The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] TDL ( if we are buyers or we are sellers )

So we are 10 games in and we are playing great, but im not convinced we are a playoff team yet. Either way, ive been taking papas cbd medicine and have come up with both scenarios. (This should be fun) and no we are not acquiring Hall, so he aint included on the wish list :)

Buyers and players i would target: 

Rakell - the team is going to start decending down to the bottom of the league. He is a player on a fantastic contract so his value would be probably high. Not Hall level, but think Lind + pick + mid tier prospect. He is a player who has really good two way play, no back down and stellar offensive creativity. 

Josh Anderson - a true Pwf with great hands/shot. Our team is already hard to play against, but adding him would give us back the hated canuck days. Horvat and him are good buddies. He is up for a new contract, so i would definitely monitor this. 

Gallagher - love his motor and shot. He always impacts the game. I would be a little worried about regression, but with his pure determination and two way play, he could be a great pick up. 

Toffoli - has a great shot, decent offensive skills, could be a good complimentary player for Bo. I am not really up for rentals at this stage though, so unless they saw him as an option going forward i wouldnt be for this. 

Barrie - i do think the Laffs will get their $&!# together at some point, but if we wanted to keep tabs on the local kid and still had interest. The way their cap is structured Stech ++ might be a good option for them. 

Sellers - players who i would look at selling. 

Sutter - He is a decent 3rd line center, he is just wayyy overpaid, by at least 2 mill per season. Here is hoping he can put up 25-30 points pre deadline and be an attractive asset. 3rd and a 4th. 

Marky - we are going to have to make a decision. Personally i would resign him for 2-3 years. But if contract stalls and management thinks Demko is the guy, time to start looking for 2nd round picks. 

Tanev/ Stech - it seems we will likely make decison on one of them. Probably could get a 1st or decent prospect + 2nd or 3rd for Tanev. 

What do you think?? 

If we do buy, I don't think we buy big. Most likely just a small extra piece. Also, I don't think we need to buy as it is right now. If we buy, it's because we're in the playoff race and have some serious injuries that might make us fall out of the race.

All in all, I'd rather avoid buying right now just to scrape into the playoffs and lose. I'd rather let the chips fall where they may. If we were closer to Cup contention, I'd be more down, but not as I expect it to be right now.

• Upvote 2

Rakell and Gallagher are wildly unrealistic targets   Especially Gallagher.  There’s no reason to think Montreal has any interest in moving him.  They have bucketloads of cap space, is on an amazing contract, loves the city, the city lives him. He never takes a night off, he wears an A but is the heart and soul of the team.  He’s also their top winger and has put up consecutive 30+ goal seasons. 

IF he was available (which he’s not). The price would be far more than you’d want to give up to get him. 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Like 1

I don't think this is our year to buy.. 

with the cap restrictions we're dealing with - Luongo, Loui, etc - and the stage of development of the youngbloods, I believe we mostly stay the course, it's not our year to make a deep run.. we do need to get the boys some playoff experience, but that will come, either this year or next. 

pieces to sell? yah sure, the usual suspects.. Sutter could maybe find a home on a playoff team, as could Tanev or maybe even Pearson.. not sure anyone really wants our castoffs, but test the waters anyways.. better to trade Tanev for something decent than lose him to free agency or resign for too much.. although he might be good with Hughes and the 2nd line duties might keep him healthy.. time will tell.. 

the goalie situation is too soon to judge.. even if Marky got injured & Demko was thrown into the #1 & thrived, it would be hard to part ways with either of them this year. The potential trouble is JM needs a new contract, and we can only protect one in the expansion draft.. it will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

If we do buy, I don't think we buy big. Most likely just a small extra piece. Also, I don't think we need to buy as it is right now. If we buy, it's because we're in the playoff race and have some serious injuries that might make us fall out of the race.

All in all, I'd rather avoid buying right now just to scrape into the playoffs and lose. I'd rather let the chips fall where they may. If we were closer to Cup contention, I'd be more down, but not as I expect it to be right now.

Agree, barring a chiarelli like offer coming our way just let this group sink or swim themselves this year