The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Amazon is experiencing a record number of forest fires

PhillipBlunt

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough. Nature may show people the same indifference on a massive scale. 

Oh no doubt, it’s just that people nowadays care about more trivial things.

Cell phones, instagram, fantasy sports, reality tv, looks etc.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

I am a hard core conservative and can't stand Liberal PC culture. So calling me a snow flake is absolutely hilarious. 

well you did have a triggered reaction to something, isn't 'snowflake' that the appropriate term for that?

Hard core? what does that even mean :lol: you let your truck leak oil just for spite? 

29 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough. Nature may show people the same indifference on a massive scale. 

unfortunately Phil thats probably what it will take. Many people don't even practice prevention for their own bodies, let alone the environment. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

A question PB. Assume the elite(at the top) have known for a long time that the climate situation was absolutely dire, & a runaway train.

Why would they tell the general population? What purpose would that serve?(their pov)

They wouldn’t. The more for them to horde. My hope would be that the good people rise up and kill them all. Hahhhah

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

A question PB. Assume the elite(at the top) have known for a long time that the climate situation was absolutely dire, & a runaway train.

Why would they tell the general population? What purpose would that serve?(their pov)

why do you think Bezos is building a rocket? 

• Cheers 1

It's frustrating how the a few billionaires raised something like 1billion dollars for the Notre Dame cathedral reconstruction but then something that actually threatens our planet happens and there are crickets. This would be something that would actually warrant international intervention. I hope the fire at least decimates some palm oil plantations that stuff is killing forests in south east asia and south america.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well you did have a triggered reaction to something, isn't 'snowflake' that the appropriate term for that?

Hard core? what does that even mean :lol: you let your truck leak oil just for spite? 

Triggered? I didn't want you to start a discussion about an idiotic topic that has nothing to do with the Amazon. Just stop. 

• Upvote 1

TBH, I think there's plenty of blame to go around. The real question is "what can be done?" This is where Bolsonaro comes in. He has a record of downplaying the negative effects of deforestation, so it's a question of whether he does something, or nothing.

I think most can agree that "nothing" would be bad news for everyone.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Triggered? I didn't want you to start a discussion about an idiotic topic that has nothing to do with the Amazon. Just stop. 

Bolsanaro has nothing to do with the Amazon? okie dokie. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, I think there's plenty of blame to go around. The real question is "what can be done?" This is where Bolsonaro comes in. He has a record of downplaying the negative effects of deforestation, so it's a question of whether he does something, or nothing.

I think most can agree that "nothing" would be bad news for everyone.

He basically said it's a set up. Lol sounds like he is a conspiracy theorist. Flat earther also?:lol:

Most the fires were started by farmers. 

On 8/21/2019 at 11:45 AM, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Cue the people who assert that humans do not have any responsibility for the current warming trend.  Anthropogenic Global Warming is a myth to these people, even though deforestation and subsequent burning of the Amazon is the work of  mankind.  This deforestation plays a role in global warming. But hey, facts over feelings right?

Well farmers started most the fires..

• Cheers 1