The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Injuries] Canucks Injuries 2019/20

Rate this topic

86Viking

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

^ this makes me happy. 

Not sure how this effects Loui E tho. Roster-wise he can stay, but not sure about the salary implications of Sutter coming back... do we have to waive Loui for the cap space for Sutter?

One of Schaller or Loui will need to get waived now that Gaudette is with the team permanently.  I don't think they will waive Schaller as he would get picked up and is a good penalty killer and 4th liner to keep around.  So I think it will be Loui once all the healthy bodies are back.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dogcrazy said:

Can't really count on Leivo or Pearson to be a consistent top 6.  The only real top 6 on that second line is BO.  

Agreed, they can be complimentary 3rd wheels possibly but Bo needs a legit top 6 winger. I would like to see Boeser go back th Bo's wing maybe in the new year and give Ferland an extended look with EP.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

One of Schaller or Loui will need to get waived now that Gaudette is with the team permanently.  I don't think they will waive Schaller as he would get picked up and is a good penalty killer and 4th liner to keep around.  So I think it will be Loui once all the healthy bodies are back.

If Canucks are dead set against waiving LE then look to trade Schaller for a late round pick now. Could see Gaudette be sat occasionally when Beagle and Motte are back, won't be popular on CDC but Green has done it in the past so its not out of the realm of possibilities. 

37 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

If Canucks are dead set against waiving LE then look to trade Schaller for a late round pick now. Could see Gaudette be sat occasionally when Beagle and Motte are back, won't be popular on CDC but Green has done it in the past so its not out of the realm of possibilities. 

Schaller would be a good player to have in the playoffs.  Not sure why Benning would simply trade him for a late pick.  We don't have a cap issue with all the healthy bodies back.  We just have a numbers problem which can be easily solved by sending Loui to Utica.  I understand some people don't think that will happen, but with Gaudette up here full time now Benning doesn't have a choice.  He is not going to weaken the lineup just to keep Loui in Vancouver.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Once Ferland gets half a dozen or so games under his belt I expect him to get a shot again in the top 6 or top 9. Leivo is a streaky guy, hot right now but will go back to a cold spell and be somewhat invisible sooner than later and he can swap down to that 4th line imo

Ferland will definitely get a shot to be back with Bo again. Before his injury they were really looking good together imo.

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

from that perspective I think it might be Schaller who gets waived - it wouldn't be bad at all for the team to save 1.9 in cap space and avoid potential bonus overage for next season, and he's redundant with Sutter back in, and maybe MacEwan has shown enough to be an emergency backup for the 4th line... whatever happens it will be interesting. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

from that perspective I think it might be Schaller who gets waived - it wouldn't be bad at all for the team to save 1.9 in cap space and avoid potential bonus overage for next season, and he's redundant with Sutter back in, and maybe MacEwan has shown enough to be an emergency backup for the 4th line... whatever happens it will be interesting. 

The savings isn't really 1.9 million.  If they send Loui to Utica then that takes just over 1 million off the cap, so waiving Schaller only saves less than 900k.  Also, with all of our injuries it doesn't make sense to get rid of Schaller as Sutter and Ferland can get injured at any time, so we need NHL bodies to replace them.  I'd hate to go into the playoffs trying to rely on Utica players to fill spots due to injury.  We are in a good place right now, we have lots of depth.  I don't see Benning screwing that up just to keep Loui on the roster.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

The savings isn't really 1.9 million.  If they send Loui to Utica then that takes just over 1 million off the cap, so waiving Schaller only saves less than 900k.  Also, with all of our injuries it doesn't make sense to get rid of Schaller as Sutter and Ferland can get injured at any time, so we need NHL bodies to replace them.  I'd hate to go into the playoffs trying to rely on Utica players to fill spots due to injury.  We are in a good place right now, we have lots of depth.  I don't see Benning screwing that up just to keep Loui on the roster.

IMO the longer LE stays on our roster (when clearly he shouldn't be) the more likely the gentleman's deal between LE, JB, and FA to keep Loui up, and he retires after he collects his July 2020 bonus.  Why else would LE stay up with the big club?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think they'd keep Loui over Schaller tbh, I think they'd view him as a more complete player. 

• Wat 2

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IMO the longer LE stays on our roster (when clearly he shouldn't be) the more likely the gentleman's deal between LE, JB, and FA to keep Loui up, and he retires after he collects his July 2020 bonus.  Why else would LE stay up with the big club?

This is probably true Alfie.  If Loui stays on the roster the entire year and a guy like Schaller gets waived then most likely there is an agreement for Loui to retire in the summer once his bonus is paid.  I can't see any other logical reason as to why they would keep Loui on the roster over any other player.

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Schaller would be a good player to have in the playoffs.  Not sure why Benning would simply trade him for a late pick.  We don't have a cap issue with all the healthy bodies back.  We just have a numbers problem which can be easily solved by sending Loui to Utica.  I understand some people don't think that will happen, but with Gaudette up here full time now Benning doesn't have a choice.  He is not going to weaken the lineup just to keep Loui in Vancouver.

My personal opinion, the guy who is taking up cap space, who is probably the easiest to move would be Baerstchi. Even in Utica, he's still taking up, just slightly less than 2.3 million on our Cap. He's still a good player and is capable of contributing on offense, but there's really not an opening for him here, now or in the foreseeable future.

Which teams in the NHL have some cap space and are suffering for secondary scoring?

Can we find a team where we could do something like:

To Other Team:

Baerstchi 750k retained

4th round pick

To Vancouver

7th round pick

I know people point at the fact that he didn't get picked up from waivers for free, but its not as easy as people think, to claim someone from waivers at the start of the season, when the whole frenzy is going on. Now, he's through waivers, a team can take him, call him up to fill in for injuries and then send him back to their own farm system if needed.

When I look at who we have, I don't see a lot of guys that I think make sense to waive etc. 

If its just a question of freeing up a roster spot, I think Loui is the guy that they waive, even if he never reports to Utica. In a playoff series, he currently ranks below everyone else currently on the roster, and its not like he's still young enough that there's a chance we're going to see any substantial improvement in his game.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think they'd keep Loui over Schaller tbh, I think they'd view him as a more complete player. 

Your going “Deep State” Jimmy,..  

Schaller gives 10 times the effort and sacrifice, he is part of some true chemistry when Motte and Beagle are teamed with him.

Eriksson has thrived on luck this season as in seasons past.

Waive Eriksson,  he clears, goes to Utica and either reinvents himself of quits,. That is a no lose situation in a player that is lost.

As much as Acquillini loves the game, I think he can see this as a team that plays better when Eriksson is not on it.. more excitement, more seats sold, and recover Erikssons salary in the first round of the playoffs.

I think That is being pragmatic, and the best thing to do for the players and org.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Your going “Deep State” Jimmy,..  

Schaller gives 10 times the effort and sacrifice, he is part of some true chemistry when Motte and Beagle are teamed with him.

Eriksson has thrived on luck this season as in seasons past.

Waive Eriksson,  he clears, goes to Utica and either reinvents himself of quits,. That is a no lose situation in a player that is lost.

As much as Acquillini loves the game, I think he can see this as a team that plays better when Eriksson is not on it.. more excitement, more seats sold, and recover Erikssons salary in the first round of the playoffs.

I think That is being pragmatic, and the best thing to do for the players and org.

:lol: well, its how I think Benning and Green would view it. I could be wrong. 

• Cheers 1