The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Chicago Blackhawks WCQF Game 7 April 26, 2011 - Throwback Edition March 14, 2020 7PM PDT

Rate this topic

King Heffy

As painful as it can be, I wish fans would take a harder look at those 08-13 years. It's easy to remember how dominant we were at our peak and how exciting our rise was, but to watch footage offers a deeper perspective. 

Some folks came around years ago, some have come around more recently. But seeing footage of vintage Kes and what he brought to this club on the ice. Man, he was my favourite player back in the day. It doesn't feel like so long ago that people we campaigning for him to be captain. But time flies. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Huggy Bear 1

Watching the game again it's crazy to see the chances the Sedins generated and sustained pressure. In today's NHL I wonder how many they would have scored...problem is they never had a true finisher, now we've got a team full of goal scorers with no playmakers ironically.

That 3rd line of Lapierre, Hansen and Higgins was dynamite as well. Lots of GMs try and bring back players who have chemistry together in former teams, just like JB bringing in Toffoli and Pearson, and Laps and Higgins were the duo of that era.

Don't think we'll see a team that strong for a long time if ever. Best two forwards in the league at the time, best 2nd line centre, best 3rd checking line, best PP and PK, best top 4 defence in the league and arguably the best goalie in the league. I think the main missing link was some 2nd line wingers to play with Kesler and bottom pairing defence (Alberts was brutal), which is where Boston beat us - depth.

Again ironically I think the current day Canucks have better depth, a much better 6th and 7th defenceman and 4th line, than that 2011 and 2012 team.

• Thanks 1

I think my love for kesler is back. Its easy to hate him after how everything ended, but seeing that game I'm reminded of what he meant for us, and what he gave for us. 

Also, we need more "playoff" type players. Our top six is looking good, our bottom six needs more of what Mackewen has shown, and hopefully continue... whenever that may be. 

• Thanks 1

K guys I know this sounds crazy but we actually win this game and go onto the cup finals! I'm in the year 2020 and it sucks! Some flu virus is going around the world and all sports are suspended. Donald Trump is actually the president of the US....I know it sounds crazy but it's true. Anyways life sucks at the moment but go Canucks go! PS. Don't hesitate to fire Gillis!