The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

8 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

So your saying 70% thinks along the same lines of my opinion?  

No, but i do support Quebec bill 62 to keep religious symbols  out of government workers jobs like 70% of non Quebec CDN  citizens also support. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Heh jimmy

Looks like your fellow Canadians outside of Quebec do not share your views.... on Quebec laws on religious symbols.....  Niqab......

An October 27 Angus Reid Institute poll found that 70% Canadians outside of Quebec supported "legislation similar to Bill 62" where they lived in the country, with 30% opposing it.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_ban_on_face_covering

so you're saying 30% of Canadians agree with me? I'm stoked, thats far better than I usually do. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

You're missing the point @Jimmy McGill and I are making to you. Quebec is going against the Canadian charter of rights and freedoms. The Quebec government doesn't have the right to do this.

you're correct RS, they are going against the Charter. The notwithstanding clause is the weasel-out clause to ignore it. Its such a crappy solution to things, its really too bad thats what they came up with. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Actually I even took pictures on my phone for you Thursday evening to show you it was under a dollar. That fuel station in Airdrie you went to was 101.9 this morning. You should post your receipt. 

Yeah, but your picture was out of focus.

Do you know anyone that could give you photography tips?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes provinces DO  have the right to overide the charter......

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/notwithstanding-clause

Section 33 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, known as the notwithstanding clause, is part of the Constitution of Canada. Also known as the override clause, Section 33 allows federal, provincial or territorial governments to temporarily override, or bypass, certain Charter rights. Section 33 overrides can last only five years, when they are subject to renewal.

Lmao you're supporting a notwithstanding clause. I could only imagine what you would say if the BC liberals used that.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Your missing the point. 70% of Canadians outside of Quebec support Quebecs Bill 62.....

So if you are with Jimmy... you are both in the minority in Canada...

It's the charter ffs. The guy you call the greatest pm made it. Probably the only good thing he ever did.

30 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah, but your picture was out of focus.

Do you know anyone that could give you photography tips?

Good point. Where's hip when you need him. In my defense I was at the beer store taking the pic and it was cold out.

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I correspond that data to the numbers on my receipt.  That's about the only reason I even used that site, otherwise I'd have had forsturd and the wexiteers jumping on me about not having any source at all.  The main issue is that with that side of the fence, if you present an argument they immediately move to discredit it unless you provide proof.  If you provide proof then they deride it as false if they don't agree with it.  If they cannot disagree with it then they go ahead and attack the person instead or go off on a tangent.

I provided the only visible data outside of a receipt that is probably still shoved in a Tim Hortons cup in my truck that actually corresponded with the amount I paid.  $1.13.9. For me, it wasn't much because in my area of the Okanagan prices jumped from $1.13.9 to $1.32.9 in a morning.  

I fail to see how it isn't consistent.  if it's wrong or erroneous fine.  It's wrong or erroneous, but it doesn't detract from the price I paid to fill up before I left.  As for my statements in this thread I fail to see how they somehow don't jive with each other.  I said I paid x, someone asked for proof; I provided the only visibly proof I could find that didn't immediately only show the lowest possible price.  Other statements include how minimal the effect of the carbon tax would be and how laughable it is that kenney agreed to the revisions of the federal implementation and how exactly similar it is to the one he killed off because "it was Notley's" but the money now goes to the feds.

So if you feel my statements don't jive, that's fine please educate me.  if others feel that the carbon tax is so terrible fine.  but thus far their statements are kind of more towards omg nothing has changed.  So which is it?

I also want to say I appreciate your taking an actually mature approach to this instead of going down...that other route.

Thanks for your last line. I appreciate a mature approach too. :)

I will take your word that you paid $1.139 on Jan 1 but will have to say you got screwed. My local station (albeit a 45 minute drive from Airdrie) was selling at 99.9 on Jan 1. And still is.

