The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Columbus Blue Jackets | Mar. 01, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

though your hibernating until Tuesday.

My wife is getting ready for our long standing tradition of sympathy sex when the Nuck lose so I have a few minutes to kill. Irregardless I’ve been a busy boy.

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

If you roll your eyes dramatically when you hear someone saying “irregardless,” you aren’t alone. We’ve all been taught to never, ever let that word slip out of our mouths—the correct term would be “regardless.” But we have some earth-shattering news for grammar nerds. Even though 74 percent of respondents in a Grammarly poll were convinced “irregardless” is not a word, it actually does show up in the dictionary.

Booooooo

12 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Wow, that’s what you’re picking on? Irregardless:

Is it correct to say irregardless?
Irregardless is a nonstandard synonym for regardless, which means “without concern as to advice, warning, or hardship,” or “heedless.” Its nonstandard status is due to the double negative construction of the prefix ir- with the suffix -less. ... The bottom line is that irregardless is indeed a word, albeit a clunky one.

5 minutes ago, samurai said:

Not clunky incorrect 

Put it to rest :lol:

Is irregardless a word?: Usage Guide

Irregardless was popularized in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its increasingly widespread spoken use called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

First Known Use of irregardless

1795, in the meaning defined above:metal:

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

You can call out Green for plenty of things, but his handling of Jake isn’t one of them. He has forged him into an NHL player who is becoming a bigger and bigger part of this team. Jake is a player he does hold accountable. Wish he treated some of the veterans the same way, but that bias isn’t uncommon in NHL coaches.

If they do fall out of the playoffs I suspect the coaching staff will be gone after this year. All the complaining in the world isn’t going to make that happen sooner. 

I still feel they can turn this around. They are a much better home team than they are on the road and it only takes a win or two to swing momentum around. 

Without Marky it looks like it won’t happen unfortunately 

jake could have progressed much quicker if he was in the top 6 nor buried in the bottom 6 

Didn't get to watch the last 3 dumpster fires but from what I watched on the highlights, we have a bigger problem that needs to be addressed, and all the better that we didn't acquire Barrie.

Our defence is trash. Not singling out players, but just feels like were missing that calm presence that Tanev once brought us. 

Needs to be fixed this summer IMO.

Cant just rely on Marky to steal games for us, we need an upgrade on the backend.

Whether we make the playoffs or not at this point, I don't care. There's positives to both scenarios. We'll see what happens, but just like previous years, there's usually a blessing in disguise. 

I mean come on, what are the odds that we lose Marky to a previously unknown injury on trade deadline? What are the freaking odds lol. Hockey gods may be looking out for us in some weird way.

Stay positive guys, our window is approaching soon, just not yet.

• Like 1

Just now, canuck2288 said:

jake could have progressed much quicker if he was in the top 6 nor buried in the bottom 6 

Or he would still be a defensive liability and put in a far less consistent effort.  You can't gift talented young players top 6 minutes and Jake is finally doing something to earn them.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Laviolette would be my choice if we're getting a vet coach anyways.

Not a bad choice, was hoping Winnipeg would throw away Maurice 

I still like Babs body of work, can always get him a sensitivity coach 

heck at this point I would take Boudreau 

• Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

If you roll your eyes dramatically when you hear someone saying “irregardless,” you aren’t alone. We’ve all been taught to never, ever let that word slip out of our mouths—the correct term would be “regardless.” But we have some earth-shattering news for grammar nerds. Even though 74 percent of respondents in a Grammarly poll were convinced “irregardless” is not a word, it actually does show up in the dictionary.

giphy (5).gif

3 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

My wife is getting ready for our long standing tradition of sympathy sex when the Nuck lose so I have a few minutes to kill. Irregardless I’ve been a busy boy.

Hey now lets not be ambitious here. Seconds. Strive to get the minute, work towards it.

1 minute ago, brownky said:

Hey now lets not be ambitious here. Seconds. Strive to get the minute, work towards it.

Nah, after our record lately minutes is not a problem, heck, I may fall asleep before it’s over.

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Like Loui earned them ? 

I'm not happy about him playing in the lineup at all.  Green's made decisions I agree with and some that I don't.  Overall, he's done a decent job but if we miss the playoffs, it's probably time for a change.  He's earned the opportunity to stay until the end of the season though.

• Cheers 1

Man, the first 50 minutes were pretty solid. Good effort from Pettersson and Miller (as usual). Domingue didn't look too out of place, no bad goals. They were well on their way to a 2-2 road trip. I was hoping for at least a 3-1 or 3-0-1 road trip - especially knowing how bad Ottawa and CBJ had been playing. Didn't have any complaints about the way they were playing tonight, and then..... total collapse.

What can you do. The roster players won't change. I actually liked the lines today for the most part 1-9. I would've liked to see Bailey in instead of Eriksson or Roussel, but at least they were playing numbers that were more reasonable tonight (12 min for Eriksson, 12 min for Roussel, only 9 for MacEwan though). Defensively, you can only switch Fantenburg and Benn so many times - both have been bad paired with Myers. But to be fair, Edler-Myers pairing was awful. Hughes-Myers pairing was awful. There's a common thread that Myers has been consistently inconsistent in his own end, and they don't have a safe partner to cover up his mistakes this year. Perhaps a Traymkin-Myers pairing in the future would work. But it's just so disappointing.

I was super pissed off yesterday after the Leafs game. Today, I don't even know how to express it. Firing the coaches now would be a very bold move, and I don't think Aqulini or Benning will do it. They will give Green the last 17 games, and if (more likely when) they miss out on the playoffs in 9th or 10th place by 4-5 points. They will say it was due to injuries (Markstrom) or youth or something else that shouldn't be a problem. These huge contracts that are tying up space are forcing Green into playing his "vets", instead of having young guys to choose. It's no coincidence that Eriksson hasn't been waived over the last couple years - the owner is paying too much, and Benning feels bad about it. That shouldn't be a factor! Ladd was waived. Lucic has been traded. Those guys signing those big contracts and not playing well need to be held accountable!

• Upvote 1