The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Hard for a police officer wearing a full Burqa to run down a bad guy stealing from cars in downtown victoria near the mcdonalds don't you think?

so for that one extreme example, you try to justify banning all symbols? 

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so for that one extreme example, you try to justify banning all symbols? 

Well the only fair way is exactly that. Ban all religous symbols..... so no one religion is being targeted.

Keep your religion private where it belongs.   Religion has done more than enough harm in history by dividing people and communities. 

PS - as a sidenote - did you realize there are more catholics in India than there are in Canada.   I did not know that.....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

"stand for Canada"?  what is that supposed to mean? 

you're allowed to have the freedom to express your beliefs as long as it doesn't interfere with your job, in fact employers have a general duty to accommodate. 

there's no legitimate reason an government office worker needs a strict secular dress code, it befits no one, and someone wearing a piece of clothing hurts you in no way whatsoever. 

I thinking your forgetting something big....

religion freaks people out , always has. 

Also other religions are easier to hide , that way their not a victim of a hate crime.....to me it's asking for trouble either way cause it's painting a target on them and we already have a problem with shootings and racism hasn't gone away yet....

9 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You need to learn how gas prices are calculated a lot more goes into than just taxes. 

And I also call BS I was in Lethbridge on the weekend the gas was 99.8 when I filled up. Friend texted me yesterday it jumped up to 108.2. Checked gas prices this morning and it’s only 102.9

44D8CDC0-E711-46AD-A7BD-202D7BA20C84.thumb.png.17182bcba3ee981ae067a7ed1c329fa3.png

https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/Alberta/Lethbridge

but hey if conservative hating twitter user says it, it’s got to be true. Look at the amount of commotion outside of that city he got. Sucked you right in, bet you retweeted that too. 

If you want to control retail gas prices then what margin are you suggesting is equitable? You seem to be suggesting a cost of production + a margin? Most sectors have a pricing structure based on what the market will bear. ie retail has margins all over the place but + 200% is not unusual. Gold miners can only influence gold bullion pricing by limiting production. I think Kirkland Lake's all in cost are $850/once and market is $1525 = +79%. Both gold and oil is a finite resource. Is 79% margin a fair retail margin?  

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

"stand for Canada"?  what is that supposed to mean? 

you're allowed to have the freedom to express your beliefs as long as it doesn't interfere with your job, in fact employers have a general duty to accommodate. 

there's no legitimate reason an government office worker needs a strict secular dress code, it befits no one, and someone wearing a piece of clothing hurts you in no way whatsoever. 

I don't think it is that simple. Religion is often used in political ways. You gave no comment to @RowdyCanuck suggestion that KKK members could wear their garb to work using your reasoning. You are negative about the Quebec exclusion of religious symbolism being worn but that ban applies to all religion. Many are identifying this as a anti Islamic effort but this kinda ignores the influence the Catholic church had in Quebec for hundreds of years. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I thinking your forgetting something big....

religion freaks people out , always has. 

Also other religions are easier to hide , that way their not a victim of a hate crime.....to me it's asking for trouble either way cause it's painting a target on them and we already have a problem with shootings and racism hasn't gone away yet....

on a personal note, I think religion is goofy, but your freedom to practice it within our laws exists. So we have to deal with it. 

all this law is designed to do is keep Muslims out of certain types of public service. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I don't think it is that simple. Religion is often used in political ways. You gave no comment to @RowdyCanuck suggestion that KKK members could wear their garb to work using your reasoning. You are negative about the Quebec exclusion of religious symbolism being worn but that ban applies to all religion. Many are identifying this as a anti Islamic effort but this kinda ignores the influence the Catholic church had in Quebec for hundreds of years. 

I left that one alone because it falls under hate speech. 

The 'apples to all religion' part is very convenient when your main religion in rural Quebec involves wearing a crucifix and going to church on sunday. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

on a personal note, I think religion is goofy, but your freedom to practice it within our laws exists. So we have to deal with it. 

all this law is designed to do is keep Muslims out of certain types of public service. 

To practice yes but we don't have freedom of speech in Canada. They was a cartoon artist that did those funny images in the news paper and he got sued over a joke.....

last time I checked public service jobs deal with the public and over the pasted decade , a lot of Muslims haven't had the best image , they wear the similar clothing for safety too , in today's world prepare for the worst.....

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

To practice yes but we don't have freedom of speech in Canada. They was a cartoon artist that did those funny images in the news paper and he got sued over a joke.....

last time I checked public service jobs deal with the public and over the pasted decade , a lot of Muslims haven't had the best image , they wear the similar clothing for safety too , in today's world prepare for the worst.....

not like the US has, no.

What I really dislike about this law is the premise its based in, there's no evidence for it, its based in fear. It assumes you can't do your job wearing certain clothing, and outside of a few extreme examples (that the law handled anyway) its not supported. Its also very convenient that French Catholics aren't effected in any way whatsoever. 

