The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nick Foligno suspended 3 games

Rate this topic

They got this one right I think. He's got not a dirty player and he doesn't have a history of this sort of thing as far as I remember. 

It's a fast game but this still can't happen. If this had happened to one our boys I'd have been screaming bloody murder. 

• Cheers 1

How did that get 1 more game than Lucic's superman punch? Kid had his head down in the neutral zone, that's no-no. Foligno only goes flying because he misses the hit and connects with his elbow. Match penalty for sure but 3 games I dunno..

• Wat 1

57 minutes ago, awalk said:

How did that get 1 more game than Lucic's superman punch? Kid had his head down in the neutral zone, that's no-no. Foligno only goes flying because he misses the hit and connects with his elbow. Match penalty for sure but 3 games I dunno..

Foligno was in control that scenario. Bellemare got the puck after it was bounced off the boards and was trying to keep the puck away from the Columbus player in pursuit and had no idea Foligno was there. He didn't have his head down, Foligno simply caught him with a blindside hit. Short of having a second set of eyes in the side/back of his head he couldn't have been prepared. In that scenario it's on Foligno to make the clean hit if he's going to throw a hit. It's an extremely fast game, but you can't hit a guy in the head. 

If Foligno had lined him up properly all that would have likely resulted is a scrum and maybe a fight. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Foligno was in control that scenario. Bellemare got the puck after it was bounced off the boards and was trying to keep the puck away from the Columbus player in pursuit and had no idea Foligno was there. He didn't have his head down, Foligno simply caught him with a blindside hit. In that scenario it's on Foligno to make the clean hit if he's going to throw a hit. It's an extremely fast game, but you can't hit a guy in the head. 

If Foligno had lined him up properly all that would have likely resulted is a scrum and maybe a fight. 

Eh fair enough I don't disagree with most of your points but his head is down for sure. 

Untitled.png

3 minutes ago, awalk said:

Eh fair enough I don't disagree with most of your points but his head is down for sure. 

Untitled.png

From that angle, yes. But if you look at 0:30 of the video onward it shows that he was tracking the puck and focused on flipping it into the offensive zone up until the last second before the collision. Maybe I'm off base? Regardless though, he was in a vulnerable position and it was on Foligno to hit him square. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

From that angle, yes. But if you look at 0:30 of the video onward it shows that he was tracking the puck and focused on flipping it into the offensive zone up until the last second before the collision. Maybe I'm off base? Regardless though, he was in a vulnerable position and it was on Foligno to hit him square. 

I may be wrong, I often am ;)

Just seems like a match penalty +1 game for a player with no history vs a guy like Lucic and his flying sucker punch. Either way hope the player is OK.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, awalk said:

I may be wrong, I often am ;)

Just seems like a match penalty +1 game for a player with no history vs a guy like Lucic and his flying sucker punch. Either way hope the player is OK.

No worries

I feel they got this one right, but the NHL is inconsistent with it's punishments at the best of times

Maybe Lucic got lucky with the spinning wheel of NHL justice :P

• Cheers 3