The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Pavel Buchnevich

Screw

I think this is a guy the Canucks should target.  He is 24 and has yet to put it together on a regular basis.  He has the skill to play top two lines.  The age, size and skill set make him a prime target in my opinion.  Perhaps Green can bring out his best like he has done for Virtanen.

40 minutes ago, Screw said:

I think this is a guy the Canucks should target.  He is 24 and has yet to put it together on a regular basis.  He has the skill to play top two lines.  The age, size and skill set make him a prime target in my opinion.  Perhaps Green can bring out his best like he has done for Virtanen.

I agree. I would love this guy. Who do we give up though? We have a log jam already and need contracts out. How do we make this work?

5 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

I agree. I would love this guy. Who do we give up though? We have a log jam already and need contracts out. How do we make this work?

I'm not sure.  NYR has probably seen Utica ripping it up and may be interested in a prospect.  Contract wise I am not sure how to work it with the Canucks forward group.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Screw said:

I'm not sure.  NYR has probably seen Utica ripping it up and may be interested in a prospect.  Contract wise I am not sure how to work it with the Canucks forward group.

This is the thing. If somehow it came to fruition and the core stayed together without giving up Hogs, a first or Podz, I would be pretty happy.

The timing could be right, but I suspect he won't come cheap. Even though he hasn't put it all together yet, he's still a good 45-50 point guy who's good for 20 goals. Unless your name is Sven Baertschi, that's usually worth a fair bit.

• Haha 1

How do we get a guy like that without throwing away our depth?

Lotto Line, Bo and Pearson, plus Gaudette should be off-limits in terms of forwards going back (Jake should be too but we really wouldn't have much to offer if we kept everyone in the top-9 except maybe Roussel or Loui/ Leivo, which they probably don't need).  Also Rangers are probably retooling, since they're 7th in their division?  Not sure they'd sell a young asset like him though, since he's on pace still for around 40 points even if he's "yet to put it all together".  Panarin, Zibanejad, Buchnevich and Kakko are probably in the critical mass core moving forward, with Skjei and Trouba and Georgiev/ Shesterkin in goal.       

3 hours ago, dszeto80 said:

would a rights to trymankin, goldy, and baer work?

Two waiver wire players and the rights to a player that took his puck and went home because he didn’t like his ice time?  I’m gonna go ahead and say the Rangers reject that offer 

Looking at his stats he is a 40-50 point player 3.25 cap hit for 2 years left. 24 years old and likely only going to improve further. 

I imagine the asking price will be pretty decent for them to say yes. Also the Rangers aren't having a great season, but it isn't a blowout either. I would be curious about their goal this season and if that is grabbing a wild card spot and making the playoffs or just bust and try to get a good pick. They are about 9-10 points out from a Wild Card position but have 2-3 games at hand on everyone ahead of them. 

So I'm thinking they wouldn't wanna give up a fairly young winger that can put up points and may get better without replacing the loss of those points as well as contribute to their prospect/pick pool. 

I'm thinking maybe Pearson + 2nd round pick (3rd if they make the playoffs?) or Pearson + Utica prospect (perhaps Lind, but that might be too much from Van to give up) maybe Brisebois 

Not saying we'd even love to do this deal, but it seems like it would be fair and considered by them compared to offering some type of Goldy/Baer combo. Pearson is about 3 years older than Buchnevich, but can replace his point loss and we give up a prospect/pick to cover his remaining potential he may grow to. 

45 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Looking at his stats he is a 40-50 point player 3.25 cap hit for 2 years left. 24 years old and likely only going to improve further. 

I imagine the asking price will be pretty decent for them to say yes. Also the Rangers aren't having a great season, but it isn't a blowout either. I would be curious about their goal this season and if that is grabbing a wild card spot and making the playoffs or just bust and try to get a good pick. They are about 9-10 points out from a Wild Card position but have 2-3 games at hand on everyone ahead of them. 

So I'm thinking they wouldn't wanna give up a fairly young winger that can put up points and may get better without replacing the loss of those points as well as contribute to their prospect/pick pool. 

I'm thinking maybe Pearson + 2nd round pick (3rd if they make the playoffs?) or Pearson + Utica prospect (perhaps Lind, but that might be too much from Van to give up) maybe Brisebois 

Not saying we'd even love to do this deal, but it seems like it would be fair and considered by them compared to offering some type of Goldy/Baer combo. Pearson is about 3 years older than Buchnevich, but can replace his point loss and we give up a prospect/pick to cover his remaining potential he may grow to. 

I think JB likes Pearson with Horvat and therefore would not be surprised if he seeks to unite Toffoli with Pearson.  However I have read that NYR is considering moving Buchnevich due to inconsistency in his game.  I like the upside and think he might be able to establish himself as a top winger in the future.

On 1/21/2020 at 3:16 PM, Screw said:

I think JB likes Pearson with Horvat and therefore would not be surprised if he seeks to unite Toffoli with Pearson.  However I have read that NYR is considering moving Buchnevich due to inconsistency in his game.  I like the upside and think he might be able to establish himself as a top winger in the future.

Yeah I agree with you I think everyone is pretty high on Pearson, so I wouldn't be surprised if no one wanted to move him. 

But that is why I believe for the Rangers to even trade him they'll want (and also can get) some decent value for him. Yup me as well I think he has some solid upside.

Wouldn't give Pearson. He has found his groove with Bo, and imagine how Bo would feel if we shipped out the first consistent linemate he's had.

No to Tryamkin either. We just can't walk away from the kind of guy who will make the opponent of a playoff series hate their lives.

Buchnevich has a lot of talent, no doubt. But so does Goldobin and we all know how that is going. Can we afford to have a player who decides when he wants to show up for a game? Would that hurt our chemistry? CAN Green get him going like he finally got through to Jake? Will NY let him go for a reasonable price? If Benning thinks so then go for it. We just need to ship out a bit of salary.

Really if you look at it, we MAY already have another top 6 guy coming next year in Hoglander. I am not suggesting we rely on that, but our need for another top 6 winger may not extend past this season. Just sayin'.

10 hours ago, kloubek said:

Wouldn't give Pearson. He has found his groove with Bo, and imagine how Bo would feel if we shipped out the first consistent linemate he's had.

No to Tryamkin either. We just can't walk away from the kind of guy who will make the opponent of a playoff series hate their lives.

Buchnevich has a lot of talent, no doubt. But so does Goldobin and we all know how that is going. Can we afford to have a player who decides when he wants to show up for a game? Would that hurt our chemistry? CAN Green get him going like he finally got through to Jake? Will NY let him go for a reasonable price? If Benning thinks so then go for it. We just need to ship out a bit of salary.

Really if you look at it, we MAY already have another top 6 guy coming next year in Hoglander. I am not suggesting we rely on that, but our need for another top 6 winger may not extend past this season. Just sayin'.

Everything you say is true.  The trade would have a risk component for sure.  I hear JB say he would like another top 6 winger.  If the NYR are willing to shake it up, he is a guy I would consider.  Price depending, as always.