load a lot more evenly) ... I just don’t think he’s as defensively poor as some guys on this site make him out to be.   He does giveaway the puck an awful lot, but so do other PMD’s,  only was a minus the years they blew it up and nothing close to as bad as it was with Edler ... and back then he was ahead of O’Reilly on the depth chart... drives possession Corsi and Fenwick 53-58% the last four years... really sometimes I think people just parrot around whatever a few say, but thanks for not calling him trash because he isn’t.  One poster said he was worse then everyone on our L side right down to Brisbois and Sautner...crazy really.    I’m not saying we should sign him, but I am saying he’s better then his bad rep gets, as fans of TO might have noticed when he finally missed a stretch of games and their season hit a wall.    Under appreciated.  Not as good a Myers but not far off either.  At least that’s what some pro scouts said about him in head to head comparisons pre-UFA day.   I’m not saying he’s great or even good defensively, but he’s definitely  not worse then average either.   We ran with Hutton last year do people honestly think he can hold a candle to Gardiner?

Anyways I read enough crazy things in this thread off to a different one, again at least you aren’t calling him trash so thanks for that.

3 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I would sign him for 4 years at that value, no more. He may be interested in the longer term.

We cannot afford more than that as we have to keep room for Hughes and Pettersson.

This is a potential opportunity to get a player for less per year by offering term, similar to how we signed Ferland. If Gardiner is not on board at that value, then I would walk away.

We cannot afford to pay another UFA Dman $6m+ IMO. You can argue that we CAN afford him with our cap, but I mean moving forward in the next few years, I don’t think we can be paying him any more.

Second pairing guys need to be at the $4-4.5m level. Bottom pairing at the $2m level. If we don’t keep a lid on what we are paying role players, then we will never win the Cup.

And regarding your “passable” vs “good” comment. I believe a second pairing guy at the $4m level should be good enough to step up to the top pairing in case of injury. You can’t pay a player top pairing money just so he can step up in case of injury.

Additionally, if we can sign Boeser to $6.5m then I would suggest that we could clear enough cap space for Gardiner (at $4.5m) just by trading Baer and Schaller. Tanev could stay with the Canucks until the TDL, then a decision could be made as to whether to trade him or keep Tanev for a playoff run.

Edler Myers

Gardiner Tanev

Hughes Benn

Fantenberg Stecher

Top pairing guys are making 8 and up now...the ones that get their pay days as UFAs.   Carlson is the most recent guy to get his raise.  Next year Alex P, Josi, Barrie etc will cement the bar.

Hutton wanted over 4 because he was playing the second pairing but not surprisingly nobody signed him for it, because he’s not really a top four NHL defenseman.  

Not saying part of what your saying isn’t true, we really can’t afford another handcuff and id agree 4.5-5 is about what our team could afford.   Gardiners camp could be holding out for more.   He’s got the numbers for it.  Myers signed at a discount, given he’s a RHD most experts saw him going for 7 plus, but at six he’s still a second pairing guy skill-wise, just like Gardiner.   We got lucky because he wanted to be here.  We got extremely lucky with Benn, I’m shocked still on that one, an upgrade on Hutton to boot.   

Alex P will get a big pay raise next year, he’s making 7.5 on an old contract.        

The days of 4-5 million second pairing guys are very numbered, the better of the bunch making that now will get bumped to 6 plus.    If we could lock Gardiner in below five it wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world, I have more problems with the side he’s on then the actual player given we have depth there now, but in a way I guess he’d become a medium/short term solution for Edler.   

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, goog16 said:

Start season with Tanev and trade him later in the season and bring up one of the kids on the farm to replace him.

We don't have any legit RHD prospect that has marinated in the A and is ready for the jump tho...unless Green plays Hughes on the right side or something?

Edited by Canuckster86
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Top pairing guys are making 8 and up now...the ones that get their pay days as UFAs.   Carlson is the most recent guy to get his raise.  Next year Alex P, Josi, Barrie etc will cement the bar.

