The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 16, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Missed Myers last night. Shame it took him going down for some folks to realize his value. 

Stecher gave it his all, he may have been in over his head playing heavier minutes but he gave it his all. As our smallest D lining up against a larger Blues team that comes at you in waves, that's all one can ask. 

I agree stetcher is a heart and soul guy who gives it all, however he’s a bottom pair D.  I don’t blame him at all but I do think he will be gone in the off season as we look to slowly upgrade where we can and get cheaper where we keep it static and he might not make the cut. Which is a shame as I like the guy 

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

We played very passively yesterday.

Our d on many occasions backed in much further than normal where blues skaters had so much room in the slot to shoot.

I think we will tighten that up today and I have confidence we will see a much more hungry team tonight

Horvats our clutch weapon...well really we have all sorts of weapons...this team reminds me a lot of the PIT ones that won back-back cups - counter attack counter attack counter attack.   It worked for them and often they weren’t the better stats team all the way to two cups.   Really I have zero complaints for this team and am super proud of them.  Benn came in after months and played a solid game...We have more skill then we are given credit for AND we are getting a lot of credit at the moment.   How are these kids managing this during their first taste of battle - and really we couldn’t have drawn two better teams as far as battle goes (not many at least) is awe inspiring.    Sedins managed two series and not until their late 20’s before their regular season games started to translate and never stepped it up (produced more in the post season).  

Our kid stars are already doing that and QHs is actually showing he’s a better playoff performer after one game.   EP is close too.   Pearson is doing his best Geoff Courtnall impression and Miller like always is gold.   Horvat is quickly becoming the new Linden (who with Bure are the ONLY players in club history that could do what our kids are doing right off the hop too).  

Our D isn’t nearly as good on paper as it’s playing either.  Markstrom so far is also doing his best Kirk McLean impression (another former player that had an extra gear come playoff time).   Never count him out.  No way do we go with Demko unless he needs a day off, even after a bad game which so far he’s only had one just ok game - not terrible though.   

Our fourth line is arguably our third line.   Really it is.   McEwen had some good looks and is another rookie that is impressing.   

The coaching has been superb so far too.   One loss to start it - two line changes then five in a row including two to start the series that were technically road games.   TG is also finally getting his due and has been noticed - media is digging into his past and finding all sorts of tidbits for those that are interested.

Personally feel this has been one of the best starts to a playoffs - technically we are in round two right now up 2-1 against the cup champs.   The road to the cup really couldn’t be harder either.  Beat them and probably Vegas next.   After them probably COL.   IF we beat those two teams and I was a fan of whatever Eastern team we went up against I’d be a littler terrified.   Even if it’s TB. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, UKNuck96 said:

I agree stetcher is a heart and soul guy who gives it all, however he’s a bottom pair D.  I don’t blame him at all but I do think he will be gone in the off season as we look to slowly upgrade where we can and get cheaper where we keep it static and he might not make the cut. Which is a shame as I like the guy 

I figure he'll be gone too. He'll probably be a cap casualty as management tries to make the squeeze work. 

I expect to see one or two of Juolevi/Rafferty/Rathbone cracking the squad. I originally figured Fanta would be gone, but given his play we might just retain him if he doesn't cost much. 

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Me_ said:

Seriously. For this series:

MILLER - PETTERSSON - VIRTANEN

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing this. A bit more physicality on that line and maybe give JV some confidence. Boeser can slot in with Bo and Pearson. Loui drops to the third....

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

Anyone else glad we have a back to back game - i always felt after a loss in the playoffs the losing team wants to get back on the ice and I think the Canucks are no different. Tough loss but we knew they wouldn't sweep the Blues. The fact that this young team is not only hanging with the Stanley Cup champions but also are up 2-1 in the series is huge!!! Shows how big winning game 2 was. Time to go on another run and take out the Blues in 5 :D

I think the most frustrating thing is you can build a team with skill but as the playoffs progress big heavy teams seem to get the benefit of "whistles' being put away. The Virtanen penalty was a penalty - in the 1st or 2nd period but any games I have watched before this season you need to take away a quality scoring chance for it to be a penalty. There was no risk of a quality scoring chance on the Virtanen play and similar plays with sticks that led to trips weren't called. 

