The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BRAGGING ABOUT OUR GUYS!!! Update Nov 24th

Rate this topic

Snapshot85

On 10/31/2019 at 8:42 AM, Jester13 said:

I feel the same way. They've been playing great, but it's sooooo early in the season and they're just starting to click. I honestly feel like we're contenders starting this year. We're only going to get better and better, and we finally have a ton of depth to go deep, something that lots of other teams (i.e. edmonton) just don't have. We're a complete team in all areas with crazy depth, an awesome coach, and an amazing team culture of buy-in and compete. This 50th anniversary is fixin up to be a doozy!

I kinda feel like our team is like Vegas first year. Everyone kinda doubts but they just keep surprising until bam! They in the SCF. We kinda play the same game too. Fast, great forcheck, balanced attack and great goaltending. Big difference is we seem to have a generational talent in Pettersson and possibly Hughes aswell. Not to mention two stars in Horvat and Brock. Demko looks like he could be an elite goalie starting this season. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Krzysl said:

I kinda feel like our team is like Vegas first year. Everyone kinda doubts but they just keep surprising until bam! They in the SCF. We kinda play the same game too. Fast, great forcheck, balanced attack and great goaltending. Big difference is we seem to have a generational talent in Pettersson and possibly Hughes aswell. Not to mention two stars in Horvat and Brock. Demko looks like he could be an elite goalie starting this season. 

Absolutely agree. People keep thinking we're years away because historically it takes years like it did with the Sedin era, but this group is full of elite talent, and they're already showing their potential to start the year. The secret weapon is total buy-in like Vegas, and we have that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Krzysl said:

Hope this doesnt come out wrong... but the word generational has been beaten hard. Ive said it before that there are 3 players in the NHL right now that are generational which are Crosby, Ovechkin and McDavid. 

As much as I love Pettersson, I couldnt even say he is a generational talent. That proves how much of a special player you need to be to be called a generational talent. And Hughes is nowhere close to that level.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, HOFsedins said:

Hope this doesnt come out wrong... but the word generational has been beaten hard. Ive said it before that there are 3 players in the NHL right now that are generational which are Crosby, Ovechkin and McDavid. 

As much as I love Pettersson, I couldnt even say he is a generational talent. That proves how much of a special player you need to be to be called a generational talent. And Hughes is nowhere close to that level.

I would have to agree, they would have been clearcut 1OA draft picks if they were to be labeled a generational player so early in their career. Neither Pettersson nor Hughes were viewed as a 1 or 2 overall choice.

Pettersson is indeed elite, Hughes still has 60+ games to really show where he stands in the ranks amongst dmen.

However that does not mean they cannot develop and become a generational player.

Crosby and Ovechkin were over 100 points in their rookie years. McDavid suffered huge injury in his first year. He could have very well been the first rookie to win the scoring race if if wasnt for that shoulder injury.

Backstrom, Malkin, Kane and Kucherov dont have a “generational” label, but they are without a doubt elite players.

Do not get me wrong either, I absolutely love Pettersson and Hughes and believe they are very special players. But generational is not quite what I would label them yet.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, HOFsedins said:

Pettersson first year he was on pace for point a game. If he gets 90+ this year he is on pace with McDavid who got 100 his sophomore year. If Pettersson gets 90+ this year he is generational. If not then neither is mcdavid. Mcdavid first year was 46 points. Point per game.

Edited by Krzysl

21 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

I would have to agree, they would have been clearcut 1OA draft picks if they were to be labeled a generational player so early in their career. Neither Pettersson nor Hughes were viewed as a 1 or 2 overall choice.

Pettersson is indeed elite, Hughes still has 60+ games to really show where he stands in the ranks amongst dmen.

However that does not mean they cannot develop and become a generational player.

Crosby and Ovechkin were over 100 points in their rookie years. McDavid suffered huge injury in his first year. He could have very well been the first rookie to win the scoring race if if wasnt for that shoulder injury.

Backstrom, Malkin, Kane and Kucherov dont have a “generational” label, but they are without a doubt elite players.

Do not get me wrong either, I absolutely love Pettersson and Hughes and believe they are very special players. But generational is not quite what I would label them yet.

Pettersson on pace for 117 pts this season. “If” (big if) that holds up he is indeed generational. Hughes rookie season on pace for 60 pts. “If” he continues that pace he would be placed among the all time best rookie defensemen  starts. Both tbh I can see happening but it is a long shot. Both I can see continuing their career getting better. So I can definitely see generational talent potential. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2019 at 6:00 AM, Hindustan Smyl said:

JD Burke from “The Athletic” has been really quiet lately.