Hutton wanted over 4 because he was playing the second pairing but not surprisingly nobody signed him for it, because he’s not really a top four NHL defenseman.  

Not saying part of what your saying isn’t true, we really can’t afford another handcuff and id agree 4.5-5 is about what our team could afford.   Gardiners camp could be holding out for more.   He’s got the numbers for it.  Myers signed at a discount, given he’s a RHD most experts saw him going for 7 plus, but at six he’s still a second pairing guy skill-wise, just like Gardiner.   We got lucky because he wanted to be here.  We got extremely lucky with Benn, I’m shocked still on that one, an upgrade on Hutton to boot.   

Alex P will get a big pay raise next year, he’s making 7.5 on an old contract.        

The days of 4-5 million second pairing guys are very numbered, the better of the bunch making that now will get bumped to 6 plus.    If we could lock Gardiner in below five it wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world, I have more problems with the side he’s on then the actual player given we have depth there now, but in a way I guess he’d become a medium/short term solution for Edler.   

Gardiner has lots of experience playing on the right side.   He prefers the left side obviously but is by no means a fish out of water on that right side.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Gardiner has lots of experience playing on the right side.   He prefers the left side obviously but is by no means a fish out of water on that right side.

Gardiner is damaged goods.  He’s got a bad back.  Teams might want to see his medical records, and talk to his doctors and evaluate him themselves.  Maybe teams are finding things they don’t like?

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gardiner is damaged goods.  He’s got a bad back.  Teams might want to see his medical records, and talk to his doctors and evaluate him themselves.  Maybe teams are finding things they don’t like?

Maybe...but until this year he’s been a horse.   Compared to the six we are paying for 55ish games for Edler he’d be in good company as far as damaged goods go ha ha.   Your right though if he needs surgery it could be serious ... the same could be said of OJ and Boeser, and Myers even - it goes both ways.  The fact that he’s played his entire career without a serious injury until last season should also be considered...and it’s not like he had a complete aversion of blocking pucks either like the Flamingo ha ha ...

• Cheers 1

On 7/21/2019 at 9:03 AM, Alflives said:

Gardiner came back early and played through his back injury, and this affected his mobility down the stretch and through the playoffs. After the playoffs, Gardiner had another MRI done that came back clean, and fortunately would not require surgery. He is expected to be 100% for next season.

Since the lockout, he’s played 80, 79, 79, 82, and 82 game seasons, and then the 62 last year, with the injury. I believe he’s only had two serious injuries: a concussion in 2012-13 (with the Marlies during the lockout) and the back injury last season.

Assuming reports are correct and he’s had clear scans and been given a clean bill of health, I wouldn’t worry about him being damaged goods. He’s been pretty injury free for his career. He also plays a low contact style, and is pretty evasive, so he’s not likely to get banged up too often or accumulate all that much wear and tear.

I expect he’s been holding out for a higher salary than teams have been offering so far. Doesn’t make sense otherwise that he’s even on the market. He’s too good a player to not be getting interest.

Question is, how much money would it take to sign him? If Gardiner starts to get impatient, and possibly would accept something with reasonable term and AAV, I hope we’re in the mix. If this situation drags on, I’d absolutely love to see the Canucks circle back, and see if they can nab Gardiner on the (relative) cheap. In my mind, he’s more valuable than either Edler or Myers. Anything (with reasonable term) under the $6 million AAV we’re currently paying those two would be a serious bargain IMO.

Gardiner is just a beast statistically. Since 2016, he’s 9th among all NHL Dmen in WAR (wins above replacement) and GAR (goals above replacement), and he’s done even better at evens, ranking 5th in the league in even strength GAR.

He may have had some bad “eye test” moments, some on the biggest stage possible (a playoffs game 7 in a Leafs jersey is about as high profile as it gets in hockey), but as far as overall results go, there’s not a player on the Canucks D with stats that comes anywhere close to the level of quality you see reflected in Gardiner’s visualizations:

10F40388-6E60-495A-8348-ED9B2BF13858.jpeg.a64783b4ec6d3c5953870285185c2d77.jpeg

466BE2BD-48E8-4886-8ED5-33377DB32570.jpeg.deda2b1575304528ea27b2b6e114b8c0.jpeg

You simply won’t ever see a “bad” defenseman consistently putting up numbers like those. Nearly every other Dman with a similar statistical profile is considered a top pairing Dman, and even some of the consensus #1D’s don’t put up numbers as good as Gardiner’s.

