The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Detroit Red Wings | Oct. 22, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Buff also played lights-out last Nov, SF1(don't get too high). It's possible 50% of their guys are upping their games, so Van might try & obtain them?! :^)

This time the offence is coming from all 4 lines and multiple defensemen.  The thing that will bring the Sabres from the top of the league back towards the middle of the playoff race is when Carter Hutton's tending begins to come back to Earth.

This team is really impressing me this year. They've been down goals before and have come back to win games. Determination and character. Love that Bo got his 1st career hattrick, Canucks scored 5 unanswered goals in the 3rd, Markstrom was great again, Quinn Hughes is remarkable. I also really like Jake on Bo's wing. I'm sure it'll be an upbeat flight home for the boys, and they must be feeling pretty confident. Nice that they have a couple of days before they play again. Can't wait for Friday when they play the Caps. One thing I was a little confused watching was on the PP when they had Pettersson on the left side and Brock on the right. IMO, Brock's shot from the left is deadly, the same for Pettersson on the right. Why did they change this?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

Got a great idea.  Sign Marky, then give Demko a bridge deal.  By the end of the bridge trade one away.  

Why do we have to trade one now.  Yes Seattle, but that is out of our control.  Other than Seattle, what's the fuss atm. 

Here's  another idea.

Extend Marky now, by 1 year, so that his UFA status slides to summer of 21.  Have a nod and wink agreement that he wont sign with Seattle, (who get a 3 day start on UFAs) and then sign him as a UFA.  Protect Demko and expose. Bachman in the draft

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I like Baer and Goldy, but it's becoming clear to me that this is the right roster to ice. The Canucks have been skilled for years, but kind of pushed around too. The Canucks look different this year, they look like a playoff team, and even when they're down goals, they will battle hard to come back and win. I don't think they would have the same intensity with Baer or Goldy in the lineup, and the Canucks would be easier to play against than this current group. I thought DET had this game, up 2-0 after two periods. I was blown away by how the Canucks just flicked a switch and then layed a beatdown in the 3rd.  Geez, imagine when we get Roussel back, how much more difficult they'll be to play against.

Well said. I think Baer and Goldy are still a part of the plan moving forward though. Especially Baer. Baer battles hard in his own way and wins a lot of board battles when he's engaged. That's the conundrum with these two. We have depth now and they are learning the hard way that they need to spend more time engaged. They will eventually get another chance here and when they do they better make the most of it. This is exactly the way top teams are built. Depth breeds competition. The Canucks in recent years lacked depth which bred complacency. 

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

One thing I was a little confused watching was on the PP when they had Pettersson on the left side and Brock on the right. IMO, Brock's shot from the left is deadly, the same for Pettersson on the right. Why did they change this?

I heard (or maybe read) it was to make it easier to receive a pass on their respective forehands - don't have to angle the body so much (disclaimer, I've never played hockey in  my life, so they could have said it was easier to breathe that way and I would have believed it)

If I could choose the one thing that's had the biggest impact for the Canucks this year, I would have to say Quinn Hughes. There was talk about how Hughes might be fatigued, but yet he put on a clinic yesterday. His skating and puck control are outstanding, great decision making with the puck, passes or shots. He provides an element the Canucks have never had (this millenium anyway), kind of a super skilled rover, he's everywhere. So smooth and slippery, really fun to watch. Is 50 assists in his rookie season out of the question? I don't think so. He's just getting started.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, kilgore said:

Can you imagine if we'd had kept fan fave Eddie Lack instead? Linden and Benning's earliest big decision. I didn't understand it back then as both seemed to be performing similarly. And Eddie looked like he was a hit in the dressing room, and fans. Good decision there JB!

This kind of game for Horvat was just what he needed as a new captain. He stamped his status, alpha of the pack tonight, with a hat trick, a couple weeks after being named Captain. These are the games he can take to use in the future. JV seemed to feed off Bo's energy tonight, like a big brother showing him the ropes.

And to deliver under pressure with a crowd of family and friends in attendance. A new level for Bo again

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

The 1-0 goal was Luc Robitaille's 63rd goal of the season?  Wow - I didn't realize he had that many.

Look who he was playing with!

Also about 5 goals in the 3rd,

Remember when The Islanders scored 5 goals on us in the 3rd in 2014?

We were up 4-2 going into the 3rd, we gave up 5.

Kesler came screeching down the hall into the dressing room, "Why me? Why me? Wwwhhhhhyyy mmmeeee?".

THAT was the moment that the old core fractured. 100% was the beginning of the freefall.

• Cheers 1

I am not sure if it’s been already said. We have plenty of power forwards on this team now. Bo, Jake,Ferland,Miller and Pearson all big bodies with skill and big motors. Now the thing with power forwards is that they can change the game but don’t show up every game. But man with all these power forwards we have, having one or two each game give us enough power and grit to get the W’s. Might be big but we are fast. 

What can you say about the goaltending other than lights out. Haven’t had a tandem like this since Lou and Schneiderman. It is a little pre mature to talk about trading one or the other for Seattle but it is indeed a great problem to have.

I was wrong about the result of tonight’s game as usually this sort of game is a trap ending a eastern road trip and red wings were a desperate team losing 4 straight now 5. But I’m happy that I’m wrong and looking forward to be at the game against the Caps on Friday. Way to go Capt Bo and your 3rd period hat trick too! So much goodness right now.

A09A5049-97EE-477A-95DB-C735DEA9771C.jpeg

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, it's pretty tough on the haters when Jake and the rest of the Canucks are doing well. They need to really reach to find things to whine about. I am really looking forward to seeing how Jake and the boys do in the playoffs this year.

yeah, like louie doesn’t have any points yet. gallagher use to rag on pat quinn, even after canuck won games by 6 goals. that is the annoying part of cdc. 

saying all that, i still want the players to get better at passing and receiving passes. quinn's passes remind me of paul reinhart. he was the best passer, i’ve seen.