The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 50th Anniversary??

Rate this topic

Joshwer

From what I understand...

1970-71: 1st season
In respect to 1971: 1st year

2010-11 season: 40th season (if you don't include the lockout season) -- CELEBRATION
In respect to 2011: 41st year

2019-20 season: 49th season (if you don't include the lockout year)
In respect to 2020: 50th year -- CELEBRATION

• Upvote 2

We entered the NHL in 1970.

Half or more of this season will be played in 2020.

2020-1970 = 50.

As in, 50 years that the Canucks have been in the league. Regardless of lockout.

It's not their 50th season, it's the 50th calendar year that they've been in the NHL.

I don't understand what is complicated lol

Edited by BrockBoester
  • Cheers 1

No, it is the 50th season. (If you don't subtract 1 for the lockout year) On your 30th birthday, you don't start your 30th year on the Earth, you end it. In October 2010, we celebreted the 40th anniversary of the club (40th birthday). In October 2019 we celebrated the begining of the 50th season

Simple.  If you count on your fingers ten times (one hand), or two hands five times - the 2019-2020 is the 50th season including lockouts, that the Vancouver Canucks have been around - since their first year in 1970-71. 

If thats too many years then just do the first ten.  The tenth season was 79-80.  Crazy right?

Lol I laugh because I can see why this would be confusing to some people because 50 years after 1970 is technically 2020, but that's only if you count 1970 (starting season) as season 0, no it's season 1.

Here' s graphic to better illustrate the "counting it out" proposal because seeing it is easier.

image.png.e4cd542dbf834928e94dd91bac49bf4f.png

Oh trusty excel, so as you can see, the 2019-2020 season is the Canucks 50th season.

• Cheers 1

True story: repeatedly tested to be in the 99th percentile, graduated with honours, skipped grade 1, healthy high IQ and language ability tested at the A+ level...but this gets me every year close to my birthday...Am I turning XX years old or just aging out of XX years old?

In Short, I trust the team to tell me when it is their 50th anniversary because why on earth would they fib about it? lol

1 minute ago, Primal Optimist said:

True story: repeatedly tested to be in the 99th percentile, graduated with honours, skipped grade 1, healthy high IQ and language ability tested at the A+ level...but this gets me every year close to my birthday...Am I turning XX years old or just aging out of XX years old?

In Short, I trust the team to tell me when it is their 50th anniversary because why on earth would they fib about it? lol

Well same reason why those stupid "this math problems stumps everyone" posts keep coming up.  Math is hard for some lol.  Fine not hard...deceptive.

Edited by snipes2539