The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 08, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

To me I see a team that lacks what a hard nosed arrogant asshat coach brings - an attitude.  I’d like to see Babcock coaching our young core.  He’d light a fire under the support veterans.  We should be a much better team than we’re showing, and (IMO) it’s our coach. 

I was in the boat of Marc Crawford kick starting :bigblush:this team but you never know maybe Babs can choke it and gettter started:towel:

Edited by CanuckleHorse
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

The deal is no one is happy with the last 4 games and we see some scary trends. somethings that need to be addressed or even if we do make the playoffs we will be done pretty quickly.

1 We dont stand up for one another. Way too many examples pf players taking liberties that we dont react to. I am not saying we need a Lucic but everyone needs to be prepared to play for one another.

2 our power play is just too predictable. they have struggled to score and keep deploying the same unit in the same structure. if you get set up with Petey on the right side and the other teams clear it then come back next time with him setting up on the left side. Do something different each time. I dont like Petey to the left of Hughes. It takes away his one timer. But you cant keep doing the same thing over and over.

3.Marky looked bad on the first 3 goals. He was awesome after that but by then they had a lead they wouldnt surrender. if he needs rest play Demko.

4 We have a group of tired forwards. You called up two kids both 6'4 and let them sit in the press box against a team that pushed us all over the ice. In favor of Schaller, Eriksson, etc. Play the young men and give some of the guys a rest.

Exactly! 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

To me I see a team that lacks what a hard nosed arrogant asshat coach brings - an attitude.  I’d like to see Babcock coaching our young core.  He’d light a fire under the support veterans.  We should be a much better team than we’re showing, and (IMO) it’s our coach. 

How can you say that, the players play not the coaches. That the team has a bunch of older players on it that don't want to be traded, if they are too good, on it is not his fault. There are at least 7 players that are going nowhere, Eriksson (34) Roussel (31), Beagle (34), Edler (33), Sutter (30), Ferland (28) and some that aren't getting enough icetime to be peddled, maybe they just don't want to be traded. The type of players you want are just not the type of players this team has and I don't think they are willing to get hurt and jeopardize their future earning potential on a hope rather than in the actual playoffs. They are veterans, professionals and get paid for the regular season, fans are happy, management is happy, seats are sold, everyone is making money.

No it is nothing like that IMO it is the flu bug.

44 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

This is now the playoffs , and Canucks are obviously still on the learning curve. We’ll soon see what kind of character this team has and if they’ve learned anything so far. EP40 has a injury(not sure how bad it is) and Brock’s out for awhile. It’s an uphill grind til seasons end.

on the plus side if the team can get rolling with out EP40 and Brock then it’ll be an even better fuller team once those two are healthy again and more ready for a push and hopefully a run.

every game now is a playoff game so enjoy the playoff hockey.

go Canucks go

Playoff hockey only in the sense of qualifying for the post season. CUP play is far more intense than what we saw last night. Players are far more willing to put everything on the line. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I was in the boat of Marc Crawford kick starting :bigblush:this team but you never know maybe Babs can choke it and gettter started:towel:

Our young elite core guys are great, and deserve a great coach, who will insist the support players play the right way.  Right now we have Green allowing our support players to be soft.  That just can’t and shouldn’t ever happen.  Babs would insist on hard nosed play from those those guys, and bench them if they weren’t hard to play against.  

Does JB lack the self confidence in his role as GM to have a coach like Babcock?  I expect our owner would spend the money.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see a rookie captain - who is flagging in spite of the odd rush.  Is he ready to 'lead' the team?   Not sure - but realistically, they are still in the advanced stages of a transition.

A young core - that is developing.  The only guy that isn't flagging imo appears to be Hughes.

A bottom six that has been a M.A.S.H. unit all year.  In spite of the depth, they're depleted and probably need to make a move.

A solid 'foundation' of Edler, Tanev, Sutter, Beagle - but with and injured and uninspired supporting cast.

I'm not going to blame Green - as if the team is underachieving - I think that's absurd wadr. 

There are some passengers that shouldn't need to be berated to show up.  Maybe he needs to change it up and read the riot act, but the character should come from within themselves - not need a coach to prod them to show up.

Still a work in progress imo.

Looking to next year = I'd move forward without Benn, Roussel, Schaller in the mix - LE would be waiver material - hopefully he acknowledges and retires.

If they're serious about competing now - perhaps replace those guys for more presence - Greene, Simmonds, Thompson....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our young elite core guys are great, and deserve a great coach, who will insist the support players play the right way.  Right now we have Green allowing our support players to be soft.  That just can’t and shouldn’t ever happen.  Babs would insist on hard nosed play from those those guys, and bench them if they weren’t hard to play against.  

Does JB lack the self confidence in his role as GM to have a coach like Babcock?  I expect our owner would spend the money.  

Babcock did such a great job in Lafferville. Was it a bad bunch of entitled players who ran him out?

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They have been ran ragged I’m not sure a change will stop the bleeding the injuries will start to pile up now.

Edited by CanuckleHorse

2 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

You did not say any of that in your original post. In fact you cannot say all of that in your original post lol. 

And don't paraphrase my post. Unless you do it correctly. My paraphrase of my post is. We are gonna play these teams and lose we need to understand why we lost. As we will meet them in the POs. 

What is this 2nd post...? What you did in your 1st post is dismiss all our concerns. You make seem as though the number of games remaining is all that mattered. Then you make this post, basically regurgitating what everyone else posted past your original post.