Swapping Tanev for Gardiner upgrades the team. I like Tanev, but you could even dump him for no return (not that I’m suggesting this), and then sign Gardiner, and you’re still coming out ahead. Actually getting a trade return on Tanev, and then adding Gardiner as a “free” asset, is like Vancouver getting paid to make the team better.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 2

I actually don't mind the idea of signing Gardiner.  I feel we are still lacking punch from the blueline if Juolevi is unable to make the team and provide it - and I think expecting that is a stretch.

Obviously the cap is an issue, so have no idea how that works out. If we moved Tanev that obviously helps but not enough - and we really would have to movw him anyway to make the spot available for Gardiner. Having Stecher as the 7th guy is a total waste, imo.

I also wonder how we get Tryamkin into the lineup the folowing year.

Overall, I don't really see it working.  But unlike some on here who think Gardiner isn't a good player, I would be happy to see him on our team for the right price.

• Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:40 AM, Hindustan Smyl said:

[proposal] Canucks should consider trading Tanev and signing Gardiner

While I've been happy with the moves that the Canucks have made this off-season, our defense in the long term still concerns me.    

Here is what our defense looks like right now:

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Stecher

Fantenberg.

Short term concerns:

While that defense isn't too bad, I still have concerns for that left side.  If Edler goes down with injury (and perhaps I shouldn't be saying, "if,"........I should be saying, "when,"), you'll either have.....

1) A very young Quinn Hughes playing on the top pairing  OR

2) An honest yet talent-challenged 3rd pairing caliber dman in Jamie Benn moving up to fulfill that role.

In both cases, I think there are significant risks involved in having either of those men playing on the top pairing for any length of time.......and if the Canucks have playoff aspirations, and Edler injury could once again prove to be fatal.

Long term concerns:

One major concern I have for our defense long term, is the lack of Top 4 caliber defensemen in our system.       Two years from now, the Canucks will be faced with the following dilemna:

1) Do we re-sign 35 year old Alexander Edler?  If so, for how much?    As I addressed in another thread, will we have enough cap space to re-up Edler, given that Hughes and Pettersson will need to be re-upped at this same time?

2) IF Hughes is ready to assume that top pairing position on the team, who takes that 2nd pairing LD?    Is Olli Juolevi projecting to be a 2nd pairing defenseman as of this writing?    Can Tryamkin fulfill that role?     

2019-2020:

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Stecher

2020-2021

Edler-Myers

Hughes-[Tryamkin? (as a Tanev replacement)]

Benn-Stecher

2021-2022

Hughes-Myers

[Tryamkin-Juolevi]-[Stecher-Woo]

[Tryamkin-Juolevi]--[Stecher-Woo]

My only problem with the above, is that we might be assuming too much..........and that we might be making unrealistic projections.

While it's nice to make assumptions that guys like Juolevi, Tryamkin, and Woo will easily be able to fill those Top 4 positional voids, I'm just not sure if they'll be able to be GREAT in those roles.   Are any of those guys projecting to be GREAT 2nd pairing dmen at the NHL level?   I'm not so sure.      

On top of all that, I'm also assuming that Hughes will automatically become a top pairing calibre dman.       Although it seems likely, it's by no means a guarantee.    

Gardiner would not only solidify the left side D both short term and long term, but would also allow the Canucks to make more realistic long term and conservative projections on their D: 

This is where I think a guy like Gardiner will come in handy.    The presence of Gardiner will allow the Canucks to:

1) Have more top pairing LD options if/when Edler gets injured.   Now, instead of relying on a very young Quinn Hughes, or the 3rd pairing calibre Jamie Benn, the Canucks could easily put Gardiner as an adequate top pairing replacement, while still allowing Hughes to develop his game on a 2nd pairing.

