The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] John Tortorella fined $20,000

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

It’s like getting in $#!+ for telling your boss that a co-worker is not doing their job. Essentially supporting incompetence and scolding YOU for it. Bloody ridiculous...

4A395E65-8545-41F9-8F9A-218B822E80AB.gif

Sounds ridiculous, but it's very real world unfortunately (personal experience).

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

When the league idiots say publicly their refs “manage” the games, that’s just like saying their refs don’t really officiate fair.  The refs, by the league’s own statements, try to keep the games close.  The refs “manage” the games.  Ever noticed how the penalties frequently end up the same number (or pretty close) fir each team?  That’s game management.  Keep the score as close as possible, by using penalties to change momentum.  Or all ow one team to get away with more, so they can slow down the better team on that night.  

Better be careful Alf.. walking a fine line to a 25k slander suit.. lol

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i don't agree

if something happened at your work place

and some one you deal with connected with your work

screws up

you really think it is ok to create a public scene and have a temper tantrum?

i think superiors would not agree with this approach

and tell you to calm down

and use the proper channels to deal with your unhappiness and grievances (you might even get sanctioned for your over the top response)

torts refuses to do that

and prefers that the spotlight be on him instead

when he feels he and his team have somehow been wronged

so what does that tell you about torts ?

Torts was always a hothead but if you look past that and see the point he is making is he wrong?

Refs cost them the game and he gets super emotional about it. These guys make millions even coaches make millions every year and risk losing there job if the team they are coaching doesn't perform you can see why someone would get heated over a bad call. I would and so would a lot of other people. Maybe it could have been expressed in a better way or give torts some time to calm down before he gets interviewed but either way I can understand why he is heated over the situation.

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

It’s good for the game to have colourful characters, but Torts questioned the integrity of the league.  I totally agree with what he said, as do many fans, but the league can’t have its employees saying stuff like that.  I’m glad Tots said it though.  Made for fun for us.  

Maybe the league should fix the actual problem and hold their corrupt officials accountable.  This is going to continue happening until the integrity of the league stops being questionable.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I guess the question is how often has this crap been going on and perhaps this was the straw the broke the camel's back? It may be wrong still, but sometimes keeping the status quo and sweeping everything under the rug while having the same crap happen over and over doesn't accomplish anything.

The league needs to own up to their mistake, apologize and actually be doing something about correcting it (this was asked of Don Cherry and he refused and got canned). As wrong as Torts may be for doing what he did, the league is just as wrong (or worse) for their actions. They are trying to force his mouth shut preemptively for a future infraction which seems to indicate the league will continue business as usual because they are showing no faith in being able to fix themselves, but rather stop the attention being brought upon it.

i guess that is part of the point

the noise created by torts

has drowned out any league response

but i think it likely the league response has not been as public

and was less entertaining then torts

and so was not really picked up or reported

i get it

sports is a break for fans from the real world

and so things simply are more black and white for most

the big bad league is evil

and players and coaches are fighting against this

(as they always do in the real world of pro wrestling)

fans expect this drama and approach now

it also feeds those ever present fringe conspiracy theories

3 hours ago, Shekky said:

Torts was always a hothead but if you look past that and see the point he is making is he wrong?

Refs cost them the game and he gets super emotional about it. These guys make millions even coaches make millions every year and risk losing there job if the team they are coaching doesn't perform you can see why someone would get heated over a bad call. I would and so would a lot of other people. Maybe it could have been expressed in a better way or give torts some time to calm down before he gets interviewed but either way I can understand why he is heated over the situation.

do not hold up torts as some sort of a positive example for me

he was an embarrassment as a coach to this organization

please explain in detail how it was a productive positive approach

for torts to try to get into the flames dressing room between periods

all those years ago

he is an egomaniac hot head

i have little time for this man

oh and don't forget

he held luongo out of the winter classic game

that same season

explain the reason for that one too ?
it's his ego

Edited by coastal.view
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i guess that is part of the point

the noise created by torts

has drowned out any league response

but i think it likely the league response has not been as public

and was less entertaining then torts

and so was not really picked up or reported

i get it

sports is a break for fans from the real world

and so things simply are more black and white for most

the big bad league is evil

and players and coaches are fighting against this

(as they always do in the real world of pro wrestling)

fans expect this drama and approach now

it also feeds those ever present fringe conspiracy theories

I think the noise created by Torts has simply created more attention over this specific issue and therefore largely greater issues that are too often kept quiet about. I don't think this should be a regular occurrence, but attention should be drawn at some point otherwise things will continue to be swept under the rug.

