The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van 20-21 Roster, Poll what you think Virtanen, Gaud, Stecher and Markstrom are worth

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

RFA UFA player worth to you  

176 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

The only one of those three we can easily compare to is Stecher. You have to remember that when Tryamkin made our team, our defense was horrible. We had guys like Pouliot, Larsen, Gudbranson, and Del Zotto playing regularly. Our team defense is much better now and I no longer believe Tryamkin is good enough to make our roster due to increased competition, not regression on his part.

Good post.  I think JB continues to say publicly that he is excited to get Tryamkin back because he’s trying to keep the asset’s value higher for trade.  Tryamkin and his agent keep saying they are excited about coming back to the NHL (Vancouver too) soTryamkin’s trade value is good enough for JB to make a deal.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Sounds great to me. I would take 2 cups in a heart beat, and if it doesn't happen and you have a goalie tied up at 6mill per at 34-35 I dont think the canuck fan base would be to happy as those woul sc be Petey's, hughes, and Boesers prime years

We are winning three Cups in the 2020’s.  Marky, Petey, and Hugs will win the Conn Smyth awards.  

Leafs will miss the playoffs, and their fans will wear bags, again. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We are winning three Cups in the 2020’s.  Marky, Petey, and Hugs will win the Conn Smyth awards.  

Leafs will miss the playoffs, and their fans will wear bags, again. 

2 cups with Demko and 2 with Dipietro.

I'm calling it now that's right 4 cups won by the Canucks in the 2020s

2 vezina trophies for Demko 2 for Dipietro.

Boeser wins couple maurice Richard trophies 

Petey couple MVP trophies and couple Art Ross trophies

And Hughes with a couple Norries trophies

Horvat with couple Selke trophies

Edited by Arrow 1983

15 minutes ago, the grinder said:

its the same  its all defensive 

Calling someone's post a crock is just out right rude.

Defending your position is a part of debating, creating conversation.

In philosophy attacking a person or writing off an idea with an attack (call something a crock) is called a fallacy.

Attacking ones points in an arguement is a debate, and gives the person doing so credibility and allows others to decide which is the better argument.

All a person does by saying something is a crock is diminishing ones own credibility.

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

I'm just wondering if you've actually watched him play? Or just looking at his stats? 

Because I don't understand how he could've regressed so much.. he was a more effective player than Stecher, Benn, Fantenburg, I would argue even Myers.

Disagree completely. You're just infatuated with large men.

Edited by Gawdzukes

36 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Calling someone's post a crock is just out right rude.

Defending your position is a part of debating, creating conversation.

In philosophy attacking a person or writing off an idea with an attack (call something a crock) is called a fallacy.

Attacking ones points in an arguement is a debate, and gives the person doing so credibility and allows others to decide which is the better argument.

All a person does by saying something is a crock is diminishing ones own credibility.

defensive much  ?   look at you go    attacking people    now your diminishing what ever creditability you had ( just going with what your saying ) , isn't an argument a debate anyways  just like defensive and defending its the same  , 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

The only one of those three we can easily compare to is Stecher. You have to remember that when Tryamkin made our team, our defense was horrible. We had guys like Pouliot, Larsen, Gudbranson, and Del Zotto playing regularly. Our team defense is much better now and I no longer believe Tryamkin is good enough to make our roster due to increased competition, not regression on his part.

Ok so could you explain why you would prefer to have Fanta, Benn or Stecher in over Tryamkin? 

14 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I was just wondering what your next years roster would look like and how much would you pay Gaud, Virtanen and if you where going to keep Markstrom.

Just a few rules,

1)Build a roster for next year

2) keep it cap compliant and use the current cap ceiling for 2019-2020 (I highly recommend you use capfriendly for this)

3) Try to be realistic about Money and term.

4) State what term you would have for each player (1 year 2 year so on so forth)

4b) the term can not span more then 1 year (allowed example (1-2) (2-3) not allowed example (1-3) (4-7)

5) you can sign any UFA for next season but stay away from trades and offer sheets 

6) state your remaining cap space ( this is on the top right of the page of your roster on capfriendly)

7) for those that don't know already any buried contract, Loungo's re-capture penalty and any buyouts are already factored into Capfriendly equation. so just build your roster and state the cap space

8) Vote in the poll

Here is my roster for next year

Forwards

Miller 5.250  Petey 0.925  Boeser 5.875

Pearson 3.750 Horvat 5.500 Eriksson 6.000

Roussel 3.000 Gaud (RFA  2-3 year term @ 1.900)  Virtanen (RFA 2-3 year term @ 2.750)

Ferland 3.500 Beagle 3.000 Sutter 4.375

Defence 

Edler 6.000 Myers 6.000

Hughes 0.917 Tanev ( UFA 3 year term @ 5.000)

Benn 2.00  Rafferty 0.700

Juolevi 0.863

Goalie

Demko  1.050

Cory Crawford (UFA 2 year term @ 3.500)

Roster size 21  Ceiling (81.5 million) Cap Hit (78,213,205)  Cap space (3,286,795) 

Translation - "I needed another thread to demonstrate that any Canuck future that I can show that doesn't have Markstrom in it makes me feel good about myself."

