The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 23, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I hate McDavid as much as the next Canuck fan....

...but calling him over rated when he has 62 points in 40 games is silly imo.

I didnt say McDavid is overrated, rather his game play. Crosby is a way more complete player in so many ways. I acknowledged McD's speed which makes him exciting to watch. But he doesn't play a team friendly game a lot of the times. He's second in the NHL for turnovers.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

McDavid is the anti-Gretzky.  He is a me first player and uses his great talent unto himself.  Gretzky was the exact opposite, he used every player on the ice to the team’s advantage and set up plays before the other team knew what was coming.  Gretzky had the vision, anticipation and intelligence that no one else had.  And he still managed to score almost 900 goals.  But it was his set up play that put him above everybody else.  McDavid simply takes the puck and tries to beat every player on the other team with his speed and skill.  Absolutely great individual talent but he is not a team player at all.

Looked it up last night. McD is second in the NHL for turnovers. You said it well my friend. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, WolfxHaley said:

I get what you’re saying but how many of the kids you coached are Mcdavid?

Yip, funny. Its a style you see in many kids. Its because kids dont watch hockey games anymore. They watch hilites. Back to what I said McD tries that selfish crap ten, twelve times a game and it results in turnovers 90 percent of the time. Kids dont see that. They see the hilite when it works and think thats hockey. Selfish player who is currently second in the NHL for turnovers. Exciting, fast player who may be the best skater ever accelerating and turning with the puck. Time will tell if he has a career of championships like Crosby has though. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Right. I hear that all the time. Gretzky won the scoring title when he was 33 in the 90’s, beating out guys like Jagr, Fedorov and Bure. When Patrick Roy was wearing his large pads.  Were

you scoring goals against Patrick Roy?

Depends. Sandstrom and Granato were matched with him alot. He also played alot with Taylor, Nichols, and Robitaille when he first got to la. It isn't the dynasty Oilers, but he wasn't playing with scrubs either in la.

2 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Everyone is going crazy about the Arizona Coyotes! (46 pts)

We are 2 games back of them for 1st place in the pacific (42pts), with a game in hand

And 2 games in hand on both Vegas (46pts -2nd) and EDM(44pts - 3rd)

Actually think its to our advantage... leave the others with the pressure. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yip, funny. Its a style you see in many kids. Its because kids dont watch hockey games anymore. They watch hilites. Back to what I said McD tries that selfish crap ten, twelve times a game and it results in turnovers 90 percent of the time. Kids dont see that. They see the hilite when it works and think thats hockey. Selfish player who is currently second in the NHL for turnovers. Exciting, fast player who may be the best skater ever accelerating and turning with the puck. Time will tell if he has a career of championships like Crosby has though. 

90 percent of the time lol. C'mon.

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

Quinn with the win and Bo with his first home cooking goal of the season. Very happy to see Motte get one too as that man works his arse off. Great time to get going on a big streak. Now I wonder how many people on CDC are asking for new ankles for Christmas:bigblush:

Also I woke up this morning staring at this calendar and it has so much more meaning.F6084364-E4AA-4659-98BC-F5D6C230928A.thumb.jpeg.f81fcc5fed00005d9fec64a0b37ff7ac.jpeg

Eriksson had a good game didn't he

• Cheers 3

Love to see a win where the first line gets no points.

Secondary scoring has always been one of those problems that every iteration of the Canucks has had, as this group matures that looks like it won't be a problem.  Now if all the cap hiccoughs over the next few years don't screw this up there is a lot of encouraging signs.

EP continues to amaze, forecheck last game and just the defensive acumen throughout this game.  Nice to have a point plus a game scorer who plays 200 ft.  You could echo the same thing about Hughes.  Two amazingly talented offensive players that from a physical stature perspective should struggle defensively but use their skills and smarts to be great defensively as well.

LE finally scored his 30th goal.  Still think we are better moving Brock to Bo's wing.  Maybe he will be more assertive as a shooter and EP can look to shoot more as well.

Still a mediocre team but in the cap world the majority of the teams are.  Besides, as a Canucks fan for a lot of years, Mediocre is a good year and definitely a step up from where we have been.  Heading in the right direction towards good.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

90 percent of the time lol. C'mon.

Yip. The times McD tries to beat guys one on two, even saw a one on three last nkght at the blue line. I'm not talking anywhere else on the ice. I'm talking zone entries and specifically the opposing blue line on zone entry. He tries to beat guys, when outnumbered all to often. Heck, even the empty net goal was because he was thinking of skating it on through a wall then changed his mind last second and failed on his dump in. Result was a turnover, which he is second on the NHL in.

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I I didn't notice anyone feeling content last night.  This group has some great energy and can play against the top teams and win.  Not consistently, but this group has 38 games together.  New players this year.  Hughes, Myers, Benn, Fattenburg, Miller, Gaudette, Demko, Ferland.  That's a massive roster turnover in one off season.  The right signs are there.  This team has been getting better over the year.  It is not linear and the november slump is and was expected.  Last year we, what lost 11 of 14 in that span.  This season we were a 5-5-3.  I think.  Trending is still positive even with November factored into it.  

Looking at the top teams, they have all had alot of time together.  That is something that this group will get, in time.  

Good point.  Stability and players staying together really help a teams performance.  Look at the Oilers (:huh:) not a lot of changes since last year and they've been much better.  Don't get me wrong, there will be changes, just not so many.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yip. The times McD tries to beat guys one on two, even saw a one on three last nkght at the blue line. I'm not talking anywhere else on the ice. I'm talking zone entries and specifically the opposing blue line on zone entry. He tries to beat guys, when outnumbered all to often. Heck, even the empty net goal was because he was thinking of skating it on through a wall then changed his mind last second and failed on his dump in. Result was a turnover, which he is second on the NHL in.

He's 5th and he doesn't turn it over 90% of the time. You're taking homerism to a new level. You know who's above him in giveaways?

Doughty

Barzal

Karlsson 

Pasta

Offensively gifted players have the puck more. Score more. Take more chances. Win games more. It comes with the territory.

His takaway differential is better than that of

Panarin

Scechnikov

Marchand

Paciorietty

Draisaitl

Edler

Q. Hughes

Kopitar

Kucherov

Karlsson

OEL

Barzal

Toes

Pasta

Burns

Gaudreau

Chabot

Tkatchuk

Reilly

Carlson

Letang

Doughty 

Weber

Josi

Yandle

Klingberg

Just to name a few.

You'd be crazy if you would pass on these guys just because of their giveaway/takaway stats. Stop acting like he's hurting the Oilers when he's the only reason  they haven't been relegated to the Ahl.

To prove my point further

Eriksson has a +4 gv/tk differential

McD has -14

Who do you want on your team. I know who I'm taking 

• Upvote 2