The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Fantasy League 2019-20

Nail

Carolina Hurricanes - 2020 Draft Review

It's hard to focus too much on anything but closing out a championship (Sergachev just scored the go-ahead goal), but management is still very happy with our draft haul this year. Especially considering a couple of months ago we only had a single 4th round pick. Our focus was primarily on stocking the system with defensemen. Hopefully 1 or 2 of them are ready to step into a depth role within 2-3 years.

• 50th overall - John Ludvig, D
  • 86th overall - Kim Nousiainen, D
  • 103rd overall - Cole Schwindt, RW
  • 109th overall - Mason Millman, D
  • 110th overall - Hunter Skinner, D
  • 143rd overall - Erik Portillo, G
  • 144th overall - Keean Washkurak, C
  • 145th overall - Nikita Okhotyuk, D

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Carolina Hurricanes - 2020 Draft Review

It's hard to focus too much on anything but closing out a championship (Sergachev just scored the go-ahead goal), but management is still very happy with our draft haul this year. Especially considering a couple of months ago we only had a single 4th round pick. Our focus was primarily on stocking the system with defensemen. Hopefully 1 or 2 of them are ready to step into a depth role within 2-3 years.

• 50th overall - John Ludvig, D
  • 86th overall - Kim Nousiainen, D
  • 103rd overall - Cole Schwindt, RW
  • 109th overall - Mason Millman, D
  • 110th overall - Hunter Skinner, D
  • 143rd overall - Erik Portillo, G
  • 144th overall - Keean Washkurak, C
  • 145th overall - Nikita Okhotyuk, D

I really like the Ludvig pick. He'll play.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, theminister said:

I really like the Ludvig pick. He'll play.

Thanks! He was definitely my top target, and moved up from #67 to make sure I got him.

Schwindt and Okhotyuk are already signed as well. I think the latter has a good shot to play, but more as a defensive player. Washkurak may just will himself into a bottom-6 role, just a workhorse.

Considering where I picked everyone, very happy with the haul.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Thanks! He was definitely my top target, and moved up from #67 to make sure I got him.

Schwindt and Okhotyuk are already signed as well. I think the latter has a good shot to play, but more as a defensive player. Washkurak may just will himself into a bottom-6 role, just a workhorse.

Considering where I picked everyone, very happy with the haul.

This was the guy I was hoping to move up for. 

• Cheers 1

James Creighton Division Finals - New Jersey Devils (1) vs Bolshoy Ballet  (2) | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League

Very pleased with our 2020 Draft Results. Got some quality guys early on with our first four picks, followed by two longer shots in the latter 3rd, early 4th. 

small.png  To NJD: Pick 8 (Yaroslav Askarov , G)

small.png  To NJD: Pick 19 (Kaiden Guhle , D)

small.png  To NJD: Pick 38 (Ridley Greig , LW)

small.png  To NJD: Pick 39 (Ozzy Wiesblatt , RW)

small.png  To NJD: Pick 122 (Jacob Dion , D)

small.png  To NJD: Pick 127 (Artur Akhtyamov , G)

We look forward to a fun 2020-21 Season whenever that may start! Wishing both teams in the finals all the best.  Thank you @Nail and crew for running such a smooth draft! Amazing we may finish the draft before the playoffs conclude. Thanks to all the GMs who reached out to make trades!

Edited by Rush17

VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS DRAFT RECAP

#16 - Jan Mysak (C/LW)

#47 - Emil Andrae (D)

#78 - Mikhail Abramov (C)

#92 - Ian Moore (D)

#116 - Zayde Wisdom (C)

#140 - Elmer Soderblom (RW/LW)

#150 - Benjamin Baumgartner (C)

Very happy with the way our draft went! Went for offensive minded players in Mysak and Andrae in the early rounds, we are extremely high on both players.

Mysak is a guy who may go a bit lower irl, however he was near the top of our first round list once we figured out our positioning in the draft. We feel he'll take major leaps in this upcoming season, after showing a really good adjustment to the OHL mid season last year..

Andrae is off to an extremely good start in the SHL, has already picked up his first career point after a 10 point preseason. He may be a riskier pick, but has one of the higher upsides and we almost traded up from 47 in order to secure him.

We probably drafted Abramov a round too early for our liking, however we knew @D-Money loves his overage picks and he had 3 picks before #92, so we felt we needed to take him there. Has already signed a pro contract with Toronto, and hopefully he can develop into something with their weaker center depth.

