The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looks like one Mr. Shawn P Roarke knows what he's talking about ;)

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Just now, khay said:

We are going to have five new roster players compared to last season: Hughes, Myers, Miller, Ferland, and Benn

Of these, 4 players are top 4D and top 6F. And although Benn is not a top 4D, he is essentially an improvement over Hutton.

I'm really optimistic for the new season, mainly because our defence improved greatly and it doesn't have gaping hole like it did before:

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Stecher

Sure, it will have trouble against the best teams in the NHL but it should be good enough against most teams. The team's strength shouldn't be judged based on its best players but on the weakest players because the opposition can always exploit that weak link. I don't see much of a weak link on this defence.

We are going to be vastly improved in my opinion.

Don't forget the possibility of Juolevi and/or Tryamkin possibly being around sometime this season or maybe next at the latest? :bigblush:

D lookin REAL GOOD

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, khay said:

Pacific is still kind of weak.

Arizona, LA, Anaheim, Edmonton are not better than us.

Vegas and Sharks are probably still better.

I always feel like we can beat Calgary. Don't know why.

I'm not sold on the Sharks this year.  I think there is some chance they end up like the Ducks did last season.

7 hours ago, khay said:

Pacific is still kind of weak.

Arizona, LA, Anaheim, Edmonton are not better than us.

Vegas and Sharks are probably still better.

I always feel like we can beat Calgary. Don't know why.

I’d agree our division is weaker then most, and that the Central is now stacked but as another poster pointed out we didn’t fair well against it last year and would add we took a good amount of points playing better teams in other divisions too.  Agree with your assessments but also think SJ is a team that could miss out on the playoffs if things don’t go right for them, they lost a lot of key players (around five).  Thornton coming back would keep them more relevant but their window is almost shut for the time being. ARI and Van are on the rise, I’d have only Vegas and Calgary ahead of us for sure ...

Where Roarke gets it right is that he knows it's the kids driving the bus.  

That's the bet - not Miller or Myers or Ferland or Benn but Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser and Hughes.  

Like how he still has some faith in Juolevi as well.  

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Where Roarke gets it right is that he knows it's the kids driving the bus.  

That's the bet - not Miller or Myers or Ferland or Benn but Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser and Hughes.  

Like how he still has some faith in Juolevi as well.  

I think this might be one of the few times I've ever seen anyone mention that Juolevi will be a good player. Sometimes don't even see that support in CDC. Juolevi is such a smart player, smooth skating, no panic, solid defensively, etc. Might be way out there with this guess, but I think we could see a #1 pairing of Juoelvi - Hughes one day. Both players are so smart, so great at skating and decision making. They would also compliment erach other very well. Juolevi is the stable defensive guy who will TCB in his ow end, Hughes is the mobile rover who provides some offence.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

There’s so much to be excited about with the continued development of the youth, but it’s the fact that we literally got rid of several of our worst players from last year and replaced them with all substantially better players that has me believing we can make a serious push for the playoffs this year. 

Out:

Hutton

Pouliot

Granlund

Spooner 

In:

Myers 

Benn

Miller

Ferland 

Honourable Mention:

Fantenberg (good depth signing)

Also the Gudbranson for Pearson trade has looked like a pretty big win for us. And Demko is obviously far more promising than Lee and should pull out more wins for us. Overall our roster at the beginning of this season is much better than last. 

Every year as summer winds down I get excited for the Nucks season to begin, including the last handful of years when I (and basically everyone) knew that they were a bottom feeder team. But this year I have true optimism again and I’m so stoked to finally not be painfully hoping for losses to increase our draft odds, but rather I’m going to be cheering hard for every game. 

Edited by YearoftheNuck

Colorado got in with 90 points last year which was 9 points (or 4-0-1) better than us.
The thing I'm looking at is goal differential, not wins or points.

Colorado was a +14 over the year while we were -29.
Can the Canucks collectively score 43 more goals than last year? 
Ferland and Miller should hit 20-ish, so there's 40. 
A slight bump (hopefully) from Peety Brock and Bo if they stay healthy, plus (FINALLY) a real offensive defensive presence in Hughes.

I'm being pretty simplistic here but I think offensively the numbers will pan out. Add to that a better defence and Clark's influence on Marky starting to pay off.... it could happen. Not saying it will 100%, but to those out there who think this team is still miles away, I'll say this:

1*3AWGNRDlFp0HMeDM_0D7Kw@2x.jpeg

Edited by fecklund
  • Cheers 1

Just listened to a Woodley hit where he said we lost 2 games last season with Bachman / DiPietro stats.  

Probably more like 4 when you consider games Markstrom had to play when he needed a rest. 

With as good as our goaltending was last season, we could likely improve.  

On 8/1/2019 at 11:17 AM, fecklund said:

Colorado got in with 90 points last year which was 9 points (or 4-0-1) better than us.
The thing I'm looking at is goal differential, not wins or points.

Colorado was a +14 over the year while we were -29.
Can the Canucks collectively score 43 more goals than last year? 
Ferland and Miller should hit 20-ish, so there's 40. 
A slight bump (hopefully) from Peety Brock and Bo if they stay healthy, plus (FINALLY) a real offensive defensive presence in Hughes.

I'm being pretty simplistic here but I think offensively the numbers will pan out. Add to that a better defence and Clark's influence on Marky starting to pay off.... it could happen. Not saying it will 100%, but to those out there who think this team is still miles away, I'll say this:

Actually, it is even better than that (it is still 9 pts) but

it is a differential between goals for and against

So if we score 23 more and keep out 20 less

We are the same......and it is more obtainable

then trying to score 43 more goals