I did a search on gas buddy for Esso near Veterans Way   https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/Alberta/Airdrie

Looks like a few people have left comments that the station I found regularly jacks up prices. Maybe this is the place you visited and they got you?

Reviews: 

• "Devious Gougers. All week the price has been under a dollar a litre and they raise it 10 cents first thing in the morning to catch sleepy bleary-eyed people before they put it back down to the regular price. Since the switch to 7/11 it takes 3x as long to get through the cash, also don’t expect understandable English." -- 11/27/2018
  • "the windshield washing squeegee suck, there wore out and need to be replaced." -- 5/26/2018
  • "Most expensive station in Airdrie; ridiculous " -- 9/13/2019
  • "Gas station needs to be cleaned and looked after more often. The windshield water and squeegee is never clean enough to use. Often you can't prepay and have to go in to pay for your gas which is very inconvenient." -- 4/21/2019
  • "This gas stations raises prices significantly in the morning. Observed up to 16.4 cents/L above other stations in the area for the morning rush only. " -- 12/11/2018

The CBC story that FTG posted before reflects prices I have seen throughout December. Never above $1.00. Usually around .93-.95. In early December I was able to fill up for 86.9 at Costco in Okotoks. My local station was 89.9 that day.

For reference I regularly travel both southern quadrants of Calgary. Most of that driving is on Macleod Trail. If you aren't familiar with Macleod it is the number one artery in the south that has gas stations. I go by at least 15 different stations daily. Also, if you aren't familiar with Macleod I recommend avoiding it  lol

Just to be clear I am not trying to prove YOU wrong. I am simply stating the data provided by that website is wrong. In fact it is grossly wrong.

Just think about it. That website says it takes averages. It's data shows prices $0.20 higher than what I have been seeing. If it's using averages that means about half of its sources are $0.40 higher than what I have been seeing. I'm sure you would agree that suggestion is absolutely asinine.

As for inconsistency you posted this

On 1/2/2020 at 3:50 PM, Warhippy said:

You're unwilling to look....prices went from 93-98 cents in Calgary less than 4 days ago to $1.13 give or take.  But you're unwilling to look or consider that it's simply corporate greed?

You, yourself said prices before Jan 1 were more in line with what I am saying. Yet the graph you posted from that website showed prices averaging 1.13. 

FTR I am seeing price increases of about 7cents. Very manageable.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

Thanks for your last line. I appreciate a mature approach too. :)

I will take your word that you paid $1.139 on Jan 1 but will have to say you got screwed. My local station (albeit a 45 minute drive from Airdrie) was selling at 99.9 on Jan 1. And still is.

I did a search on gas buddy for Esso near Veterans Way   https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/Alberta/Airdrie

Looks like a few people have left comments that the station I found regularly jacks up prices. Maybe this is the place you visited and they got you?

The CBC story that FTG posted before reflects prices I have seen throughout December. Never above $1.00. Usually around .93-.95. In early December I was able to fill up for 86.9 at Costco in Okotoks. My local station was 89.9 that day.

For reference I regularly travel both southern quadrants of Calgary. Most of that driving is on Macleod Trail. If you aren't familiar with Macleod it is the number one artery in the south that has gas stations. I go by at least 15 different stations daily. Also, if you aren't familiar with Macleod I recommend avoiding it  lol

Just to be clear I am not trying to prove YOU wrong. I am simply stating the data provided by that website is wrong. In fact it is grossly wrong.

Just think about it. That website says it takes averages. It's data shows prices $0.20 higher than what I have been seeing. If it's using averages that means about half of its sources are $0.40 higher than what I have been seeing. I'm sure you would agree that suggestion is absolutely asinine.

As for inconsistency you posted this

You, yourself said prices before Jan 1 were more in line with what I am saying. Yet the graph you posted from that website showed prices averaging 1.13. 

FTR I am seeing price increases of about 7cents. Very manageable.

That is precisely what I posted yes.  I myself filled up when I got in to Calgary for $.95 cents.  I left and filled up for $1.13.9.  For me being from the Okanagan I didn't even consider it really because we frequently see 10 to 20 cent per litre jumps all the time.