As a poster mentioned earlier, if they're not allowed to talk about the game other than generic responses, then why bother even having a post game presser (and people complain about coaches thinking the team doesn't need to improve, etc)? The league should have just apologized for not correctly calling the game and hope to do better moving forward and thus owning up to their mistake and act like they will do something about it. And then go behind the scenes and talk to Torts about not doing this so publicly and send a memo to the league that they don't condone the way Torts went about things (they can still fine him under the policy of the league). Everything just seems bass ackwards in how they handled the situation.

Instead, they are telling Torts to shut up and have set his next fine should he do this again until it's hopefully long enough to blow over. If Burrows didn't snap about Auger, would anything had happened to resolve the issue? You don't think Burrows and the team has said something privately to the league first and simply has seen nothing happen? It's like trade demands, it goes through internally first and if they feel like nothing is happening, then they come out publicly. These are all things that could be argued about how it could be handled, but at the end of the day, sometimes people have had enough.

6 hours ago, coastal.view said:

do not hold up torts as some sort of a positive example for me

he was an embarrassment as a coach to this organization

please explain in detail how it was a productive positive approach

for torts to try to get into the flames dressing room between periods

all those years ago

he is an egomaniac hot head

i have little time for this man

oh and don't forget

he held luongo out of the winter classic game

that same season

explain the reason for that one too ?
it's his ego

I'm not saying he is a positive example quite the opposite I didn't like him in Vancouver and when they first announced his hiring I was disappointed. Point of it is what he was frustrated by is an example of how the officiating is inconsistent.

2 minutes ago, Shekky said:

I'm not saying he is a positive example quite the opposite I didn't like him in Vancouver and when they first announced his hiring I was disappointed. Point of it is what he was frustrated by is an example of how the officiating is inconsistent.

He’s a great character to observe from afar.... just as long as he is pulling those stunts out in Florida, NY or Ohio and not in my backyard. Our market is a little too sensitive for his brand of showmanship, however entertaining and justifiable it may be. 

Of course Tortorella gets fined. He made solid points based in fact and the NHL doesn't like that. The turds running the league are a sensitive bunch who don't like it when the vast deficiencies in their league are brought to light. Torts made perfect sense in what he said, and didn't try to dumb down or soften his message. The NHL is all about censorship and has no time for freedom of speech. Absolutely bush league reaction by an absolute bush league.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I think the noise created by Torts has simply created more attention over this specific issue and therefore largely greater issues that are too often kept quiet about. I don't think this should be a regular occurrence, but attention should be drawn at some point otherwise things will continue to be swept under the rug.

As a poster mentioned earlier, if they're not allowed to talk about the game other than generic responses, then why bother even having a post game presser (and people complain about coaches thinking the team doesn't need to improve, etc)? The league should have just apologized for not correctly calling the game and hope to do better moving forward and thus owning up to their mistake and act like they will do something about it. And then go behind the scenes and talk to Torts about not doing this so publicly and send a memo to the league that they don't condone the way Torts went about things (they can still fine him under the policy of the league). Everything just seems bass ackwards in how they handled the situation.

Instead, they are telling Torts to shut up and have set his next fine should he do this again until it's hopefully long enough to blow over. If Burrows didn't snap about Auger, would anything had happened to resolve the issue? You don't think Burrows and the team has said something privately to the league first and simply has seen nothing happen? It's like trade demands, it goes through internally first and if they feel like nothing is happening, then they come out publicly. These are all things that could be argued about how it could be handled, but at the end of the day, sometimes people have had enough.

I wouldn't even say it shouldn't be done infrequently.  The NHL has proven to be unwilling to address the gross unprofessionalism in their officiating ranks voluntarily.  I have little hope it will be fixed until we get a commissioner who cares about the integrity of the sport, but publicly calling out these criminals is the only real recourse short of the Rocket Richard solution.