The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks will have a great chance of winning the cup in 2021-2022

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

The Canucks will have a great chance of winning the cup in 2021-2022.  

This is the year that I have marked on my calendar.   Why?   You may ask:   Here’s why:

1) Miller will still be on his “sweetheart” contract.

2) Boeser will still be on his bridge deal.

3) Podkolzin and Hoglander will be here with on ELC deals.  Both players are the real deal, and will undoubtedly provide Horvat the necessary 2nd line help that we need.

4) One of Markstrom and Demko will still be here, with Dipietro or a veteran back-up providing back-up.

5) Quinn Hughes:  My guess is that Hughes will be signed to a bridge deal a la Zack Werenski style (whatever the equivalent of 5.5 million is at that time).  
6) Tyler Myers.   Myers will be older, but not old enough to the point where his game will be noticeably worse than it is now.   He will still be more or less the same player.

7) Eriksson:  Eriksson’s contract will expire in three years, but mark my words:  He’ll be gone after this season.  Period.   31 of the 36 million will have been paid to Eriksson after July 1st 2020.   Retirement might be a realistic option here.     I’m not saying that this WILL happen, but I will say that there’s a really good chance.
8) Chris Tanev:   I don’t think the Canucks will move Tanev, and will likely keep him at a very similar cap hit (with a longer term being the trade off).  
9) Woo and Juolevi should be full time roster players by this point.

10) Elias Pettersson:    I think Pettersson is the one guy that will get the huge 8 year deal, but I don’t see us having cap issues at this point.

11) Edler:   The Canucks will either re-sign Edler to a one year deal, or will find the Edler equivalent in the off-season prior.    Given how expensive top pairing dmen will be however, my guess is that the Canucks will bite the proverbial boner and offer Edler another two year 6 million deal. 

I can see the Canucks facing cap issues shortly after the conclusion of 2021-2022, but I think 2021-2022 will be our best shot at winning a cup for the immediate future.   Please keep in mind that my math is super half-assed here.

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Not unreasonable, but I am beginning to wonder if Juolevi is going to Jason Herter us...

Give Juolevi a couple more months in Utica, getting his timing and game completely back and he'll probably start getting call ups for injury replacement. He's pretty close to being NHL ready now.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Too bad the NHL locks out for the 4th time under Bettman :lol:

Probably.

This better not happen. I lost love in 04-05. It has taken me a long time to love the game this much again. Don’t get me wrong I’ve been through thick and thin with the Canucks through all this time, I was downtown for every game in 2010. My true love for this game has only recently come alive

(1.5-2years). I pray this doesn’t happen.

2 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

I think even Bettman is going to avoid a lockout considering thats the inaugural season for Seattle.

Bettman:  "I am please to announce that there will be no strike/lockout this season for the NHL.... except for the Vancouver Canucks.  You guys won't be playing this year."  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Better chance next year with Petey and Hughes both on ELC, as long as they can move out Eriksson's contract.

Good points.   I gave the edge to the following year since Podkolzin and Hoglander would be here, while many of our younger prospects/playerswould either be making our line-up (Woo, etc.), or coming into their primes a little more (as great as Petey, Quinn, and Brock are, they are still extremely young).

So how are Podkolzin and Hoglander the real deal? Their resumes dont impress me. I have seen some Podkilzin highlights, he likes to drive the net which is great to have. But still doesnt mean hes the real deal. I'd like to see our older prospects start getting some chances like Lockwood, Lind, Gadjovich. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

The Canucks will have a great chance of winning the cup in 2021-2022.  

This is the year that I have marked on my calendar.   Why?   You may ask:   Here’s why:

1) Miller will still be on his “sweetheart” contract.

2) Boeser will still be on his bridge deal.

3) Podkolzin and Hoglander will be here with on ELC deals.  Both players are the real deal, and will undoubtedly provide Horvat the necessary 2nd line help that we need.

4) One of Markstrom and Demko will still be here, with Dipietro or a veteran back-up providing back-up.

5) Quinn Hughes:  My guess is that Hughes will be signed to a bridge deal a la Zack Werenski style (whatever the equivalent of 5.5 million is at that time).  
6) Tyler Myers.   Myers will be older, but not old enough to the point where his game will be noticeably worse than it is now.   He will still be more or less the same player.

7) Eriksson:  Eriksson’s contract will expire in three years, but mark my words:  He’ll be gone after this season.  Period.   31 of the 36 million will have been paid to Eriksson after July 1st 2020.   Retirement might be a realistic option here.     I’m not saying that this WILL happen, but I will say that there’s a really good chance.
8) Chris Tanev:   I don’t think the Canucks will move Tanev, and will likely keep him at a very similar cap hit (with a longer term being the trade off).  
9) Woo and Juolevi should be full time roster players by this point.

10) Elias Pettersson:    I think Pettersson is the one guy that will get the huge 8 year deal, but I don’t see us having cap issues at this point.

11) Edler:   The Canucks will either re-sign Edler to a one year deal, or will find the Edler equivalent in the off-season prior.    Given how expensive top pairing dmen will be however, my guess is that the Canucks will bite the proverbial boner and offer Edler another two year 6 million deal. 

I can see the Canucks facing cap issues shortly after the conclusion of 2021-2022, but I think 2021-2022 will be our best shot at winning a cup for the immediate future.   Please keep in mind that my math is super half-assed here.

Your not taking into account other teams rosters who are graduating either. I saw posts like this 2016 talking about the 18-19 season too and how horvat and virtanen we’re going to lead us to a cup. (Many had sedins still pencilled in on second line) I think this team is significantly better then too but a lot needs to go right. Can we at least get through a round or to the playoffs with this core before people talk Stanley.

myers sucks btw.

47 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

So how are Podkolzin and Hoglander the real deal? Their resumes dont impress me. I have seen some Podkilzin highlights, he likes to drive the net which is great to have. But still doesnt mean hes the real deal. I'd like to see our older prospects start getting some chances like Lockwood, Lind, Gadjovich. 

It’s the same people who went nuts over dahlen and goldobin and shinkaruk and every other prospect we’ve had.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Realistically I see us being contenders in three years when Eriksson contract and the Luongo recapture penalty is up.

By then our young stars will be seasoned vets and we will have 9 million in cap to add another big piece in FA. We might have another promising young guy stepping up as well

Hopefully they'll have a bit of playoff experience by then as well.