The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comparing the Blackhawks to the Canucks

Rate this topic

RecklessReilly

5 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Different era of hockey first.

Petey is a centre Kane is a winger not comparable. 

Crawford was a much younger goalie when Chi was winning cups then Markstrom is now.

Keith and Hughes are completely different type of Defencemen. I will say I prefer Hughes type of play over Keith

So essentially there is no comparing the 2 teams you just put one name next to the other.

The only 2 you have close to comparable is Boeser to Sharp.

And you already Knew Hossa and Miller was a stretch, and I say this whole post is beyond a stretch. 

ba humbug

the era is not that much different

Petey and Kane are/were the most dymnamic players of their day- comparable

Crawford was in his prime - Markstrom is entering his prime and could easily be a top goalie forthe next 5-7 years - age is a poor reason to deny comparability

cap't serious-cap't serious 2.0

Keith and Hughes  top 5 D-man of their day- comparable

Miller came close to a cup with previous team  and Hoss came close with 2 previous teams...

I'd say theOP was closer than you give they credit for

ps who pooped in your cornflakes

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

If David Pratt keeps eating he can be Byfuglien.

All in all, it's a fairly reasonable set of counterparts for the two teams.  I say that having taken to task a comparison to the 70s Canadiens in an itemized fashion.

Lapointe- Hughes

Robinson - Edler

Savard - Benn... OK this is hard

Dryden -           nVM

Gainey -Sutter hahahahaha

Jarvis - Beagle hey is Jarvis still on our staff? Jarvis-Jarvis

Scotty Bowman's left pinkie toe - Baumer

Edited by lmm

Our blue line is a lot weaker than the 2010 Blackhawks. I chose the 2010 Blackhawks as a comparison as our core players are roughly the same age as their core players in 2010. In net, Markstrom > Niemi. But the blue line is a lot weaker. The Blackhawks had Keith, Seabrook, Campbell and Byfuglien as their top 4. Our current blue line isn’t good enough to win a cup.

On 1/21/2020 at 3:20 PM, RecklessReilly said:

God forbid I have a thought about the Canucks (in a Canuck forum) and attempt to get some dialogue going. 

But for the sake of discussion.. I wouldn't call it a different era, the Blackhawks are one of the most succesful franchises in the modern game. 

Markstrom is 2 years younger, but your right crawford won his first cup when he was in his late twenties. However he also won a cup at 30.. same age as Marky... The comparison is that of two solid, but not elite goalies.

Keith and Hughes are different sure, but they are both in the mould of puck moving elite skating LH d-men, dont see how you can argue that. To say they are completed different is like saying mandarins and oranges are completely different.

Petey and Kane are both game breaking dynamic offensive threats. Both play a high skill game, both under sized and both with elite vision, hands and shot.

Miller being Hossa is a strech sure, but based on this season alone it isnt. Both heavy on the puck, powerful players that have serious finesse, playing making and scoring touch.

You didnt mention horvat and toews, but i think its hard to say they arnt comparable. 

The whole point of a forum is to discuss something you are interested in with other people who are also interested. 

You're free to call the whole post a stretch but I personally dont think it is. Its all fun, right?

Good post. I think there are quite a bit of similarities for sure.

Only thing is that even with the season Miller is having, Hossa is at least one level above Miller. And I'd say that is a big difference between 2009-2015 Chicago team and Vancouver. Having possibly the most complete winger in the game, someone that can score 40 goals and 100points on their roster on top of Kane, Keith, Toewes... That was unfair that Chicago signed him to that cheating of a contract. Chicago should be punished via cap-recapture for cheating on Hossa's contract as they reaped 3 cups thanks to it.

I don't care for these kinds of 'equivalencies'.

I saw numerous people try to make this analogy with the Leafs - actually go further and call the Leafs the "next Blackhawks".

Needless to ask, but how has that worked out? 

I think the Canucks have better depth/more quality throughout their lineup than the Leafs have - the Leafs are a considerably top-heavy team - and further, I'd take our futures/prospect pool over theirs in a heartbeat.

But nevertheless....the 2010 Hawks...

Toews

Kane

Keith

Seabrook

Hossa

Ladd

Sharp

Versteeg

Brouwer

Byfuglien

Campbell

Madden

Hjalmarsson

Crawford

Niemi

Bolland

Bickell

Kopecky

It really underlines, imo, the point that SCC - particularly ones that are able to repeat - are not simply built on a couple lottery picks.

That is unreal depth - hard to achieve in the salary cap era.

Toews and Kane were 21 years old

Just look at that 'foundation' / supporting cast.