The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade David Clarkson, 2020 4th-round pick to Maple Leafs for Garret Sparks

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am still assuming you are just misinformed and too lazy to read up on this, rather than just being a troll... so i deleted a bunch of irrelevant stuff from your OWN post... to illustrate why your own quote shows you are wrong.

The training camp equation section explains it perfectly... note it says on the last day of training camp and not first day of the season.  It gives the literal example we are talking about here... how you can exceed the cap by the LTIR amount to start the season.

Forget Capfriendly here is the CBA  http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf       Page 310

Illustration #1:  The Upper Limit in a League Year is $70.0 million.  On the last day of Training Camp, a Club has an Averaged Club Salary of $71.5 million (excluding Earnable Performance Bonuses up to the full amount of the Performance Bonus Cushion).  A Player who has an SPC with an Averaged Amount of $2.0 million becomes unfit to play on the last day of Training Camp, and on the same day, the Club Loans a Player who has an SPC with an Averaged Amount of $1.5 million to the minors, decreasing its Averaged Club Salary to $70.0 million.  On Opening Day, the Club exercises the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception on the unfit-to-play Player.  The Club may then replace the unfit-to-play Player with any Player or Players who have SPCs with an (aggregate) Averaged Amount of $2.0 million.  If these replacements are made on Opening Day and are maintained through the conclusion of the season, the Club's Averaged Club Salary is $72.0 million, as the Club is permitted to exceed the Upper Limit by $2.0 million because of the Bona-Fide LongTerm Injury/Illness Exception. 

1 minute ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Forget Capfriendly here is the CBA  http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf       Page 310

Illustration #1:  The Upper Limit in a League Year is $70.0 million.  On the last day of Training Camp, a Club has an Averaged Club Salary of $71.5 million (excluding Earnable Performance Bonuses up to the full amount of the Performance Bonus Cushion).  A Player who has an SPC with an Averaged Amount of $2.0 million becomes unfit to play on the last day of Training Camp, and on the same day, the Club Loans a Player who has an SPC with an Averaged Amount of $1.5 million to the minors, decreasing its Averaged Club Salary to $70.0 million.  On Opening Day, the Club exercises the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception on the unfit-to-play Player.  The Club may then replace the unfit-to-play Player with any Player or Players who have SPCs with an (aggregate) Averaged Amount of $2.0 million.  If these replacements are made on Opening Day and are maintained through the conclusion of the season, the Club's Averaged Club Salary is $72.0 million, as the Club is permitted to exceed the Upper Limit by $2.0 million because of the Bona-Fide LongTerm Injury/Illness Exception. 

From that same CBA - illustration 4:

Illustration #4: The Upper Limit in a League Year is $70.0 million. A Player who has an SPC with an Averaged Amount of $2.0 million becomes unfit to play on the last day of Training Camp, and on the same day, his Club exercises the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception on such Player. On Opening Day, the Club has an Averaged Club Salary of $71.5 million (excluding Earnable Performance Bonuses up to the full amount of the Performance Bonus Cushion). The Club is deemed to have already fully replaced the unfit-to-play Player with any Player or Players on the Opening Day Roster. If these replacements are maintained through the conclusion of the season, the Club's Averaged Club Salary is $71.5 million, as the Club is permitted to exceed the Upper Limit by $1.5 million because of the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

You think Leafs would purposely handcuff themselves so they can't sign marner until after season starts? 

Why the heck would they do something so stupid. Marner wont attend training camp  or pre season until start regular season? 

Why. How can that even make sense to you.. 

Especially with the Nhls best cap guru in Gilman being the capologist in Toronto.

You ate factually wrong. Deal with it move on. 

No point carrying this on any further. 

Doesn't this look ridicules now

• Wat 2

5 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I think NHL CBA trumps Capfriendly

Ya, so you were the one who was quoting capfriendly as your source... and we just pointed out how your own source said you were wrong.

Your highlighted CBA quote even clearly says “IF those replacements are made on opening day”. It doesn’t say they mustn’t be, and in this case they would be done before opening day as per the options outlined above that you are ignoring.  Mill keeps beating me to the punch while I am typing but saying the same things.

You are clearly a troll, no one could really be arguing against their own quotes repeatedly accidentally.  

Anyone honestly mistaken would have decided to stop responding rather than digging further.

Edited by Provost

32 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Does this mean the laffs have a torn ACSL? :)

Yes, yes it does.

you just won this thread.  Hands down. no sarcasm.

The Leafs have a torn ACSL.  That is the best diagnosis I've heard in a long time.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Ya, so you were the one who was quoting capfriendly as your source.

