The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Leafs LOST to a Zamboni Driver!

Rate this topic

Provost

Great story from Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts:

Greg Redquest was a former Pens goalie prospect, who never made the NHL. He actually got the call to be an emergency backup a couple of times, although unlike Ayres, he was never pressed into action. He tells this story about the time he was called to back up in Montreal:

“Denis Herron broke his wrist, so they brought me in,” Redquest said. “At our practice, my skate blade breaks. I’m (on the bench) wearing Ken Dryden’s used skates. He’s a size 12 or 13. I’m a nine-and-a-half. We’re losing 9-1. A fan yells, ‘You must really stink if they won’t put you in.’”

:lol:

• Haha 2

I love seeing this thread...pin?

I also love that Ayers has been using his five minutes of fame to promote awareness of kidney related issues.  Good on him.

He's awesome...didn't really think it was great that Colbert (love him) sprayed him like he did in a mock locker room celebration that seemed to catch him off guard.  But whatever...may he enjoy every second of this...it'll be over before he knows it so lap it up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I love seeing this thread...pin?

I also love that Ayers has been using his five minutes of fame to promote awareness of kidney related issues.  Good on him.

He's awesome...didn't really think it was great that Colbert (love him) sprayed him like he did in a mock locker room celebration that seemed to catch him off guard.  But whatever...may he enjoy every second of this...it'll be over before he knows it so lap it up.

Please pin.  Can we get a Zamboni reaction for Saturday's game?

Ayers seems like such a great guy. incredibly selfless and down to earth.    He interviews better than a lot of actual professional athletes.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, butters said:

Its like no one has ever seen a team dig and win under catastrophic circumstances before. Its actually not uncommon. 

Has a goalie ever won his first NHL game at the age of 42?

Now consider it happening against one of the most hated teams on this site.  How can you be surprised at the reaction here?

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Now consider it happening against one of the most hated teams on this site.  How can you be surprised at the reaction here?

Regardless of it being the Leafs, it would have been an inspiring story.  I wish Don Cherry hadn't been cancelled so we could have watched him melt down live though.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Regardless of it being the Leafs, it would have been an inspiring story.  I wish Don Cherry hadn't been cancelled so we could have watched him melt down live though.

Agreed on all counts.

We just get to enjoy it that much more, happening to the most overblown team in the league. I think if this happened to the Panthers or a number of other teams we pay far less attention to, the thread would have half the pages, maybe less.

25 minutes ago, Kragar said:

no, but there have been plenty of times where a team faced a tremendous disadvantage and gutted out a win. I'm pretty sure the canucks have been on the losing end of those types of games from time to time, altho details elude me. It just seems to be a pattern that teams can rally and pull a huge upset in the short term when things go terribly wrong.

1 hour ago, butters said:

no, but there have been plenty of times where a team faced a tremendous disadvantage and gutted out a win. I'm pretty sure the canucks have been on the losing end of those types of games from time to time, altho details elude me. It just seems to be a pattern that teams can rally and pull a huge upset in the short term when things go terribly wrong.

Sure... there are plenty of successful underdog stories out there.  They are more exciting than the clobberings the underdog usually suffers.

On 2/22/2020 at 6:35 PM, Brad Marchand said:

The Leafs don't have the drive to be a truly successful team. That's as editorial of a statement I've made in a while, but what I see from these guys is a complete lack of consistency from game to game.

When they scored their first two goals after Ayres came in, that's when they should have sensed there was blood in the water and ramped up their intensity, but instead they came out with an entirely milquetoast start to the third period.

If this was a one-off, it wouldn't be such a big deal. But I've seen the Leafs put out the same kinds of performances over and over again for the last year-and-a-half. They won't accomplish anything until there's a serious shift in their overall team mentality.

Honestly, that is their biggest problem. They don't play for the team, they play for themselves. Can't even muster the effort to beat a Zamboni driver. Marner showed the team what he really cares about.