My original post is, it is not time to panic (with the picture of the current standings) cause there are still enough games left to adjust/learn and at this very point, they are still at the top of very competitive Pacific.  If you truly understood/read my post then we can perhaps agree on some things.  But you obviously, have your narrative set already, in your psychic mind.

Obviously, they need to play the games to learn and get better.  Secondly, whether they make the playoffs or not, how they play these remaining games (hopefully meaningful) will matter cause it will show the true character of this team (both players and coaches).  Thirdly, if they get to the playoffs, I hope they play a tough team cause that should only help this team (especially, the young core) get better moving forward (but who really knows and I am sure, when they fail, you will be there to point it out and let us all know).  

Anything else and please read the post before answering impulsively, so that I am not repeating myself. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I see a rookie captain - who is flagging in spite of the odd rush.  Is he ready to 'lead' the team?   Not sure - but realistically, they are still in the advanced stages of a transition.

A young core - that is developing.  The only guy that isn't flagging imo appears to be Hughes.

A bottom six that has been a M.A.S.H. unit all year.  In spite of the depth, they're depleted and probably need to make a move.

A solid 'foundation' of Edler, Tanev, Sutter, Beagle - but with and injured and uninspired supporting cast.

I'm not going to blame Green - as if the team is underachieving - I think that's absurd wadr. 

There are some passengers that shouldn't need to be berated to show up.  Maybe he needs to change it up and read the riot act, but the character should come from within themselves - not need a coach to prod them to show up.

Still a work in progress imo.

Looking to next year = I'd move forward without Benn, Roussel, Schaller in the mix - LE would be waiver material - hopefully he acknowledges and retires.

If they're serious about competing now - perhaps replace those guys for more presence - Greene, Simmonds, Thompson....

Maybe Green’s hands are tied by the roster provided?  But that’s JB’s fault.  There are support players who are playing soft.  Babs would insist on those role guys playing the right way, or he’d sit them.  No way should LE, Sutter, Rooster, Schaller, Pearson, Benn, Myers be soft on (and off) pucks.  Those are the experienced support players, who have to play that way, whether it’s in their nature or not, so our young elite guys can thrive.  

Maybe Green has no other option than to play those guys, but IMO Babcock would garner more respect from the older players, and insist JB replaces them if they didn’t play the right way.  

like the young fella from the Boston Bruins pointed out in his interview..."the Canucks have a good forward group with their top lines, but their weakness is in the backend, if we pressure them and play in their end, we will do well".

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I will watch when we have a new coach, who insists on all players playing the right way.  Would Babcock play LE, Sutter, Roussel, and any other support players who are so friggin’ passive?  He’d demand JB gets some young and hard nosed guys up from the minors, and play them.  

They all have clauses in their contracts and term yet, he can't bench them all. The NHL is now a business and the player's bodies are their business. Losing as much as they do and having the adage, only one team raises the cup each year, doesn't exactly encourage older grinders to destroy their bodies once they have a lucrative contract and the chance to extend their game an extra year and make an extra million on a rebuilding team.

It is the young and contract year players that will go to the wall, one to win a game and the other to win a contract. Too many rules now about what a coach can say or do, he can bench them, and they still get paid to watch, or play them, "the pros" will do either quietly. Once this team is really a contender then they will step it up, all of them, it is just to early yet, sort of like the last time they made the playoffs and then were embarrassed off the ice.

But the coach can only come up with so many things, it is the composition of the players that makes the difference.

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

like the young fella from the Boston Bruins pointed out in his interview..."the Canucks have a good forward group with their top lines, but their weakness is in the backend, if we pressure them and play in their end, we will do well".

Having a garbage defense coach like Bumgardener tends to make that happen. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

My prediction for the next couple of weeks is that the losing streak will continue. The one good thing is that with Boeser injuried PP1 will add players from PP2  that have a shooting mentality. 

And Newell Brown will still be the coach running the powerplay, so it’ll continue to suck. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Silent Man said:

I believe this is a coach job to establish an identity of the team , is it not? If nobody knows which team will show up - that means a coach does not doing its job.

I think this current slump is mostly due to fatigue . And I think Green's decision do not rotate players after game 3 of the road trip has something to do with that situation we are in.

This is all fair and accurate.   The teams ups and downs definitely is influenced by the coaches decisions and maybe TG needs to ease up on his inner Torts and lay off a the gas a bit on his regulars and insert some depth guys.   For the most part he's done at least a decent job so far, nothing fireable.   One poster mentioned losing the room as a good reason to make a change, and I'd agree to that.   JB has been supportive and patient with both him and the team so far - but you can bet there is a limit - playoffs id bet is a higher priority to upper management/ownership then TG job security.    A ten game losing/winless streak even if he still has full support of his players won't  save him.  A lot of good experienced coaches have lost their jobs underperforming/other issues.   For us as fans sake I certainly hope TG doesn't become one of them ...

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Yes being hemmed in every game and nothing to change the system just go with what’s not working until it does.

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Babcock did such a great job in Lafferville. Was it a bad bunch of entitled players who ran him out?

All true, but he did coach them to 105 points and two seven game losses to Boston.  He insists on hard to play against hockey from his support/role players.  However, he did have Lou Lam providing those players.  Maybe it was Lou Lam getting the right support players?  Look at how the Leafs went backwards after he left, and the Islanders went forward?  

We need support players who are way harder to play against.  

• Cheers 2