Your highlighted CBA quote even clearly says “IF those replacements are made on opening day”. It doesn’t say they mustn’t be, and in this case they would be done before opening day as per the options outlined above that you are ignoring.

You are clearly a troll, no one could really be arguing against their own quotes repeatedly accidentally.  

You know what is great time will tell, if Marner signs before season start you are right if he signs after seasons start I'm right we can both agree on this.

• Wat 2

Doesn't this look ridicules now

Yes you are starting to look silly now. 

Quit trolling now there are multiple posters who agree with me. Not one who agrees with you but you continue to troll. 

Like i said accept it and move on. Everyone can be wrong. Not like I've never been mistaken or wrong about a post I've made here over the past 10 years. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

You know what is great time will tell, if Marner signs before season start you are right if he signs after seasons start I'm right we can both agree on this.

Nope... the black and white letter of the CBA makes it clear how it works regarding the cap implications.

Whether Marner signs before or after the season has nothing to do with it and doesn’t make you less wrong.

If he hasn’t  signed before the season, they use one option of putting the guys on LTIR on the first day of the season so they get LTIR relief.  If he has signed, they put those guys on LTIR on the last day of training camp.  

They have a way to do it regardless of how the unrelated negotiations go.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Nope... the black and white letter of the CBA makes it clear how it works regarding the cap implications.

Whether Marner signs before or after the season has nothing to do with it.  

If he hasn’t  signed before the season, they use one option of putting the guys on LTIR on the first day of the season so they get LTIR relief, if he has signed, they put those guys on LTIR on the last day of training camp.  They have a way to do it regardless of how the unrelated negotiations go.

and if he signs the first day of the season you will claim that is coincidence 

• Wat 2

When with the Canucks, Gillman does a legal offer to get Roberto signed,  that the league approved

Years later, they say it wasn't done in the good spirit of the CBA and change the rules

Now, had this same Gillman done a similar deal like this one and STILL with the Canucks

Don't you believe Bettman would be telling Aquaman, Your guy is doing it again, and you won't get away with it , just like before, Trading for a guy who hasn't played in 3 years is obviously not in the good spirit

Only this time they won't change the rules on the Leafs

Not sure how every owner, (other than Boston or Toronto) is not pissed that all are not treated equal and playing by the same rules in Bettmans league

Sparks was only added so the deal wasn't denied by the league I assume

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

And if he holds out until 2 weeks into season everyone was wrong?

This about facts. About a rule. Not opinion. It's right there for you to read. Provost has provided links. 

• Upvote 1

What @Provost and @WHL rocks have stated is true, there are two ways to be cap compliant with regards to Ltir use.  If Marner signs on the first day its because he wants more than 10.55 million and Dubas is trying to make other trades to fit him in

16 minutes ago, mll said:

From that same CBA - illustration 4:

Illustration #4: The Upper Limit in a League Year is $70.0 million. A Player who has an SPC with an Averaged Amount of $2.0 million becomes unfit to play on the last day of Training Camp, and on the same day, his Club exercises the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception on such Player. On Opening Day, the Club has an Averaged Club Salary of $71.5 million (excluding Earnable Performance Bonuses up to the full amount of the Performance Bonus Cushion). The Club is deemed to have already fully replaced the unfit-to-play Player with any Player or Players on the Opening Day Roster. If these replacements are maintained through the conclusion of the season, the Club's Averaged Club Salary is $71.5 million, as the Club is permitted to exceed the Upper Limit by $1.5 million because of the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception.

this doesn't pertain to Marner this example is showing a cap of less then 10% as this season would have a cap that is 81.5 million 10% would be 8.15. This would only pertain to Marner if he signed for 8.15 million or less. Thus as I have been saying Toronto would not be cap compliant 

this doesn't pertain to Marner this example is showing a cap of less then 10% as this season would have a cap that is 81.5 million 10% would be 8.15. This would only pertain to Marner if he signed for 8.15 million or less. Thus as I have been saying Toronto would not be cap compliant 

Oh give it up, you have already even posted yourself the links to show that players can be on LTIR in the summer, so Marner can be signed using that space and nothing to do with the 10% overage... 

I think we can all agree that the Canucks simply need to win the Stanley Cup this year beating Boston in the finals while the Leafs flame out against Boston in the first round and then watch all their UFA walk away next summer. 

Then all will be the way it should be.

Our leafs hate should unite us, not divide us. 

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Provost said:

Oh give it up, you have already even posted yourself the links to show that players can be on LTIR in the summer, so Marner can be signed using that space and nothing to do with the 10% overage... 

You cant be over the cap more then 10% sorry but I just destroyed your logic