Moore will be a longer term project, however he has some offensive potential. It will help that he'll spend next year with the powerhouse Chicago Steel, then head off to Harvard which has been churning out offensive defenceman like none other as of late. 

Wisdom is a guy that wasn't on our draft list to start the draft, however we like the situation he is in in Kingston, playing on a line with Shane Wright. Some draft lists have him a bit higher, but we are happy to nab him at 116.

Elmer Soderblom might be one of our more intruiging picks, he's a 6'7 winger that has some offensive touch. Been getting into some games this year with Frolunda with limited icetime, but we're curious to see if his size and decent skating ability will be able to get him somewhere.

Lastly, took a chance on Baumgartner a 2000 born that's currently undrafted. Had an excellent year in the Swiss league last year with 27 points in 37 games, and we're hoping a team selects him this year. A bit smaller at 5'9 but from what I've read is defensively capable. Interested to see his future progression!

Welcome to these 7 prospects!

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

St. Louis loves our picks this year! We moved out our 1st to get Adam Boqvist, an offensive D man we are confident will be foundational along with Heiskanen on the back end.

#36 Thomas Bordeleau - C

#54 Roni Hirvonen - C

#60 Sean Farrell - LW

#61 Ronan Seeley - D

#79 Alex Cotton - D

#80 Alexander Pashin - RW

#81 Thimo Nickl - D

#83 Daemon Hunt - D

#84 Tyler Tullio - C

#98 Pavel Novak - RW/LW

#115 Oliver Suni - RW

#123 James Hardie - LW

#129 Artem Shlaine - C

#139 Daniel Ljungman - C

#149 Gunnarwolfe Fontaine - LW

A few picks we're pretty confident on, a few gambles and a good spread positionally except no goalies.

Let's go FA!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nail said:

We probably drafted Abramov a round too early for our liking, however we knew @D-Money loves his overage picks and he had 3 picks before #92, so we felt we needed to take him there. Has already signed a pro contract with Toronto, and hopefully he can develop into something with their weaker center depth.

Good call - he was on my list ;).

• Cheers 1

Minnesota would like to say thanks to @Caboose, I mean Zoom for hosting this years draft. More importantly @Nail & his exec team @Monty / @Master Mind

It remains pretty awesome the work you guys do to run a great league for us. Draft as well...

Our thanks for everything!

image.png.5e39af60a63734f5f73ce55f1ea965a3.png

Minnesota feels we played the 1st round a bit safe?  We had eroded our prospect base, particularly of NHL ready forwards.  So we passed on some higher risk, higher upside guys including Boose's Helge Grans & @ActionJax09 's Lapierre, Nails Mysak. Really we thought Grans might slip to early 2knd, whoopes! But we felt there were safer NHL bodies still with plenty of upside.  It was also great to have an extra 1st rounder, a deep draft where Quinn was still available in the teens! A top ten pick most years?

This draft a needed boost to our prospect pool!

14th 1st round Jack Quinn >> 50 goal scorer in the OHL for Ottawa.

24th 1st round Mavrik Bourque >> Slick scorer & playmaker.

44th 2knd round Joni Jurmo  > Our take a Travis Sanheim raw, skilled & very athletic big D man. Needs results & some game smarts to match obvious skills, NHL Body!

No 3rd rounder.

120th 4th round Aidan Dudas > Overager 2018 drafted by the Kings, a solid 2 way forward, Team Canada WJC guy looks close to an NHL utility forward.

138th 5th round Rory Kerins > One of the drafts youngest, a wicked shot, scored 30 OHL goals, leadership two way guy, player who just needs gym time to make pro.

148th 5th round Yegor Chinakhov > No idea where I got this pick?  So picked a Russian overager already playing KHL at 19, should play this years WJC. Who knows?

• Cheers 1

All re-signing offers in mine and @Monty's inboxes will get to be tomorrow. Reminder that September 30 at 11:59 PM PST is the last opportunity to use your compliance buyout, send in any new re-signing offers (starting the PM for the player), and trading players with clauses freely.

The Oilers 2020 Draft:

F Tristan Robbins (30th)

D Kasper Puutio (101st)

D Samuel Johanneson (104th)

F Cross Hanas (107th)

D Jonas Brondberg (154th)

We believe that our selection of Robbins will be viewed too high for a few years. Then minds will change.

Despite no 2nd or 3rd, we feel we got value. Hanas is a good bet to be a player.

Happy to load up on 3 D prospects. Two offensive D who have a chance to produce. Brondberg might be the biggest steal of the bunch.

For a team that loaded up, and is locked in at key positions, the future still remains bright.

Edited by theminister