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Ok so could you explain why you would prefer to have Fanta, Benn or Stecher in over Tryamkin? 

2018-2020

Fanta, Benn, Stecher = 36+129+127= 292 games played

Tryamkin = 0 games played

Considering it took him 40 games to round into a playable rookie I wouldn't go slotting in a guy with zero NHL experience into the line-up before he proved it. No one can know how he'd adapt upon a return visit.

I guess the question for me is what makes you think he supplants these guys except that he's humongous?

Edited by Gawdzukes

15 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I would let Markstrom and Stecher walk on July 1st,

Yes it would be nice to trade them at the deadline for assets, but I would like to keep them around for the playoff run. I believe they are worth more to the young players to have that chance at the playoffs then what ever assets Benning could Garner for them. Playoff experience for guys like Horvat, Hughes, Boeser and Petey out weigh IMO the assets that could be gained.

It is so beautiful to hear someone say what you just said. Playoff experience is worth so much more than potential assets recouped by trading such players. I also feel that a first round exit is worth a few picks lower (with the trade off of playoff experience) than tanking and getting a higher pick

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

2018-2020

Considering it took him 40 games to round into a playable rookie I wouldn't go slotting in a guy with zero NHL experience into the line-up before he proved it. No one can know how he'd adapt upon a return visit.

I guess the question for me is what makes you think he supplants these guys except that he's humongous?

I think I am a big Tryamkin fan and think. Is worth signing (at a reasonable price)... but slotting him in as a top 4 D with zero NHL games played in three years, and not even being in that spot when he left... that is banking a lot on very little resume.

Stecher on the other hand has played an average of 20 minutes a game for whole seasons and has solid underlying numbers.  Based on age, speed, cost, and injury history... I probably keep him over Tanev (but it is close).

The other OP idea that Demko is the guy to go with right now... that is just insanity.  This season Markstrom has the best adjusted/advanced goalie numbers in the entire league... not top 5, not top 3.... #1.  Any goalie with better numbers is playing behind a defence that is way tighter.  At the same time he wants to be here, and he is still relatively unknown outside our market, so his UFA numbers aren’t likely going to be Inflated. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

I haven't certainly made that decision yet. I certainly want to see what we have in Tryamkin, but counting on him to be NHL-calibre for certain is too risky imo. 

With those three players, I think there's a possibility Tryamkin can play at their level, but it really grinds my gears when people expect Tryamkin to replace Tanev, as Tanev is in a higher echelon.

5 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Sutter, Pearson, Edler and Benn contracts expire after the 20-21 season this is the year Hughes and Petey need to be re-signed

Beagle, Roussel, and Eriksson contracts expire after the the 21-22 season when Boeser needs to be re-signed

Edler, Sutter, Pearson and Benn come off the books July 1st, we don't have to sign the wonder kids until after 16 to 17 m comes off the books.  I could be wrong, but both started their 3 year ELC's last season.  

Pearson and Edler would be worth trying to keep somehow.  

Beagle and Rousell should have good trade value to a number of clubs going into their last year.  Expiring deals on solid vets that can be dealt easily.  We may have to sweeten things by retaining a small amount if cap.  

Eriksson.  Go out on a high note.  He has had some good hockey and I hope it goes right thru the playoffs.  By the end, either he is finally playing the role everyone imagined or hang up the skates.  

39 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

2018-2020

Really? Your answer to why you like Fanta, Benn and Stecher more is that they have played more games? Gubdranson has played more than all of them combined so I guess you must really miss him eh?  And we should probably be going after Hamhuis, Keith, Seabrook too they must be the best defensemen in the game right now having played over 1000!

39 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well that's pretty much the reason Myers plays more minutes than any of those guys.. 

I think he supplants them because we have enough quick puck moving d-men on the roster. As physical as you guys say Benn and Fanta are, they are nowhere close to the dominating dmen many teams have - that are especially noticeable when playoffs come around. Really if you look at their strengths, they are puck-moving dmen just like Stecher, and saying that is their best strength isn't exactly a compliment. 

Tryamkin could be a difference maker in games and the Canucks need that to make any kind of run. You are never going to get that from any of those three guys.