The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Draft to remain in June (Proposed)

Rate this topic

aGENT

1 hour ago, mll said:

There has already been significant GM pushback but the league still put the memo together.  There's a Board of Governors call this Monday.  

Yea clearly they think they have a convincing case.

At the end of the day it might be the best business decision even if scouts and GMs hate it. 

Im sure the motivation is simply to buy them more time to resume the season while not affecting next season. Trying to squeeze the draft between the two with free agency while still figuring out where the cap will be might be too much.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it could actually work out well for us a couple of different ways. Say we end up at 15, and move up a spot or two to 14 or 13. New Jersey might be very interested in that pick and maybe we can shed some salary cap if we offer it to them for this years draft. Might be a lifeline for keeping Toffoili or even bringing in some new defence talent. If we could shed Loui that would be a home run imo. 

Didn’t consider that angle, that would actually be a very crafty move by Benning.

If we did in fact get to keep our pick based on an early draft I could definitely see New Jersey wanting this years. Having three picks in a deep draft when they’re in a rebuild would be very beneficial to them.

Taking on someone like Sutter also wouldn’t be a big deal since they need to reach the cap and he’s at least a serviceable vet with some leadership qualities. 

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Didn’t consider that angle, that would actually be a very crafty move by Benning.

If we did in fact get to keep our pick based on an early draft I could definitely see New Jersey wanting this years. Having three picks in a deep draft when they’re in a rebuild would be very beneficial to them.

Taking on someone like Sutter also wouldn’t be a big deal since they need to reach the cap and he’s at least a serviceable vet with some leadership qualities. 

NJ might be pretty motived to get a pick in the teens now, vs maybe one in the 20s later, and with expansion coming they are going to lose someone. Just a thought. 

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

NJ might be pretty motived to get a pick in the teens now, vs maybe one in the 20s later, and with expansion coming they are going to lose someone. Just a thought. 

LeBrun has the Canucks in the virtual playoffs and picking 18th - i.e. the pick would go to NJD this year.  They can still reach a different agreement should they wish to.

1 minute ago, mll said:

LeBrun has the Canucks in the virtual playoffs and picking 18th - i.e. the pick would go to NJD this year.  They can still reach a different agreement should they wish to.

I thought it was our choice, not automatic? 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I thought it was our choice, not automatic? 

No.  The conditions of the trade were Vancouver keeps the pick if they miss the playoffs (in which case the pick slides to next year with no protection).  If they make the playoffs the surrender this years pick.  It was never up to Vancouver 

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

No.  The conditions of the trade were Vancouver keeps the pick if they miss the playoffs (in which case the pick slides to next year with no protection).  If they make the playoffs the surrender this years pick.  It was never up to Vancouver 

oh, I thought I heard on the radio somewhere that it was Benning's choice. 

Well in that case, giving up 18th this year is fine. 

Since you need a final standings/draft order, you basically have to just decide who's in the playoffs, then axe the season.

How would it be fair to have a play in then have a team that misses the playoffs picking around 20 or higher? Unless they were to adjust next year's draft order to compensate.

I am warming up to the idea overall.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

On 5/4/2020 at 5:31 AM, DeNiro said:

Yea clearly they think they have a convincing case.

At the end of the day it might be the best business decision even if scouts and GMs hate it. 

Im sure the motivation is simply to buy them more time to resume the season while not affecting next season. Trying to squeeze the draft between the two with free agency while still figuring out where the cap will be might be too much.

It's also to be in the news cycle  - the NFL draft got a real boost in viewership this year with no other sport event to watch.  The NHL is hoping for the same.  Networks are on board too -probably even encouraging it.

Pronman made the interesting point that some teams have scouts' on expiring contracts.  Contracts typically match the NHL year and run until 30 June.  With a later draft, teams could be at risk of losing people with significant information on this year's draft.  For example the Canucks don't have an extension in place for Judd Brackett and he could become a free agent in July.  

On 4/22/2020 at 8:16 PM, Rick Blight said:

As a player, why would I do this? I would be looking to get a new contract with term right on July 1st with a new team.....wouldn't you?

Well except that the whole free agency process will likely be pushed to a later date as well in this scenario ie they wouldn't extend the length of the contracts without pushing back the start of free agency.

Any body heard what’s happening with Free Agency on July 1st?

Is the League looking for players to waive that until the end of the Cup Final?

..this seems like it would be a bigger topic than the date of the Draft if we are playing hockey in July.

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Any body heard what’s happening with Free Agency on July 1st?

Is the League looking for players to waive that until the end of the Cup Final?