Edler-Stecher

Gardiner-Myers

Hughes-Benn

[If Edler gets injured]

Gardiner-Myers

Hughes-Benn

Fantenberg-Stecher

2) Let Edler walk after two years without having to worry if the Canucks will be deep enough:     If Hughes is good enough to assume Top pairing D at this point, great!  Stick him on the top pairing.  If he's not ready.......great!   Gardiner goes there.    For the purposes of conservatism, you can then make preliminary projections to have guys like Juolevi, Tryamkin, and Woo taking over those 3rd pairing positions instead of making "lofty" 2nd pairing forecasts:

2021-2022:

[Hughes-Gardiner]-Myers

[Hughes-Gardiner]-[Tryamkin-Stecher-Woo]

[Tryamkin-Juolevi]-[Tryamkin-Stecher-Woo]

3) Will the presence of Gardiner affect the development of Hughes?       

I think this is the biggest reservations that many people have (including Benning), with regards to signing Gardiner.     I'm of the opinion that it wouldn't for the following reasons:

A)    Even if Hughes plays on the 3rd pairing 5  on 5, you could still give Hughes boatloads of PP time.        

B-)  As mentioned earlier, injuries to the D are inevitable.  Hughes would likely start on the 3rd pairing, but would likely get significant minutes in a top 4 role due to inevitable injuries.   Significant minutes on the Top 4 would be great for Hughes' development.    You know what likely wouldn't be great for his development right now?   Getting significant minutes in a top 2 role (which is basically what would happen right now if injuries occurred to the D).    

C)    If Hughes proves to be a Top 4 calibre dman right from the get go, move one of Edler or Gardiner to the right side.   Plain and simple.    Gardiner has had extensive experience playing on the right side in Toronto, while Edler played on the right side with Erhoff back in 2011.   

[Gardiner-Edler]-[Edler-Gardiner]

Hughes-Myers

Benn-Stecher

Fantenberg

Long term cap ramifications:   

I don't want to speculate about the long term cap ramifications of simultaneously trading Tanev (for a pick) while signing Gardiner (my guess is that Gardiner would be had for 6 million), and so the extra cap hit we'd take on would be (6 - 4.45 = 1.55 million), but I think it would definitely be worth exploring on Benning's end.    Again - I have no idea if the Canucks would be able to afford this move in the long term.    I speculated enough in my other thread and so I want re-hash that over here.

Conclusion:

Bringing in Gardiner would solidify the Canucks' left side D both short term and long term.    We wouldn't be forced to overburden Quinn Hughes, and we could also make more realistic and conservative projections with regards to guys like Tryamkin, Juolevi, and Woo.   Canucks D would be absolutely set both short term and long term on that left side.

bad

One obvious landing spot for tanev is Colorado. only Johnson and Makar as RHD on the team. Once rosen and graves are sent down, they'll have 7 roster D, room to add one more. plus, lots of cap space even after rantenen signs for around 9? million. could probably get toronto's 2020 3rd from them and maybe a 2021 2nd?

Then its just a matter of shedding one more contact (baertschi? sutter?) and the Canucks will have more than enough room to sign Boeser and Gardiner. 

with gardiner, joulevi, and stetcher all protected for expansion draft, maybe myers gets picked up.]?

Only thing is this puts a dent in my pipe dream to sign Barrie next year lol.

• Cheers 1

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:36 AM, The_Rocket said:

One obvious landing spot for tanev is Colorado. only Johnson and Makar as RHD on the team. Once rosen and graves are sent down, they'll have 7 roster D, room to add one more. plus, lots of cap space even after rantenen signs for around 9? million. could probably get toronto's 2020 3rd from them and maybe a 2021 2nd?

Then its just a matter of shedding one more contact (baertschi? sutter?) and the Canucks will have more than enough room to sign Boeser and Gardiner. 

with gardiner, joulevi, and stetcher all protected for expansion draft, maybe myers gets picked up.]?

