The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wild @ Nucks - Feb 19 2020 - 7:30pm Pacific - SNET

Rate this topic

xereau

45 minutes ago, Pete M said:

and MacEwen is better than Simmonds and the brain trust are thinking of trading prospects for Simmonds who is 180Ibs and 31 years old...yet MacEwen is not even in the line up.

If JB makes this trade, then the fella is an idiot! Does well to get TT and JT, then ....

It's a young man's game < 30 year old players in their prime gives the team the best chance to win.

Younger, Stronger, faster, tougher!

To be fair, I think the Canucks are doing MacEwan a solid despite not being in the line up.  Putting in a rookie with the expectation as the teams 'tough guy' isnt an easy situation.  I'm no fan of acquiring Simmonds for a good asset either, but with ferland's injury I sort of get the why so to speak.  Next season, Canucks will still have to add some grit for sure even with MacEwan regularly in the line up

9 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

To be fair, I think the Canucks are doing MacEwan a solid despite not being in the line up.  Putting in a rookie with the expectation as the teams 'tough guy' isnt an easy situation.

Do you think that MacEwen is feeling that pressure? If so, do you think it's been applied to him as a way to stay up?

Do you think that there is a concern that he'll be injured (concussion wise) in a fight with a more experienced pugilist?

9 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I'm no fan of acquiring Simmonds for a good asset either, but with ferland's injury I sort of get the why so to speak.  Next season, Canucks will still have to add some grit for sure even with MacEwan regularly in the line up

They seemingly have every season, and yet once again, it seems there's a need for it again, every year.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Do you think that MacEwen is feeling that pressure? If so, do you think it's been applied to him as a way to stay up?

Do you think that there is a concern that he'll be injured (concussion wise) in a fight with a more experienced pugilist?

They seemingly have every season, and yet once again, it seems there's a need for it again, every year.

No, more of a context thing if Im even right.  I dont think that's why hes out of the line up tonight tho, more about the canucks still looking for toughness/simmonds

I think MacEwan is a courageous guy, but if Im in Green's shoes, Im worried about guys roaping him into fights and maybe Mac thinking he has to go.  All speculation on my part tho

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

I agree....180Ibs and past his prime...will will these dolts ever learn!

image.png.1e94522977fea8afa449ca2be28aca4a.png

I agree..

However a lot of people thought Pearson was done after his poor play in Pittsburgh and he has rejuvenated his career here. Sometimes the right or wrong system makes a diff.

If Simmonds comes cheap than I think he is worth it, that's a big and unlikely if though.

20 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

We're going to skate to Foligno, stand there, and skate away. 

im sure he will get some dirty looks from the bench too....the guy that holds the towels looks pretty tough.

Seriously speaking now.... Guys like Foligno could have a field day running around against a roster like ours.  In some ways it might be beneficial if he does...it will be like another big red flag they see just a few days before the trade deadline.  They need to address this big hole in the roster.

I just hope they dont throw young assets at getting Simmonds.  He is sub 190lbs, has a hard time keeping up, and probably doesnt scare any Foligno type player anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

No, more of a context thing if Im even right.  I dont think that's why hes out of the line up tonight tho, more about the canucks still looking for toughness/simmonds

I think MacEwan is a courageous guy, but if Im in Green's shoes, Im worried about guys roaping him into fights and maybe Mac thinking he has to go.  All speculation on my part tho

I was more looking for your opinion. I didn't think about the angle you presented though.

Someone was mentioning something vaguely about ELCs. Who knows. I could see how a young player like MacEwen would look to make an impression whenever and however possible.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hearing wiener dog races during intermissions tonight.  Is this Arizona or Florida trying to get fans, or Vancouver?  

I believe the dogs of the Canuck players are racing. Weiner dog races happen in Arizona to get Kessel hungry for the game.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I was more looking for your opinion. I didn't think about the angle you presented.

I love MacEwan and what he brings, but as a young player in the league Id like to see him insulated with some more toughness.  Bieksa and Dorsett were great in that regard.  Where the Canucks can get that is beyond me.  Just head Dhaliwal on the radio saying Ferland has no plan to retire, but if he eventually comes back can he play the game the Canucks were expecting from him?  

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I love MacEwan and what he brings, but as a young player in the league Id like to see him insulated with some more toughness. 

Likewise 100%. Throwing him into the deep end, expecting him to be the primary pugilist is a heavy burden for a guy entering the league. I think Green isn't the type of coach (like you said) to do such a thing.

1 minute ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Bieksa and Dorsett were great in that regard.  Where the Canucks can get that is beyond me.  Just head Dhaliwal on the radio saying Ferland has no plan to retire, but if he eventually comes back can he play the game the Canucks were expecting from him?  

I guess time will tell. Good to hear that he has no plans to retire.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1