The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Official) 2019-2020 NHL Magic Number Thread

Rate this topic

cleowin

11 hours ago, Shaelon said:

Hi guys, the magic number game is back, and it'll be more streamlined and simplified moving forward! I will be providing text updates as the season finishes up. The last time I did a chart was back in 2014-2015 when the canucks made the playoffs.

Right now, here is the Canucks Magic #:

Clinching Numbers:

Playoffs:

Current Expected playoff points: 88 

Magic #: 28.5

Record to Achieve: 14-18-0

Division:

Expected Points: 96

Magic #: 36.5

Record to Achieve: 18-14-0

Conference:

Expected Points: 113

Magic #: 54.0

Record to Achieve: 26-5-1

88 pts to make the playoffs isn't even a historically correct when was the last time a team made the playoffs with 88 pts.

93-95 to make the playoffs

Pacific Leader 

99-101 (yes this is my Pacific Prediction, it will be a tight race to the end (From first in the Pacific 99-101pts to the last team in the pacific to make the Playoffs 93-95pts only up to a 8pt spread ) and I give you my Guarantee the Canucks win the Pacific division they need to win the least amount because of the games in hand. The Games in hand Guarantee them a spot in the playoffs and give them the greatest advantage to win the pacific. Don't believe me just look at the numbers.

Central Leader

you are probably correct here 108-114

Therefore, 

Conference would be 108-114

and League will be  108-114 (League leader will come from either the Central Metro or Alt division)

OP just change all your #s to this and then you will be closer to correct

Edited by Arrow 1983

I thought 88 was low as well, thinking it was around 95 points, but I still believe the Canucks will play hard to get there. They seem like a very determined bunch this year. My one concern these days though is the nuimber of shots and scoring chances they're allowing. Canucks have had great goaltending, but one average game could turn into a loss. They're going to need better D in the playoffs. Maybe Tryamkin joins them late in the season.

I was thinking how this off season could feel very long. The Canucks are having a good season and if they make the playoffs, the season was a success. Who knows, maybe they do well, I can see them getting past the first round and that excitement starting to build. Next year will be very exciting, possibly adding Lind, Juolevi and Hoglander.    

51 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

88 pts to make the playoffs isn't even a historically correct when was the last time a team made the playoffs with 88 pts.

93-95 to make the playoffs

Pacific Leader 

99-101 (yes this is my Pacific Prediction, it will be a tight race to the end (From first in the Pacific 99-101pts to the last team in the pacific to make the Playoffs 93-95pts only up to a 8pt spread ) and I give you my Guarantee the Canucks win the Pacific division they need to win the least amount because of the games in hand. The Games in hand Guarantee them a spot in the playoffs and give them the greatest advantage to win the pacific. Don't believe me just look at the numbers.

Central Leader

you are probably correct here 108-114

Therefore, 

Conference would be 108-114

and League will be  108-114 (League leader will come from either the Central Metro or Alt division)

OP just change all your #s to this and then you will be closer to correct

It does seem like a low number to get in yes, but with how close and weak the Pacific has been I don’t think it’ll take much more than that to get in this year. 

1 hour ago, BlastPast said:

Vegas are on pace for 90 points, that would be the current min. point total necessary .

Nashville is projected to finish 9th with 87 pts, wpg / chi / min around 85

that means 88 pts is the current cut off. At the very most, it’ll increase to 91-92 pts like last season, but if everyone keeps pace, 88 pts will be the clinch line.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

I don’t know how refined the calculations are behind this.  Does it just count what all the teams are on pace for?

Does it consider the respective records of opponents and the likely winners game by game?  Does it consider road vs home records and calculate that into remaining schedules?

Does it consider that the bulk of in division games are left to be played to there are guaranteed points there that “someone has to get” as well as those effectively being 4 point games.

I like it in terms of probability.  We currently have a 75.9% chance of making the playoffs and. 24.4% chance of winning the division.

http://moneypuck.com/predictions.htm

I take those odds any day for this point in the season, while at the same time have been a Canucks fan long enough to always have worry about things falling apart until we have it mathematically locked up.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don’t know how refined the calculations are behind this.

Does it consider that the bulk of division games are left to be played to there are guaranteed points there that “someone has to get” and 4 point games.

I like it in terms of probability.  We currently have a 75.9% chance of making the playoffs and. 24.4% chance of winning the division.

http://moneypuck.com/predictions.htm

I take those odds any day for this point in the season, while at the same time have been a Canucks fan long enough to always have worry about things falling apart until we have it mathematically locked up.

Taking a quick look at that site I'm gonna take that with a grain of salt seeing at apparently Edmonton has a higher chance of winning the division with a lower point percentage.  Also on this site: http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html Canucks have a 94.5 % chance of making the playoffs and over 50% chance of winning the division.

Edited by Rindiculous
  • Upvote 1