The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Williams Stepping Away From Hockey

Rate this topic

-DLC-

Heart of a warrior player.  

It must be a tough decision to step away...but it shows how very tough it is to get ready for a season.  To know what a grind it is and to have to be in tip top shape in order to survive.   At 37, I'm sure it's hard to keep up with the gruelling pace of this league...especially as the young kids with speed and skill are stepping into it.  

• Like 1

Sounds like he's leaning towards retiring. It's gotta be tough for most hockey players, stepping away from something that's been a huge and consistent piece of their lives from a very young age. He's got nothing to prove to anyone though. Three cups, a Conn Smythe, 1000 NHL games played, two world championships. I liked him better as a King and Capital than as a Hurricane but he's had a helluva career. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

Good layer, great leader. It is not difficult to imagine Willaims in a pro-hockey management role when the time is right for him.

20 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

That's player!

Sure it is. When was the last time you and Justin went out? :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, 6string said:

High school the NHL is not.

You wonder why NHL players are boring, any time they show personality lame whining about it starts. Don't like it, don't watch it, and quit complaining about it. The fans in Carolina love it and that matters more than whining “purists” 

2 hours ago, 6string said:

Hopefully that will put an end to their frat boy dance party post game celebration in Carolina.

Loads of respect to Williams a true NHL'er!

They can have their little show if they want, the losing team is off the ice right away anyways... However! Every team that wins in Carolina (could be a lot this year) should do the same thing, just rub a little salt in the wounds of the fans.:P

Edited by Chickenspear
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

They can have their little show if they want, the losing team is off the ice right away anyways... However! Every team that wins in Carolina (could be a lot this year) should do the same thing, just rub a little salt in the wounds of the fans.:P

OMG imagine that lol...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

You wonder why NHL players are boring, any time they show personality lame whining about it starts. Don't like it, don't watch it, and quit complaining about it. The fans in Carolina love it and that matters more than whining “purists” 

Two fave celebrations on the ice for me that come to mind....Tiger Williams riding his stick from centre ice to the goal line in Maple Leaf Gardens - love it to this day. The classic Alex Burrows Bow n Arrow saluting his lost friend and teammate is an all time heart breaker....

I love celebrations but choreograghy/staging completey loses me....

BTW who watches the Canes anyways, their own fans hardly showed up since 2006 SC championship.

Edited by 6string

22 minutes ago, 6string said:

Two fave celebrations on the ice for me that come to mind....Tiger Williams riding his stick from centre ice to the goal line in Maple Leaf Gardens - love it to this day. The classic Alex Burrows Bow n Arrow saluting his lost friend and teammate is an all time heart breaker....

I love celebrations but choreograghy/staging completey loses me....

BTW who watches the Canes anyways, their own fans hardly showed up since 2006 SC championship.

19,038 in attendance with standing room for the playoffs. PNC seating capacity is 18,680. Attendance picked up as the season went on and Season Ticket retention is over 90%. 

It’s taken some time but with steady ownership with Dundon we're finally seeing the team in Raleigh show they deserve an NHL franchise. 

10 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

It must be a tough decision to step away...but it shows how very tough it is to get ready for a season. 

Pretty much. I work with a few guys who played at a high level (AHL, NHL plugs etc) and they always say the biggest relief when they finally gave up was not having to prep for another season. A couple of them got in to other sports and never even wore the equipment again.

If that can happen to a 25-30 year old, imagine being 37 and staring down another off season regime and training camp when you've already accomplished so much.

• Upvote 1