The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Columbus Blue Jackets | Mar. 01, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

So I’m being blasted for thinking irregardless is a real word and Green is a bad coach, I’ve proven irregardless is a real word, still you argue and Green is digging his own grave, quit trying so hard to be wrong and accept reality

Irregardless has been proven to not be a properly accepted word. 

But you also said Green sucks at development despite mine and several other posters pointing out the flaws in that with numerous prospects who have developed under Green. Appears you are the one who is wrong, twice. 

Regardless, have a good night Nuck. 

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

We must confess that of the charges leveled against irregardless, the one asserting that it is not actually a word puzzles us most. If irregardless is not a word, then what is it, and why is it exciting so many people who care about words? Of course it is a word. You may, if you like, refer to it as a bad word, a silly word, a word you don't like, or by any one of a number of other descriptors, but to deny that a specific collection of letters used by many people for hundreds of years to mean a definite thing is a word is to deny the obvious.

Anyway, tonight was perhaps a top 10 screwed up loss of all time, fitting the PGT is following suit.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Irregardless has been proven to not be a properly accepted word. 

But you also said Green sucks at development despite mine and several other posters pointing out the flaws in that with numerous prospects who have developed under Green. Appears you are the one who is wrong, twice. 

Regardless, have a good night Nuck. 

Please show me where a a collection of letters used for hundreds of years and found in dictionaries is not a word.

3 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Please show me where a a collection of letters used for hundreds of years and found in dictionaries is not a word.

14 minutes ago, samurai said:

if you type irregardless on Word it highlights it as incorrect.  I am old school grumpy as well and had to read 'Elements of Style' which was written in 1918.   Quote form modified  version below.   

Irregardless. There is no such word! The word is regardless. True, some dictionaries list irregardless as an option. If you read closely, however, you’ll notice it is typically indicated as being slang or colloquial (These dictionaries also list the word “crap” as well). Keep in mind, most dictionaries are descriptive, not proscriptive. Just because a word is listed, does not make you exempt from being considered an ignoramus if you use it in formal scientific writing.

18 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

We must confess that of the charges leveled against irregardless, the one asserting that it is not actually a word puzzles us most. If irregardless is not a word, then what is it, and why is it exciting so many people who care about words? Of course it is a word. You may, if you like, refer to it as a bad word, a silly word, a word you don't like, or by any one of a number of other descriptors, but to deny that a specific collection of letters used by many people for hundreds of years to mean a definite thing is a word is to deny the obvious.

Saying it is not a word is somewhat incorrect. In Microsoft Word it is not recognized as a word unless you allow for it.  However, in everyday speech it is, and using it doesn't not impact our ability to understand what they person intended to mean.  However, in formal writing including print media it is not used nor accepted - in short, it is not accepted as a word.  With my pre-internet generation it was not recognized as a word either.  See 'Elements of Style' which is the bible of writing (written in 1918).   A lot of the advice in the book is basically the same pointers that George Orwell has talked about.    

Here is what it says,  

Irregardless. Should be regardless. The error results from failure to see the negative in - less and from a desire to get it in as a prefix, suggested by such words as irregular, irresponsible, and, perhaps especially, irrespective.

Edited by samurai
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Saying it is not a word is somewhat incorrect. In Microsoft Word is is not recognized as a word unless you allow for it.  However, in everyday speech it is, and using it doesn't not impact our ability to understand what they person intended to mean.  However, in formal writing including print media it is not used nor accepted - in short, it is not accepted as a word.  With my pre-internet generation it was not recognized as a word either.  See 'Elements of Style' which is the bible of writing (written in 1918).     

Here is what it says,  

Irregardless. Should be regardless. The error results from failure to see the negative in - less and from a desire to get it in as a prefix, suggested by such words as irregular, irresponsible, and, perhaps especially, irrespective.

1 minute ago, samurai said:

Saying it is not a word is somewhat incorrect. In Microsoft Word is is not recognized as a word unless you allow for it.  However, in everyday speech it is, and using it doesn't not impact our ability to understand what they person intended to mean.  However, in formal writing including print media it is not used nor accepted - in short, it is not accepted as a word.  With my pre-internet generation it was not recognized as a word either.  See 'Elements of Style' which is the bible of writing (written in 1918).   A lot of the advice in the book is basically the same pointers that George Orwell has talked about.    

Here is what it says,  

How is a word defined?
The definition of a word is a letter or group of letters that has meaning when spoken or written. An example of a word is dog. The definition of a word is a letter or group of letters that has meaning when spoken or written.

irregardless fits that definition, it’s been used for hundreds of years, sure it’s not some fancy new age turn the other cheek kinda word but it, by definition is a word.

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:
How is a word defined?
The definition of a word is a letter or group of letters that has meaning when spoken or written. An example of a word is dog. The definition of a word is a letter or group of letters that has meaning when spoken or written.

irregardless fits that definition, it’s been used for hundreds of years, sure it’s not some fancy new age turn the other cheek kinda word but it, by definition is a word.

Do you not understand what I just wrote.    It is used in colloquial speech and writing by some people, it is not though accepted in formal print media or academic writing.  

1 minute ago, samurai said:

Do you not understand what I just wrote.    It is used in colloquial speech and writing by some people, it is not though accepted in formal print media or academic writing.  

Irregardless, irregardless is a word.

We're so screwed. This road trip was a hand-out for wins. MTL/OTT/TOR/CLB all teams we should be spanking. Instead it's spotty goaltending and questionable penalties.

Can someone lock Sutter in his car before next game? WTF is Roussel doing? These grinders get term on a contract and play like crap. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1