The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

25 mills shut down

RowdyCanuck

32 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You mean, pay your taxes.

The answer is yes.  It's just postponed past the end of April

14 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Nope.  2020 Alberta is a have not province and the rest of us are propping up Alberta sorry a........ss..........es......

Albertans are our next Newfies.....

You guys need to get your stories straight.

• Cheers 1

The OP's video mentions two of the reasons why:  Soft prices for lumber and cost.  Built into the costs was an increase in stumpage rates, which isn't something that the government can really relax or the US will claim we are subsidizing the industry.

The one reason they don't mention was the inevitable drop in the allowable cut due to the mountain pine beetle.  Years of kicking that can down the road and now that bill is due.  Mills in the interior saw significant drops in their areas.    

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Is 25 an hour big bucks...?  I think in Seattle starbucks a barista makes that.....

It's 25 and what an 12 shift.....my books for most people starting wage that's decent money for no school and you only go up.....

oil field services ( building/ maintaining pump jacks) start at 18.....

3 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

The OP's video mentions two of the reasons why:  Soft prices for lumber and cost.  Built into the costs was an increase in stumpage rates, which isn't something that the government can really relax or the US will claim we are subsidizing the industry.

The one reason they don't mention was the inevitable drop in the allowable cut due to the mountain pine beetle.  Years of kicking that can down the road and now that bill is due.  Mills in the interior saw significant drops in their areas.    

Isn't that why the logging companies are suppose to replant....:bigblush:

but I think the b.s part is their still pulling logs out by the mills their closing down but shipping to other mills.....

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Nope.  2020 Alberta is a have not province and the rest of us are propping up Alberta sorry a........ss..........es......

Albertans are our next Newfies.....

Woah woah ha newfies? Okay those are fighting words ha 

whats b.c going to prop up with? Tech companies? Lmfao oh you mean your big logging industry......well that's not going to work....

how about tourism?.....oh wait everyone is broke and can't afford to travel ha 

yea b.c will be a province propping something alright ha

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Is 25 an hour big bucks...?  I think in Seattle starbucks a barista makes that.....

I was making $12hr when I worked in the Mill.  Worse job ever working the green chain with a bunch of drug addicts.  Worse job at the worse possibly time in my life, 2004 sucked.  

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Isn't that why the logging companies are suppose to replant....:bigblush:

but I think the b.s part is their still pulling logs out by the mills their closing down but shipping to other mills.....

Those trees take longer than 20 years to be large enough to harvest.  The beetle obliterated a large chunk of what could be cut.  In order for there to be trees to cut in the future, the amount of trees cut annually had to be reduced.

I also agree about the trees being shipped elsewhere.  However, it's all linked to the argument for raw log exports.  The argument for is that there isn't enough trees in the area that they are cut to mill in said area, so they need to be exported.  This allows some people in the area to still be employed cutting trees.  If you forced those trees to be milled in said area, it wouldn't be economically viable.  So then, the companies wouldn't even bother cutting the trees in said area.  Then even more people would be unemployed.  

20 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You guys need to get your stories straight.

You need to sit down and read a book on how equalization works instead of parrotting the same tired, ignorant, useless excuse and statement day after day after day

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I was making $12hr when I worked in the Mill.  Worse job ever working the green chain with a bunch of drug addicts.  Worse job at the worse possibly time in my life, 2004 sucked.  

Agreed. I worked on cleanup crew in a vaneer plant cleaning ovens, chemical spills etc... wearing a hazmat suit in 150* ovens in the dead of summer was def not worth the 18 per hour (mid nineties)

27 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You need to sit down and read a book on how equalization works instead of parrotting the same tired, ignorant, useless excuse and statement day after day after day

Actually considering I explained it to you and you're now saying the exact same thing Jim is maybe you should read a book, maybe get yourself a book on the trans Canada because you also made yourself look silly with what you said about that.

34 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

That was like the tail end of green chains. All automated now.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I did that in '02 out of high school for $10/hr, silver lining was that my rent was $150 a month. The most I earned in a month was $1300 so it wasn't that bad!! 

In case you're wondering , I'm doing much better now haha. Still in the timber manufacturing sector though. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Western Red said:

I did that in '02 out of high school for $10/hr, silver lining was that my rent was $150 a month. The most I earned in a month was $1300 so it wasn't that bad!! 

In case you're wondering , I'm doing much better now haha. Still in the timber manufacturing sector though. 

Your name checks out lol.  I got hired with 3 other people, two quit by 10am that day.  I got yelled at not even a minute on the job no joke.  Guy got a chunk of his arm ripped off on a Friday the 13th, he was cleaning up because a safety inspector was coming in.  I could go on lol...

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I've never understood why we don't incentivize our own industry more in BC. There should be things in place like faster approvals for building permits and far more use of things like 4 and now 6 storey wood frame buildings in BC. Our industry needs it, our renters need it, our kids need it for affordable homes. 

We import so much of everything. Canada could be a giant if it wanted to. 
Never understood that. 
Same goes with banking. We should be self reliant, not interest slaves. 

• Upvote 1

I worked for Tolko and Ainsworth back in the day as a tradesman, tradesperson for the offended types. 

Still miss the smell of the log yards, but glad not to be stuck doing shift work. 

I feel for all the people out there losing their livelihoods in a resource-rich province like this. The stress on families tends to break them. Generations will be effected. It’s tough to witness... can’t imagine living it. 

With all of this new debt, I wonder how the future generations will fare. Disturbing, all of it. Best of luck to everyone. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Your name checks out lol.  I got hired with 3 other people, two quit by 10am that day.  I got yelled at not even a minute on the job no joke.  Guy got a chunk of his arm ripped off on a Friday the 13th, he was cleaning up because a safety inspector was coming in.  I could go on lol...

My fav memories was when the hearing testing van showed up each year to test us workers......   The old timers there after 40 years on the planer, greenchain etc...  well they hearing was pretty much totally gone.  One old guy used to do a burn out every day in the parking lot when he left.... he could not hear his car engine reving way too high and well ... he lit up his tires pretty much every day leavin....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

That was like the tail end of green chains. All automated now.

I worked on green chain way earlier than that.  We did 20 ft max and it was a trim saw. Resaw mill with a  couple of gas kilns it for custom drying as well.

Piling off the green chain or working the stacker..... would give you lots of time to think about your life......

I used to work 8-9 hours days there .. .relentless hard work...  then head out that evening for a 2 hour very intense  training session at my local rugby club..   

Those are very good memories for me. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I worked on green chain way earlier than that.  We did 20 ft max and it was a trim saw. Resaw mill with a  couple of gas kilns it for custom drying as well.

Piling off the green chain or working the stacker..... would give you lots of time to think about your life......

I think mills have upgraded a bit and made life a little easier since you did it haha.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Russ said:

I think mills have upgraded a bit and made life a little easier since you did it haha.

I hope so..  We had a board coming off the chain every few seconds...  We had to spin it, tilt it... then push it off to the correct pile. 

We would have various lenghts piled all around the end of the table. Maybe we had like a dozen different piles that were sorted by grade and length.

Once high enough , we crimped and banded the pile and called over for a forklift to clear it out . We then started a new one.

8-9. hours of this a day.   Like i said ... it was relentless.    20 foot boards were a bit of a beast.  

Worse was when we were running heavier hemlock lumber.  Stuff was much heavier than cedar...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1