Its the idiotic language law re-purposed for clothing. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The 'apples to all religion' part is very convenient when your main religion in rural Quebec involves wearing a crucifix and going to church on sunday. 

But if the KKK was religion , you couldn't stop them and wouldn't be the first religion with hate in there....

you would have to respect them the same way you respect any religion , even if you don't agree with them.

heck there was someone in b.c that got his I.D picture with a noodle strainer on their head and all cause he said it was within his religion rights.....

thats the type of crap I don't want to see. 

If its so important to them find a job where they can wear what ever. Just be thankful to be here....

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not like the US has, no.

What I really dislike about this law is the premise its based in, there's no evidence for it, its based in fear. It assumes you can't do your job wearing certain clothing, and outside of a few extreme examples (that the law handled anyway) its not supported. Its also very convenient that French Catholics aren't effected in any way whatsoever. 

Its the idiotic language law re-purposed for clothing. 

Well to sum all that all religion isn't as simple as christen or catholic , most wear a cross that's it. It's not something  someone can see from a mile away or you'll even catch at first if your not looking....

it just hits some people harder then others. 

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

because it doesn't effect how they do their jobs. 

Sure it does. 

Religious symbols send a message before the person even opens their mouth.

Its says 'I follow the word of my sky fairy more than the oath I took to serve you as a public servant'

In my case I have very visible anti-christian tattoos on my forearm. If I saw a police officer with a big cross around his neck and a rosary hanging from his rear view mirror I would get nervous. I would think this guy might hate me and he doesn't know me. What if I had a tattoo of Mohammed and the cop was a Muslim? 

I would expect both my two examples would act accordingly and professional but my heart would be beating a bit faster at minimum. So, I contend it does affect how they can do their job. Religions scare some people and the idea that the person with a gun and cuffs worships an imaginary being should be something kept to themselves and their private life. 

Since we the public pay for these salaries, I would like there to be no religious symbols in public service jobs.

What do you think about the Sikh motorcycle group getting the helmet exemption? do you think it should be allowed? and again, what about the Easy Riders that would like the same privilege? do they have to make Peter Fonda a god first?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I am not clear on the point you are making? You seem to be focused on Muslims being able to wear religious garb in the work place so I assume that Christian stuff would be also. That rationale then extends itself to any group who identifies themselves in that manner. It could be taken to the extreme of KKK fans doing the same thing. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I would check your source. This is totally inaccurate.

It's been a while since I have seen it over a buck

Don’t you know hip knows more about Alberta then albertan’s do. Haha

He’s been caught, he saw an anti-conservative tweet, jumped the wagon and reposted it in an attempt to act smart and condescending like everyone else with a agenda to prove. He didn’t do his fact checking. Then instead of just admitting his error, he doubled down by posting another inaccurate image without a source (again in an attempt to pretend he’s smarter than the rest of us) and once again Is wrong. 

Here’s a link from his most trusted source displaying his latest attempt is wrong again. as you can see, not once did Calgary prices average higher than $101.6 in the month of December despite his last post saying prices weren’t lower than 1.11 haha  image.jpeg.9ae3b7f63ca9260bf17a0a91960bdca6.jpeg

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5411645

Let’s see if he can go for the 3 swing strike out.....

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Sure it does. 

Religious symbols send a message before the person even opens their mouth.

Its says 'I follow the word of my sky fairy more than the oath I took to serve you as a public servant'

In my case I have very visible anti-christian tattoos on my forearm. If I saw a police officer with a big cross around his neck and a rosary hanging from his rear view mirror I would get nervous. I would think this guy might hate me and he doesn't know me. What if I had a tattoo of Mohammed and the cop was a Muslim? 

I would expect both my two examples would act accordingly and professional but my heart would be beating a bit faster at minimum. So, I contend it does affect how they can do their job. Religions scare some people and the idea that the person with a gun and cuffs worships an imaginary being should be something kept to themselves and their private life. 

Since we the public pay for these salaries, I would like there to be no religious symbols in public service jobs.

What do you think about the Sikh motorcycle group getting the helmet exemption? do you think it should be allowed? and again, what about the Easy Riders that would like the same privilege? do they have to make Peter Fonda a god first?

no, it doesn't on its own. Everything you're talking about is perception, nothing you've said is about performance. If a real performance issue came up then you could deal with it through proper channels.

We have the right to wear symbols, you chose yours, they chose theirs.

I don't know the example of the Sikh group or what kind of exemption they got - do you have a link for that? 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I am not clear on the point you are making? You seem to be focused on Muslims being able to wear religious garb in the work place so I assume that Christian stuff would be also. That rationale then extends itself to any group who identifies themselves in that manner. It could be taken to the extreme of KKK fans doing the same thing. 

no it can't, our hate speech laws would prevent that. 

• Cheers 1