The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 23, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

JB is going to have the same issues with EP and Hughes.  Petey will be in double digits and that will decimate the depth of the team and likely close the window substantially

maybe or maybe not. I could be wrong but I just can't see EP and Hughes  being so greedy. I think they are invested for this team to win

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Putting it that way, a straight up trade, is interesting fodder. They all play a different style of game. But Mckinnon and McJesus have already proven themselves as superstars. Petey, no matter how much we want to project, is not there yet.  So it would be painful, but you'd have to make that trade. Especially for McJesus.

Now trading one Mc for the other Mc? That would be a tougher call.

NO!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

But if he plays a better team game and leads by example the Oilers would be a better team. Isn't that part of being the best player in the world? Insert Petey here. 

He has 41 assists in 40 games.

58 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I dunno... 12.5M pays for Bo and Miller, and leaves almost 2M leftover.  Some good offense and 2-way play in place of some great/outstanding offensive skill and far less 2-way play would make for a better team.

Lol seriously?

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Rabbit said:

3 Win Steak!

Motte got his first score in the season!

Bo got his first home score in the season!

Hughes with GWG!

Loui got the EM score!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!!

Loui was feeling the heat from Motter

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, bree2 said:

the nhl changed the rule a year or two ago and the puck if your skate is turned and as long as he didn't kick it , which he didn't , it is then a good goal. 

that has always been the rule, but it is just so subjective.

Remember when they took one away from Daniel because he turned his skate... never seen that interpretation again (why do we believe in the 2nd rule book?)

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

JB is going to have the same issues with EP and Hughes.  Petey will be in double digits and that will decimate the depth of the team and likely close the window substantially

Perhaps.  I think Canucks have a much better prospect pool, so those making minimum when Petey gets paid are likely gonna be better than many/most filling out the Oiler roster now.

Be interesting to see how friendly a deal they take when the time comes. Wouldn't put it past him to take a slight discount to make the team better.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Perhaps.  I think Canucks have a much better prospect pool, so those making minimum when Petey gets paid are likely gonna be better than many/most filling out the Oiler roster now.

Be interesting to see how friendly a deal they take when the time comes. Wouldn't put it past him to take a slight discount to make the team better.

Every player says that, almost none of them actually do it.  Peteys next contract will likely be double digits, then the Canucks are in trouble, imo

21 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Lol seriously?

Somewhat, yeah.  Using Bo and Miller was just an example, but for an Oiler team which has meh depth and struggles on the defensive side, they (with a decent GM) do better with the 12.5M. 

Teams need a strong leader to captain the team.  As great a player as McD is (and he sure is), how many think if him as a good leader?

Tippett has probably improved things there, but burning out the top two guys midway thru the season hasn't worked well enough in the past for them.  Oilers need help (not that I want them to get it!)

24 minutes ago, lmm said:

that has always been the rule, but it is just so subjective.

Remember when they took one away from Daniel because he turned his skate... never seen that interpretation again (why do we believe in the 2nd rule book?)

notice I said changed the rule, it wasn't allowed when sedin turned his skate, 

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Every player says that, almost none of them actually do it.  Peteys next contract will likely be double digits, then the Canucks are in trouble, imo

The only way this team has a long window, is if we continually feed youngsters into lines with the core, inflate their value before their 2nd contracts come up, and flip for more ELC blue chippers. Its how Chicago, Tampa, Boston, and others extended their windows beyond a single strong core.

Problem is, who do the Canucks have coming up to do this with?

1 minute ago, xereau said:

The only way this team has a long window, is if we continually feed youngsters into lines with the core, inflate their value before their 2nd contracts come up, and flip for more ELC blue chippers. Its how Chicago, Tampa, Boston, and others extended their windows beyond a single strong core.

Problem is, who do the Canucks have coming up to do this with?

I do think they're getting to the point where they can start trading off valuable assets to bring in younger, cheaper prospects.  Maybe not quite there yet, but close.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Could well be. A lot will happen by then, too.  That's up to mgmt to worry abt more than us.

We still have the better prospects to help with the window.  Do the Oilers even have a window?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

Could well be. A lot will happen by then, too.  That's up to mgmt to worry abt more than us.

We still have the better prospects to help with the window.  Do the Oilers even have a window?

As they improve, their prospects will degrade a bit as they pick further in the rounds

16 minutes ago, bree2 said:

notice I said changed the rule, it wasn't allowed when sedin turned his skate, 

It was allowed when Daniel did it, it was a rogue interpretation. imo

that play has being a good goal as long as I can remember

except when Danny did it

• Cheers 1