The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don didn’t mention race.  The hypocritical SJWs are spinning Don’s words. They are the thought police.  Be careful what you say, because the hypocritical SJWs will determine through their divine powers what you were thinking when you spoke.  

Notice it’s those with the SJW divine powers to determine what others are thinking, who use the confused emoji.  You can determine what Cherry meant, but are confused by what’s written?  

Personally I feel bullied.  My opinion, because I’m old, doesn’t matter and is determined to be confusing, and therefore of no value.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, xereau said:

They don't own the media or dominate entire news cycles, or have representatives who push their ideals into law, either.

Far left insanity has become a real problem, and it is 1,000,000x more prevalent than anything from the right.

PC authoritarianism has become ubiquitous with culture.

sad but true..

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

He specifically targeted immigrants had he gone on his regular rant that no one is buying poppies then no one would have cared but he specifically called them out saying you come over here and love our way of life and then don't buy a poppy... He was just looking for an excuse to go on a racist rant about immigrants. The problem isn't immigrants aren't buying poppies it's a much deeper issue which he feels that immigrants are just coming over here and taking advantage of the freedom "we" fought for. Was he in a war? Did he fight for anything? Did you fight for anything? The vast majority of us were just incredibly lucky to be born into a free country but feel that we are entitled to much more than an immigrant because of where we were born. We're just extremely lucky and then just as ignorant to anyone who wants what we basically have done nothing for. 

Horrible stuff.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I appreciate your interpretation, but the thing is no one really know what he meant except for Don himself.  IMO he was talking to everyone living the “milk and honey” easy lives of the city.  Everyone who was born after WWII too.  This is what I see in his anger.  He’s mad that we city folk, regardless of skin colour or where we were from, don’t wear poppies.  

Alf, if you want to interpret that way, there's probably nothing I can say that would change your mind. However, after reading his quotes and watching the clip live, it's pretty clear to me who he was talking about. 

Not that this means much either but you're the only person I've seen in this thread, or elsewhere online, who's interpreted the comments about being directed towards people who live in large cities.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, awalk said:

And you, apparently :rolleyes:

Exactly.  No one voice is more valued.  IMO Don Cherry was given the opportunity to keep his job if he would publicly apologize.  He then refused, because in his mind he said nothing racist.  This is completely plausible.  So why do so many young SJWs call for Don’s head, and attack anyone who doesn’t agree with their divine powers of being the thought police? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

As a first-generation immigrant, I did not think Cherry's particular comment was a fireable offence. After learning about the sacrifices of Canadians in the world wars, I proudly wear a poppy, and for the life of me, I can't think of any good reason why every knowledgeable Canadian should not wear a poppy. I have German friends who wear a poppy! Now could Don have expressed his views better? For sure, but this network has been encouraging him to share those views in this way for years and years so why get all uptight about it now?

Exactly, he speaks loosely about every topic, I almost never agree with him but he's entertaining.

He was doing the exact same thing, the only difference is this heated political climate of leftists have to strike on anything they can find.

Also, totally agree that every citizen should wear a poppy. It's the least we can all do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Notice it’s those with the SJW divine powers to determine what others are thinking, who use the confused emoji.  You can determine what Cherry meant, but are confused by what’s written?  

Personally I feel bullied.  My opinion, because I’m old, doesn’t matter and is determined to be confusing, and therefore of no value.  

I disagree with you Alf, but I apologize for those that are coming at your very strongly. It's your right to have an opinion.

We're all Canucks fans and this thread separates us and it has nothing to do with hockey anymore. I think it should be locked.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don didn’t mention race.  The hypocritical SJWs are spinning Don’s words. They are the thought police.  Be careful what you say, because the hypocritical SJWs will determine through their divine powers what you were thinking when you spoke.  

Alf have you been drinking alittle early today? You sound like Trumps circle of cronies  .

• Haha 1

Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Trudeau was supposed to be part of the young generation who should "know better". Even worse, he was a son of a Prime Minister, and as such, should have known better about political correctness...

Exactly.

cherry has an 85 year old brain as an excuse

what is Trudeau’s excuse? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

Canada has freedom of speech. That doesn't mean you can say anything you want without repercussions. You are free to call your boss a f&^%^&g a$$&^e but he also has the freedom to fire you. This isn't new.

True.

Now why was it a bad thing to call out immigrants for not wearing a poppy?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Alf, if you want to interpret that way, there's probably nothing I can say that would change your mind. However, after reading his quotes and watching the clip live, it's pretty clear to me who he was talking about. 

Not that this means much either but you're the only person I've seen in this thread, or elsewhere online, who's interpreted the comments about being directed towards people who live in large cities.

You’re a good person, and I respect your comments.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Exactly.  No one voice is more valued.  IMO Don Cherry was given the opportunity to keep his job if he would publicly apologize.  He then refused, because in his mind he said nothing racist.  This is completely plausible.  So why do so many young SJWs call for Don’s head, and attack anyone who doesn’t agree with their divine powers of being the thought police? 

It's plausible.

I'm not sure why, probably because a lot of them have nothing better to do but find things to be outraged about.

But the 'city folk' argument is making me laugh, that's for sure. It's quite a stretch, to say the least. Also it's very debatable that us city folk lead more comfortable lives than small town folk, who pay less rent, live in bigger houses on larger plots of land, and have stronger communities. 

It just feels like you are reaching to be anti-SJW more than you are making a reasonable assessment of what Donald said.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Grape said:

Except he didn't get fired for standing up for the men that fought for our freedom. You're very obviously twisting the situation.

He got fired for unnecessarily bashing and speaking down to those who showed no disrespect towards the men that fought for our freedom. The idea that it's disrespectful to not wear a poppy is ignorant enough, but to single out "you people" that "come here and love our way of life" (which clearly means immigrants unless you're choosing to believe otherwise) is as bad as it gets for a TV vet. 

common sense my friend, some people have some people don't

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Its the biggest stretch I have seen on this subject. Not surprised though.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

I find this ^^^^  extremely disappointing coming from you, Alf. Whether you truly do believe this or are simply trying to stir the pot, it's extremely disappointing from someone who I'd come to respect in sharing a laugh or two. :(

I totally agree, I'm surprised that Alf has this kind of view towards this issue :sadno:

• Upvote 1