..this seems like it would be a bigger topic than the date of the Draft if we are playing hockey in July.

If the season continues in any way then free agency will have to be delayed.  You can’t have players that will be UFA being signed by other teams while they’re still playing 

On 5/3/2020 at 9:36 AM, DeNiro said:

The proposal was based on ordering by points percentage.

Meaning the Canucks would be out of a playoff spot when you include Eastern teams.

DeNiro, you have been on this board for 12 years, you are a hall of famer and yet suddenly you are talking like you have no concept of the rules of engagement.

You were coming from left field on the 25.69 GAA, how did you not know that?

Now you are making up rules that have never applied.

When has the East-West ever had a cross-over for playoff position? 

Never. This is not the CFL.

On what basis did you decide the NHL would use the top 16 regardless of conference? 

25 minutes ago, lmm said:

DeNiro, you have been on this board for 12 years, you are a hall of famer and yet suddenly you are talking like you have no concept of the rules of engagement.

You were coming from left field on the 25.69 GAA, how did you not know that?

Now you are making up rules that have never applied.

When has the East-West ever had a cross-over for playoff position? 

Never. This is not the CFL.

On what basis did you decide the NHL would use the top 16 regardless of conference? 

Back in the late '70's early '80's it was the top 16 teams in the league that made the playoffs regardless of divisional or conference standing with the first round being a best of 5 series. In 1981 the first round featured the Vancouver Canucks against the Buffalo Sabers, the Sabers won the series 3 games to 0 but what I remember most from that series was Tiger Williams accidentally on purpose wacking Scotty Bowman over the head with his hockey stick

Edited by mikkim

13 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

Well except that the whole free agency process will likely be pushed to a later date as well in this scenario ie they wouldn't extend the length of the contracts without pushing back the start of free agency.

Extending contracts would be very difficult, if not impossible.

Everybody is either a lawyer or represented by one or more.

Contracts are binding. They end on June 30 at midnight

The NHL/NHLPA could negotiate an extension, but there is a greater possibility that there is a strike/lockout before that happens. 

there is very litttle in it for the players, and the NHLPA is there to ensure the players do not get taken advantage of.

At this point, players are being asked to extend contracts that they likely want a raise on, forgo their summer, go back to work in camps that do not allow them to see their family of up to 8+ weeks. Players are already balking at that one.  For what gain? ECLs get a raise, RFAs get a raise if they stay on the same team, UFAs mostly get a raise

I am thinking if I am negotiating a new contract i'd rather negotiate based on the season that has been rather than on whatever might happen playing neutral site games in the summer.  And what if your contract is up next summer and you have a bad season because you get injured in July 2020? There is a whole lot of reasons for players to not play along with any of this, and contracts and agents and NHLPA  on their side  to defend their rights.

32 minutes ago, mikkim said:

Back in the late '70's early '80's it was the top 16 teams in the league that made the playoffs regardless of divisional or conference standing with the first round being a best of 5 series. In 1981 the first round featured the Vancouver Canucks against the Buffalo Sabers, the Sabers won the series 3 games to 0 but what I remember most from that series was Tiger Williams accidentally on purpose wacking Scotty Bowman over the head with his hockey stick

Is that how it worked?

I missed a couple of years chasing girls about that time.

I remember the mid 70s when they ranked the the series 1-16, 2-15 etc in the early years of 4 divisions. I recall the sNorris division often had teams in the playoffs with worse records than some Adams/ Patrick divisions teams that missed the playoffs. 

I don't recall the top 16 making the playoffs, but like I said, I was not paying attention for a few years

well will you look at that

https://www.google.com/search?q=nhl+standings+1981&rlz=1C1NNVC_enCA476CA478&oq=nhl+standings+1981&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.6743j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=lg;/m/078bcv;7;/m/05gwr;st;fp;1;;

back in 1981 when the Coyotes, the Devils, the Hurricanes and the Quebec exsisted in the NHL

I guess that was pushback after all those terrible Norris teams made the playoffs

I stand corrected

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, lmm said:

well will you look at that

https://www.google.com/search?q=nhl+standings+1981&rlz=1C1NNVC_enCA476CA478&oq=nhl+standings+1981&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.6743j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=lg;/m/078bcv;7;/m/05gwr;st;fp;1;;

back in 1981 when the Coyotes, the Devils, the Hurricanes and the Quebec exsisted in the NHL

I guess that was pushback after all those terrible Norris teams made the playoffs

I stand corrected

That's pretty funny that they list them as the Coyotes, the Devils, and the Hurricanes