St Louis came to play and barely beat us - I still think they have not seen a complete game from us and here's hoping they get to see it tonight!

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing this. A bit more physicality on that line and maybe give JV some confidence. Boeser can slot in with Bo and Pearson. Loui drops to the third....

If JV can carry with pace or let Petey take it in and make a beeline for the net he will be a nuisance for the blues.

if he gets going he has a wicked shot and I think having him crash the net at pace with the puck whipped in should spark that line and give him confidence.

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I figure he'll be gone too. He'll probably be a cap casualty as management tries to make the squeeze work. 

I expect to see one or two of Juolevi/Rafferty/Rathbone cracking the squad. I originally figured Fanta would be gone, but given his play we might just retain him if he doesn't cost much. 

Yeah Fanta is he is cheap I think stays, depends though they might take the option to bring up all three and make the space. Means there might be the option to sign Tryamkin before the cutoff (whenever that would be) and then slot him in after the KHl season. 

8 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Stecher absolutely needed to slide over to the middle when he saw Hughes jump on 

That's not how it works. A forward is supposed to cover. If Stecher slides over, then two defenders are out of position....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

People who keep giving him a free pass for a year of poor play while ripping on other players are far worse, imo.

People that complain about the people that complain about the people is another level of worse.  And then there's me that complain about the people that complain about the people that complain about the people.  Someone coined it in the game 2 PGT. Inception of whining lol

• Haha 4

I believe Stecher was involved in all 3 STL goals. Great guy, big heart, probably tries harder than anyone, but the Canucks need an upgrade here. I appreciate him wrestling, or whatever that was, against Perron. Great that he stepped up, but D wins championships, and Stech doesn't defend well enough.

Watching Virtanen, I wondered how in the he** did he score 18 goals last year? He just isn't that good, he's not that smart, he reacts too slowly, he makes bad decisions, he doesn't use his size enough, he lacks confidence, etc. Enough. Get Gaudette in there, I wanna see some cellies. 

And what's wrong with Boeser? Started the playoffs against MIN like he was on fire, fast, gritty etc. He doesn't look the same.

Tonight is a must-win. 

7 hours ago, Whalespray said:

Had to know the defending champs weren't just gonna lie down and get steamrolled. We're in a dog fight now. This is exactly what the kids need. How they respond tomorrow will be very telling. I think we gotta get Gaudette back in. Virtanen wasn't terrible but he hasn't been good enough he should be %@#$'n dominating with the weakest defensive matchups as the Blues hands are full shutting down our top 2 lines. 

The loss of Myers was very evident tonight. Myers haters take notice.

Miller Pete Boeser

Pearson Bo Loui

Motte Sutter Gaudette 

Roussel Beag MacE

Hughes Tanev

Edler Stetcher

Benn Rafferty

As long as we keep them defending we're winning we simply can't shut them down so we must stay on the attack. 

Really? You'd sit Fantenberg? :huh:

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

People that complain about the people that complain about the people is another level of worse.  And then there's me that complain about the people that complain about the people that complain about the people.  Someone coined it in the game 2 PGT. Inception of whining lol

Whingeception 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I believe Stecher was involved in all 3 STL goals. Great guy, big heart, probably tries harder than anyone, but the Canucks need an upgrade here. I appreciate him wrestling, or whatever that was, against Perron. Great that he stepped up, but D wins championships, and Stech doesn't defend well enough.

Watching Virtanen, I wondered how in the he** did he score 18 goals last year? He just isn't that good, he's not that smart, he reacts too slowly, he makes bad decisions, he doesn't use his size enough, he lacks confidence, etc. Enough. Get Gaudette in there, I wanna see some cellies. 

And what's wrong with Boeser? Started the playoffs against MIN like he was on fire, fast, gritty etc. He doesn't look the same.

Tonight is a must-win. 

his mind is still at celebrities. Probably wants to hang out with his friends at clubs lake rather than  play hockey.

19 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's not how it works. A forward is supposed to cover. If Stecher slides over, then two defenders are out of position....

