The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 09, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Solid overall game from the Canucks.

This is how the line combos should have been right from Day One of the preseason:

1) Miller on the Petey/Brock line with the Hughes pairing backing them up.

2) Ferland and Sutter on the 3rd line helping insulate Gaudette and playing a straightforward North/South go hard to the net game (Virtanen should also fit nicely on this wing).

3) Using Leivo’s size and smarts to complement Horvat and Pearson.

All in all, the King’s got spanked although in their defense, they were understandably gassed.

Jonathan Quick and Corey Schneider have had stellar careers, but I’m not sure how much more their bodies can withstand.   If it wasn’t for the fact that the Kings smoked the Canucks back in the 2012 playoffs (and made a very disrespectful jab at the city after their game one victory on their Social Media, “to the rest of Canada you’re welcome,” I’d almost kinda sorta feel bad for Quick.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Would never normally do this but tonight I felt like reading through the game comments with the Gladiator music playing. Gave me chills, feeling like something really special is building. Bo Horvat will be a great captain! Our elite players are just getting warmed up. This was fun hockey to watch. Starting to remind me of the 2009/2010 season

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Watch them anyway. Being tired the next day will suck, but after nights like tonight it is more than worth it!

I’ll second that. Getting up at 3am to watch is tough at times, but This game was worth every bit of it.... still buzzing. 

• Cheers 3

Man, it’s hard to watch these games in the Eastern time zone. I made it through two periods, then passed out on my couch for the entire third. 

Woke up at the end of the game, saw the final on my phone. Wow. That’s the statement game that the fellas needed to make this year. Albeit against a tired team, blah blah. But what I did manage to watch was awesome. 

Bo is the perfect dude to steer the ship. Very excited for the near future of this team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I've been waiting to use that again since United stuffed Arsenal 8-2.

How times have changed.

I was at that game.... just like last night it was almost surreal.... yeah changed times at Old Trafford :(

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Solid overall game from the Canucks.

This is how the line combos should have been right from Day One of the preseason:

1) Miller on the Petey/Brock line with the Hughes pairing backing them up.

2) Ferland and Sutter on the 3rd line helping insulate Gaudette and playing a straightforward North/South go hard to the net game (Virtanen should also fit nicely on this wing).

3) Using Leivo’s size and smarts to complement Horvat and Pearson.

All in all, the King’s got spanked although in their defense, they were understandably gassed.

Jonathan Quick and Corey Schneider have had stellar careers, but I’m not sure how much more their bodies can withstand.   If it wasn’t for the fact that the Kings smoked the Canucks back in the 2012 playoffs (and made a very disrespectful jab at the city after their game one victory on their Social Media, “to the rest of Canada you’re welcome,” I’d almost kinda sorta feel bad for Quick.

Personally, I'd like to see Baer back, for a little more scoring punch

Miller-Petey-Boes

Pearson-Horvat-Leivo

Baer-Gaud-Ferland

Virt-Beagle-Sutter

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Love to see a game like this where the kids are really pushing it.

Clearly Pettey and Quinn were great but what a game from Gaudette.  Seemed like every time he was on the ice he was generating chances.  More will start going in.  He is even making Sutter look dangerous.

As much as I really don't care for Sutter, I like him much more as a winger and with Gaudette driving the play it seemed to work tonight.

Marky was great.

I think Ferland is still recovering, just doesn't look like the player we expected yet.

Welcome to the Captaincy Bo.  You deserve it.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, TheInsideScoop said:

Personally, I'd like to see Baer back, for a little more scoring punch

Miller-Petey-Boes

Pearson-Horvat-Leivo

Baer-Gaud-Ferland

Virt-Beagle-Sutter

I think I might be in the minority with regards to Baertschi.    I’m actually glad that neither him nor Goldobin are up here right now.   Both guys are too soft, and their softness could only be justified if they had elite level talent a la Elias Pettersson/Quinn Hughes.   

I like Baertschi and Goldobin as people, but both guys served as poster boys as to why the Canucks were able to be pushed around for these last few years.    

I like Baertschi as a call-up to play on the 2nd line in case of injuries, but nothing more.  Ditto for Goldobin.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I think I might be in the minority with regards to Baertschi.    I’m actually glad that neither him nor Goldobin are up here right now.   Both guys are too soft, and their softness could only be justified if they had elite level talent a la Elias Pettersson/Quinn Hughes.   

I like Baertschi and Goldobin as people, but both guys served as poster boys as to why the Canucks were able to be pushed around for these last few years.    

I like Baertschi as a call-up to play on the 2nd line in case of injuries, but nothing more.  Ditto for Goldobin.

Not sold on Leivo, yes he scored - but still think he’s got a lot to prove yet to show he deserves top six minutes and PP time and really wish Horvat didn’t have to continue with lesser quality wingers (although Pearson’s career has sure taken an uptick since arriving, nothing beats chemistry).   Would rather Bear was up but like management and probably a lot of us on the CDC fear for his career, not sure the AHL is any safer but at least the tempo is a bit slower and he has more time to get out of the way.  

You might be right - Bear will get another chance and when he does maybe he will stick for good (or until he’s injured-hopefully never again, Crosby’s career was also in question around the same age so you never know), his PPG definitely is decent second line production the past couple seasons.  

Goldobin is a tier down IMO, not sure his career is going to be much more then a career minor leaguer or eventually as a KHLer at this point. 

• Like 1

Good game for the boys, but the that was probably the worst game Quick has ever played.  We have to remember that the Kings are in retool mode with several players that shouldnt be in the NHL yet, playing.   

I liked the lines.  What i noticed most the past 2 games is how much more effective Sutter is on the wing.  He made something happen almost every shift.  Id love to see Jake with Gaudette and Ferland at some point too.  

• Thanks 1