There ARE gougers out there, for me in my mindset there is little to zero in the current system and rack pricing that justifies a 20 cent increase while still maintaining a record supply and record production at an average of $62 a barrel.  The site I posted was as of end of day Dec 31st when many places were already ramping up prices in advance of the carbon tax.

If the website is wrong it is wrong, I cannot retract it though as it is already posted.  The receipt for the amount I paid was consistent with that site though which is why I posted it.  Otherwise I would not have posted it at all.  The issue with searching for a daily statement, or weekly/monthly average is that it is very hard to find one.  Almost every search of petrol prices shows the lowest price, which again should be quite telling.  

I enjoy how quickly the wexiteers jumped on it when I posted it.  I know that one or two of them will trot that out ad nauseam the moment they start feeling backed in to a corner via logic and common sense.  Guess feeding the gyrenes is important at times or they feel left out

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

That is precisely what I posted yes.  I myself filled up when I got in to Calgary for $.95 cents.  I left and filled up for $1.13.9.  For me being from the Okanagan I didn't even consider it really because we frequently see 10 to 20 cent per litre jumps all the time.

There ARE gougers out there, for me in my mindset there is little to zero in the current system and rack pricing that justifies a 20 cent increase while still maintaining a record supply and record production at an average of $62 a barrel.  The site I posted was as of end of day Dec 31st when many places were already ramping up prices in advance of the carbon tax.

If the website is wrong it is wrong, I cannot retract it though as it is already posted.  The receipt for the amount I paid was consistent with that site though which is why I posted it.  Otherwise I would not have posted it at all.  The issue with searching for a daily statement, or weekly/monthly average is that it is very hard to find one.  Almost every search of petrol prices shows the lowest price, which again should be quite telling.  

I enjoy how quickly the wexiteers jumped on it when I posted it.  I know that one or two of them will trot that out ad nauseam the moment they start feeling backed in to a corner via logic and common sense.  Guess feeding the gyrenes is important at times or they feel left out

You said Calgary that was wrong you claimed there was gouging by oil companies that was wrong you claimed prices went up a certain amount that they didn't that was wrong why are you blaming anyone else or insinuating other people will do something the only one who told a bunch of false stuff in this thread is you.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I have always said you are a funny guy. That sort of thing will get you thumped out here

thats true. I was driving a smart car on the Coquihalla one time and a guy in a white dodge ram with AB plates tried to run me off the road. Not kidding, psycho nearly killed me and my wife. 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true. I was driving a smart car on the Coquihalla one time and a guy in a white dodge ram with AB plates tried to run me off the road. Not kidding, psycho nearly killed me and my wife. 

His cousin was probably ready and waiting. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

nah, your price is same as my neighbourhood

I instead bought at Costco in Okotoks. Though at times it has been higher priced down there.

Okay well it's good to know that we're even then I always thought we were a little bit more. Every now and again I would stop at that centex on 52nd and you hit it at the right time and you got the three or four cents off whatever it is save a little bit. But I noticed last time I was there it's like they upped the price and then gave that discount which was just even to everyone else. Medicine Hat is really high they were like a dollar 10 everywhere in the city. Costco is always like 10 or 12 cents cheaper I think but I think you might need a Costco card and I don't have one don't even know how to get one actually.

Edited by Ryan Strome

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Okay well it's good to know that we're even then I always thought we were a little bit more. Every now and again I would stop at that centex on 52nd and you hit it at the right time and you got the three or four cents off whatever it is save a little bit. But I noticed last time I was there it's like they upped the price and then gave that discount which was just even to everyone else. Medicine Hat is really high they were like a dollar 10 everywhere in the city. Costco is always like 10 or 12 cents cheaper I think but I think you might need a Costco card and I don't have one don't even know how to get one actually.

Just walk in and sign up  :) 

• Thanks 1