Yep I had spotted COL as the most likely landing spot for Tanev too.

I'm not too sure they would give the 2020 3rd for 1 year of Tanev, let alone adding the 2021 2nd tho! Probably more realistic is the 2020 4th on its own?

I would also love to create more cap space by trading Baer. He's a good player but seems like the odd one out, as I don't believe he will be in our top 6 and isn't really bottom 6 material. We might miss him on the PP. But I think NJD could use a 2LW to play alongside Hischier or Hughes. Baer has 2 years left on his contract but his concussion problems may be an issue. I would agree to a NJD 2020 3rd if he plays 65 or more games, NJD 2020 5th if he plays 45-64 games, NJD 2020 7th if he plays less than 45 games.

On 7/27/2019 at 1:36 PM, The_Rocket said:

If we were to go after gardiner we’d have to off load a little more than tanev. I’d be thinking because BB isn’t sign we’d have to get rid of Eriksson contract as well and probably roussell before he comes off LTIR

2 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

If we were to go after gardiner we’d have to off load a little more than tanev. I’d be thinking because BB isn’t sign we’d have to get rid of Eriksson contract as well and probably roussell before he comes off LTIR

Well the option of trading Baer to NJD is probably off the table now that they have landed Gusev. Any team want Schaller?!...

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Rumour has it, TOR may re-sign Gardiner. Not sure how they would manage that.

I don’t think he’s signing a 1x1. And those where Toronto homers talking about why would he leave for a low ball deal rather than come back to Toronto for cheap

I think the injury concern was important to Canucks management and that is why they acquired Fantenberg. While Fantenberg isn't a top 4 dman, he is no slouch either and can handle 16 to 18 mns a night, and can possibly offer a couple of relief games at 20 mins (although that would not be ideal). I think sheltering Hughes was the reason we acquired OF. We really don't have a need for Gardiner at this point. 

As a side note, I've been an advocate of getting rid of Tanev for the past 5 years. The dude is good, but boy does the offense just die as soon as he touches the puck. I consider him the most boring player I have ever watched. 4.45 of cap relief at this point for a 2nd rounder and a B prospect and I bite. Please just get him off our hands.

On 7/21/2019 at 2:39 AM, BigTramFan said:

Edler Myers

Gardiner Tanev

Hughes Benn

Fantenberg Stecher 

If the Canucks sign Gardiner that means Tanev is gone.

Stecher is not a 7/8 D more of a 5/6.

Edler Myers 

Hughes Gardiner 

Benn Stecher 

Fantenberg Biega 

With Edler, Hughes, Stecher and even Myers (Juolevi & Woo) i don't see a fit with Gardiner. 

How about Tryamkin, Goldobin and Tanev for Ristolainen? Bogosian is hurt to start the year.

Dahlin Montour

Scandella Miller

Hunwick Tanev

Mccabe Nelson

Bogosian(Injured)

Goldy adds scoring upfront, him and Vesey can battle it out for 2LW.

Tryamkin adds to their future D core/replaces big body of Ristolainen.

Edler Ristolainen

Hughes Myers

Benn Stecher 

Fantenberg Biega 

Future D core

Hughes Myers 

Juolevi Ristolainen

Woo Stecher 

:ph34r::emot-parrot:

I actually like the idea of moving Tanev and signing Gardiner if the term and AAV is reasonable. 

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Benn

Gardiner-Stecher

Biega, Fantenberg

Each of those pairings could be rolled at 5 on 5, and Gardiner, Hughes, Myers on the PP allow Edler to be given less of a role there which i believe is important to improve the PP.  Gardiner and Hughes would give the Canucks a potent PP duo imo and Myers also has some tools that would help. Edler and Benn as mainstays on the PK instead.

Tanev is great defensively but I think this moves the team more in the direction Green wants them to play. 

EDIT: Gardiner is WAY better than he is given credit for by Leafs fans and homer media. They needed a scapegoat to deflect from their star forwards and overall defensive effort $&!#ting the bed and Gardiner has been it. 

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1