The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Wild re-sign Joel Eriksson Ek

Just now, DeNiro said:

The numbers are what matters in contract negotiations.

Leivo was traded for a career AHLer. That was his first consistent stretch of his career. Hardly a strong case.

believe what you want

his numbers were earned early

and then almost nothing later

no one will accept that his numbers are real

but you can if you wish

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

believe what you want

his numbers were earned early

and then almost nothing later

no one will accept that his numbers are real

but you can if you wish

I’d love to see Benning going into a negotiation with “Goldys numbers weren’t real” so we’re going to pay him an arbitrary number that we like...

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The numbers are what matters in contract negotiations.

Leivo was traded for a career AHLer. That was his first consistent stretch of his career. Hardly a strong case.

Maybe having the coach say “”this is a guy who deserves ice time. And for this reason?””

And also weighs in on? Whether he is likely to make it. Or not? Ek’s coach, a notorious hard ass, says things like “he gets it.”  

Factors in on whether the GM gives an extra 1/2 mill.  Ek is a Jay Beagle, minus the scrum after every whistle. Who may still develop into. JT Miller.  210lb guy who can play on any line, any position. PK, win a puck battle. Backcheck, fore check, hawk passing lanes.

Goldobin has not been doing any of those things when he does not score. Goldys coach says as much, that he has to.

Disagree that Goldy’s points on their own warrant a similar contract.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Maybe having the coach say “”this is a guy who deserves ice time. And for this reason?””

And also weighs in on? Whether he is likely to make it. Or not? Ek’s coach, a notorious hard ass, says things like “he gets it.”  

Factors in on whether the GM gives an extra 1/2 mill.  Ek is a Jay Beagle, minus the scrum after every whistle. Who may still develop into. JT Miller.  210lb guy who can play on any line, any position. PK, win a puck battle. Backcheck, fore check, hawk passing lanes.

Goldobin has not been doing any of those things when he does not score. Goldys coach says as much, that he has to.

Disagree that Goldy’s points on their own warrant a similar contract.

Of course management is going to be coming with their own numbers.

However negotiations all come down to comparables. His agent will be able to find many that says he should be making around 1.5 mil.

Benning has already stated they want to get him signed. So the coach can’t be that against his game. They must see room for development.

Edited by DeNiro

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’d love to see Benning going into a negotiation with “Goldys numbers weren’t real” so we’re going to pay him an arbitrary number that we like...

what negotiations?

he has presented a qualifying offer

goldy can sign it

or sit

(or did you forget leivo had arbitration rights)

Edited by coastal.view

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

what negotiations?

he has presented a qualifying offer

goldy can sign it

or sit

(or did you forget leivo had arbitration rights)

Or play in Russia. 

If it was as simple as signing a QO it would have been done.

An arbitrator wouldn’t have given Leivo more than he got. Probably less.

Edited by DeNiro

21 hours ago, mll said:

ErikssonEk's strength is his defensive game.  He didn't have a good start to the season but when Koivu went down with injury he stepped up into that shutdown role.  He played bottom-6 with no PP time but plays on the PK.  Goldobin was used in an offensive role.  

21 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Tell Goldobin to play some defense, throw a couple hits a game and play some center and maybe he can ask for more.

I fully agree with both of these statements - but it's not me that has to be convinced, it's Goldobin's agent.  And they will use any and all comparables to get their client the best deal possible.  All I am saying is that, while we all think that Goldobin isn't worth a $1.5mil average salary, I can't see any way that he realistically signs for that or less, given the other contracts out there.

29 minutes ago, Mastaj said:

I fully agree with both of these statements - but it's not me that has to be convinced, it's Goldobin's agent.  And they will use any and all comparables to get their client the best deal possible.  All I am saying is that, while we all think that Goldobin isn't worth a $1.5mil average salary, I can't see any way that he realistically signs for that or less, given the other contracts out there.

Is Goldobin's agent still Larionov? If so, he fully knows his client has a lot of work to do. If he wants a comparable, Virtanen put up 25 points last season playing very little with top 6 forwards and has vastly improved his defensive game while being a physical presence (one of the top hitters on our team). He makes 1.25 million. It can be argued that Jake had 20 points in the year that he signed, but he still added more to his game than Goldobin did. Virtanen has shown he can be an everyday player. Goldobin hasn't. He got 63 games last year to prove himself, so hard to argue that he wasn't given the opportunity to and he played with some of the top players on the team to pad his stats too.

His game isn't well rounded enough to produce the offense that he does, plus he's on the verge of being AHL fodder. I do think Goldy has more to offer and would like to see him breakout, but a one year deal at 1-1.25 million should be the most he's looking at. I'm not opposed to 1.5 million should we have the cap space, but don't think he's worth that at all and no more than a 1 year deal then. I'll give him a 2 year deal if he signs for 1-1.25 million.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

U wot? Boston could have had all three of those with their three picks in a row?

Boston's Picks:

13. Zboril

14. DeBrusk

15. Senyshyn

Right after:

16. Barzal

17. Connor

18. Chabot

21. C. White

23. Boeser

39 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Is Goldobin's agent still Larionov? If so, he fully knows his client has a lot of work to do. If he wants a comparable, Virtanen put up 25 points last season playing very little with top 6 forwards and has vastly improved his defensive game while being a physical presence (one of the top hitters on our team). He makes 1.25 million. It can be argued that Jake had 20 points in the year that he signed, but he still added more to his game than Goldobin did. Virtanen has shown he can be an everyday player. Goldobin hasn't. He got 63 games last year to prove himself, so hard to argue that he wasn't given the opportunity to and he played with some of the top players on the team to pad his stats too.

His game isn't well rounded enough to produce the offense that he does, plus he's on the verge of being AHL fodder. I do think Goldy has more to offer and would like to see him breakout, but a one year deal at 1-1.25 million should be the most he's looking at. I'm not opposed to 1.5 million should we have the cap space, but don't think he's worth that at all and no more than a 1 year deal then. I'll give him a 2 year deal if he signs for 1-1.25 million.

I would love to see this, and I think should be the max that he gets too!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

No longer Larionov - he changed agents in April.  He's now with Newport agency.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2019 at 1:36 PM, theo5789 said:

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at Goldobin signing for a $900,000, 1-year deal!  Maybe Larionov got your message :) 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Mastaj said:

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at Goldobin signing for a $900,000, 1-year deal!  Maybe Larionov got your message :) 

Me too, great show-me deal. Larionov isn't his agent anymore though, but hopefully someone got the memo!

On 8/23/2019 at 6:47 AM, mephnick said:

Boston's Picks:

13. Zboril

14. DeBrusk

15. Senyshyn

Right after:

16. Barzal

17. Connor

18. Chabot

21. C. White

23. Boeser

Yes, they roasted themselves with those picks. They had done their own mini rebuild including trading Looch, getting one of those firsts.

But they made up for it other years.  They drafted Charlie McAvoy 14th overall 2016. A strong argument can be made he is the best D that draft year.

And can laugh we picked McCann the pick before they selected Pastrnak. 

Pastrnak is one of the greatest picks in the mid 20's of the 1st round ever.