Just watched the full replay on repeat.  You are right. Some major issues on that last shift. 

Hughes a LD does a full circle behind the Blues net and loses the puck battle in the right corner. 

While puck is in the right corner, Boeser pinches down to the half boards for support and Stecher takes Right Point as the play (if the puck is recovered usually results in a pass back to the blue line along the boards).  However, Miller goes to the bench and whoeever  replaces him is too eager and jumps up in the play without realizing Hughes is deep in the wrong corner and completely misses Schenn cherry picking at the red line.

Stecher looks bad because I think he realized no one is covering Schenn and leaves his role at the Right Point to pick him up but its too late.

WHoeveer missed their assignment is so far off that they arent even on the screen. Mistake was made by whoeveer jumped on for Miller.

Also props to OReilly. I think Quinn would normally come out with the puck but O Reilly uses his long reach to make a tape to tape pass in one motion as he takes it clean off Hughes stick and connects the pass with Schenn.

The stars had to align for that goal to happen because

1) Schenn shoudlnt be cherry picking when the puck is in his zone and 90% of the time, Hughes would have come up with it and Canucks would have an odd man advantage in the O Zone

2) O Rielly makes an increditble pass. Not sure if it was a fluke as he literally just swiped it from Hughes and it was a perfect pass to Schenn who is actually out of position

3) Normal play would be a scrum moving from corner boards up to half wall where Boeser is there for support and we would have numbers

4) Our LW was grossly out of position

All these things had to happen for that goal to occur

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Just watched the full replay on repeat.  You are right. Some major issues on that last shift. 

Hughes a LD does a full circle behind the Blues net and loses the puck battle in the right corner. 

While puck is in the right corner, Boeser pinches down to the half boards for support and Stecher takes Right Point as the play (if the puck is recovered usually results in a pass back to the blue line along the boards).  However, Miller goes to the bench and whoeever  replaces him is too eager and jumps up in the play without realizing Hughes is deep in the wrong corner and completely misses Schenn cherry picking at the red line.

Stecher looks bad because I think he realized no one is covering Schenn and leaves his role at the Right Point to pick him up but its too late.

WHoeveer missed their assignment is so far off that they arent even on the screen. Mistake was made by whoeveer jumped on for Miller.

Based on the shift time Figures on the NHL page I believe it was Bo

Bo

Pearson

Stecher

Hughes

Boeser

were the ones on the ice. Stetcher, Bo and Pearson all have the same shift start time 

Edited by UKNuck96

This was the game we NEEDED Guadette in the lineup.. 

Eriksson laying eggs and almost cost us the game..

Edler and Boeser with weak as &^@# giveaways all game long.. 

Refs and Buttman, clear who the NHL wants to win this series..

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3

Just now, UKNuck96 said:

Based on the shift time Figures on the NHL page I believe it was Bo

Ouch

I believe this has to do with Miller and petey switching roles after faceoff. 

After he takes faceoffs they switch and Miller is technically LW and Petey is centre. 

Bo jumps in playing like a C not an LW and forgets that he moves over to C ONCE petey gets off the ice and is replaced by a winger.

I see that both Pearson and Horvat are on that last shift? It might be Tanner?

Regardless

dont need to point out who screwed up.  Lose as a team. Learn from it and bring it tonight!

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Ouch

I believe this has to do with Miller and petey switching roles after faceoff. 

After he takes faceoffs they switch and Miller is technically LW and Petey is centre. 

Bo jumps in playing like a C not an LW and forgets that he moves over to C ONCE petey gets off the ice and is replaced by a winger.

I see that both Pearson and Horvat are on that last shift? It might be Tanner?

Regardless

dont need to point out who screwed up.  Lose as a team. Learn from it and bring it tonight!

Agreed finger pointing isn’t needed, was unfortunate, but they have to dust themselves off and get going for today 

• Cheers 1

That was an exciting game. A few guys didn’t look good last night though... Boeser looked injured, Stetcher looked good in previous games but tonight with extra minutes looked over matched at times... Virtanen looked a bit better but the guy needs to get in on the forecheck more and lay the body.