I actually called him on his BS on twitter the other day and managed to get a response out of him. He was talking sh!t about how no other team was willing to offer Ferland a 4th year. It was classic JD taking another jab at Benning, even in a season where just about everything has gone perfect for us. Here's the screenshots. In true JD fashion, he doubles down on his horrible takes.

Screenshot_20191104-225253_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20191104-225302_Twitter.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/31/2019 at 7:13 AM, Glug Datt said:

the stats I like the best are the team goals for & against..

47 goals for - tied for 4th

30 goals against - tied for 4th

+17 in goal diff - 1st overall

this shows team effort & chemistry.. this is why we're pretty much the hottest team in the league right now -

last 10 games 8-1-1 

it's a good time to be a Canucks fan

All awesome stats , but this one is huge.

• Cheers 1

On 11/4/2019 at 3:29 PM, Krzysl said:

Pettersson first year he was on pace for point a game. If he gets 90+ this year he is on pace with McDavid who got 100 his sophomore year. If Pettersson gets 90+ this year he is generational. If not then neither is mcdavid. Mcdavid first year was 46 points. Point per game.

As an 18 year old straight from the draft to the NHL.  And let’s be honest - McDavid has been voted the best player in the game by his peers two years in a row and a finalist again last year, plus and Art Ross as a 20-21 year old.   It’s a bit silly to be comparing EP with McDavid - I agree with the poster your answering too - only Crosby, Ovi (both scored over 100 points first year) and McDavid are considered generational - as in once every generation.  Would love to be able to add EP to that list - but if Kane and Kucherov aren’t on it ... he’s got a fair ways to go yet. 

23 hours ago, IBatch said:

As an 18 year old straight from the draft to the NHL.  And let’s be honest - McDavid has been voted the best player in the game by his peers two years in a row and a finalist again last year, plus and Art Ross as a 20-21 year old.   It’s a bit silly to be comparing EP with McDavid - I agree with the poster your answering too - only Crosby, Ovi (both scored over 100 points first year) and McDavid are considered generational - as in once every generation.  Would love to be able to add EP to that list - but if Kane and Kucherov aren’t on it ... he’s got a fair ways to go yet. 

Kane took 9 seasons before he broke 100 pts, or even come close. 

Took kucherov 5 seasons. So I agree not generational but if kucherov continues from now on then yes.

EP second season in and could possibly hit 100. If he hits.. could be generational 

5 hours ago, Krzysl said:

Kane took 9 seasons before he broke 100 pts, or even come close. 

Took kucherov 5 seasons. So I agree not generational but if kucherov continues from now on then yes.

EP second season in and could possibly hit 100. If he hits.. could be generational 

lol EP is a great superstar.. generational talent? homerism much? draisaitl is on pace for 150 points this season and he's not even considered a generational talent lol. while we are bragging we won the 2017 draft with EP.. Colorado would like to beg to differ.. If anything Cale Makar is closer to a generational talent than EP.. more than a PPG as a rookie defenseman? that's unheard of.. since 2000 there's only 4 players that averaged 1 point per game as a defencemen and he's on pace to avg more than that as a rookie

On 10/31/2019 at 10:34 AM, DADDYROCK said:

I do not mind any fan bragging about the Canucks,because the hockey writers aren't.

Even when the Sedins were playing, our Canucks never got the respect they deserved, 2 total gentlemen,future HALL OF FAMER'S and 1000 point players,NO LESS.

I for one will brag about our team, because they deserve it, with stellar play and with some luck and perseverance we can win our first STANLEY CUP,won't that be great for all of B.C.

Uhhh.

why would the hockey writers brag about a team that hasn’t won a playoff series since May 2011 and has played in one playoff series in the last going on seven years, and it was five seasons ago in A Loss.

weve had four different coaches in that time. 

You can brag about the Canucks all you want but even this year we’ve lost more then we’ve won, id rather brag when we got something to brag about or else it’s silly.

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever

On 11/3/2019 at 6:00 AM, Hindustan Smyl said:

JD Burke from “The Athletic” has been really quiet lately.

Its really ironic. The Athletics actually have more good to say about the Canucks than CDC has to say about them

I don't understand the wrap they get here. They put out amazing in depth articles that crush the haters and temper all the homers.

7 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

36f82b06323a5ed197da72e6d0bee61c614a32cf

You realiIze I edited my post literally two seconds after that, if you would of just looked at it (after the first minute) it would save you posting a meme that was relevant only 20 years ago. Steve Austin hasn’t said what since 2002. Lol 

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever