The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 17, 2020 | Series tied 2-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

What scares me the most right now is what Jim Benning is thinking about right now.

Hopefully he isn't thinking "Boy, the Blues play such a heavy game, we need more heavier players" and proceeds to sign a bunch of Tim Schallers.  I like playing heavy but we need players who can actually score and have hockey IQ to make plays.  

Or maybe despite the team getting a collective black eye, he is enjoying watching EP and Hughes being able to cooe with the Blues. 
This was the first game, the team got taken apart. It happens... will be interesting to see if they can bouce back. I think they can.
But unless they can stop ROR and that line it will be hard.
There is no doubt that the hitting from Blues in the first couple of games has taken its toll...
He is probably looking forward To Podz coming over and Lind in a year or two. 
But it is obvious that we need a few stronger and heavier players inserted in the line up. 

The pounding has taken its toll...

Also, the need of veteran leadership has been evident throughout this series and the previous one. 

Hoping that Woo can evolve enough to go in back end. Thinking about the depth on the D. 

Myers is a huge loss... far greater than first anticipated.

Think he will be looking at how he can make us stronger on the back end. 

Edited by spook007
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

That’s what causes the situation we are in 

just move on to next game instead of trying to see what went wrong and what needs to be changed 

Nah...

Think what causes this situation, is we have a young team, where most of the players are trying the hard grind of play off hockey for the first time. 
Learning a lot about themselves and each other players and coach alike. 
They are playing the, until defeated, best play off team in the NHL, without one of their best/strongest d-men. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

6 hours ago, SunnyHours said:
  1. D without Myers is too soft. He took some penalties but at least was being aggressive. 
  2. Blues forecheck too much, Canucks seem to be playing scared and throwing the puck away instead of taking a split second to make the right play. 
  3. 0/7 on PP won’t get it done. 
  4. Reffing was, like usual, quite inconsistent. 
  5. A top-6 #%! disturber might not be a bad pickup. 

The team has to get used to violent teams and terrible officiating. This series is teaching them what it is to be Canucks.

This was the first game where doubt started to creep in as to whether has the determination it takes to go deep in the playoffs.

Boeser has 4 assists (all of which were in the first two games) but he needs to start putting pucks in the net himself.

Horvat needs to get back to the being machine he was in the first two games.

With Boeser covering for Toffoli on Petey's RW, TG really needs to find another combination that works with Pearson and Horvat.

The team, as a whole, needs to get back to grinding and punishing the Blues. In the first two games the Canucks were hitting everyone who went near the puck. They were pushing the pace. In the last two games, they've gotten away from that game. I saw many opportunities to lay the body passed on. Too many fly by's and way too much chasing the play.

The hole left by Myers is looming large at this point but our defense must find a way to compensate. Someone else has to step up. 

Who's it going to be?

TG needs to find answers to these issues or we'll be discussing next season sooner then we want.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, teepain said:

Our defense is getting exposed, i think the blues coaching staff are going towards stetchers side every chance they get. We are missing Myers badly now

I like Stech, he seems like a good guy but I haven't been a fan of him since last season. I really hope Myers comes back.

Best thing about these playoffs no matter what happens is Benning getting a better idea on some of the choices he's gonna need to make.

Stech, Jake, Rousell, have been really disappointing Imo. 

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I think the heartbreak is that after 2 games ... the fans had hope. Having hope than losing it, is what hurts the most. 

That’s hockey for yeh... think the bandwagons already lightening up?   Watching the Canucks you’d think your skin would toughen up - heartbreaking is losing in a final - disappointing is losing this series in six (if we do - personally I don’t think panic time yet) ...

Winning five playoff games in a row against teams like these ones definitely got the morale up and still like our chances.   Allen has been their difference maker, more so then ROR ... got to make it tougher for him next game 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Fools errand thinking this was going to be a sweep or ending in 5. The Canucks pounced when they had a chance with the first 2 games, we gotta finish em off, or try to at least. Coudl've been a different story though had JT Miller ended in OT in Game 3

It is rather funny the doom and gloom here. We are tied with the cup champs while Oiler, Jets and Leaf fans who are supposed to be long past their rebuild would love to be in the exact spot we are in.

Hell today we saw the best version of the Blues and without a few bonehead mistakes we were right there.

I will say losing Myers has really exposed Stech and Edler.

Stech should never ever sniff minutes against anything but the 4th line and Edler is far more effective when his minutes are kept around 20-22 mins.

Jake and Zac have just sucked no way to sugar coat it. They have zero hockey IQ and offense just dies with them.

I still think this series goes the distance and 4 months ago who wouldn't have taken that?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Taffoli in for Pearson (who's gotten cold and had 4 GAs, first line with 7 GA's overall, which I think is indicative of getting out muscled on the boards) take out Ericsson and move Boeser down (need someone to help create time and space for EP and Miller) 

This is the big change- adding a puck retriever to 1st line, Roussel, MacEwen, Sutter. Someone good on the boards and comfortable in the dirty areas.(my dark horse Graovac to protect Petie and Milzy).

With Ericsson out I would add speed to Bo's line. Virtanen or Bailey. (Blais and Kyru have added speed to St L. I think we should counter with speed). Bo is doing enough with FO duty so some help with puck retrieval would be good. Ericsson has been serviceable but we need more offense.

I love Stech but I think he is in deep water,  I'd try a bigger body in there to help with some push back. OJ is not tough per se but a wide body. That is unless Myers is ready.

I think their adjustments of added speed is throwing us off. We need to adjust.  Speed creates some chaos and moments of a chance to be offensively creative. IMO

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I refuse to believe St. Louis won the series just because they won this game. It’s 2-2. It’s anyone’s to take. 

Go Canucks!

Your positivity is a rare thing on here. Wish there were more like you!

• Cheers 2

When the refs get cut down down for  the next round Sutherland will be out of the bubble 

the nhl knows he is not in the group of “not as crappy” refs yet they keep assigning him to our games 

our special teams were pathetic but having him out there didn’t help 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

People laugh at us because we have the whineyest fans anywhere. Even worse then the crybabies in Calgary, and that’s saying something.

Every time the team has a bad game, half our fans think they know more about coaching / running a team than our coaching staff.

Its hilarious to read some of the posts on this board.

Junior B thoughts coming from Junior B minds. Brutal.

How is our genius staff doing?

0-2 with a huge momentum shift and after multiple tactical adjustments from the Blues yet same old from us 

you are just refuse to critically see it and when it’s called out you get sad be use someone dare to question what the h we are doing 

10 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

When the refs get cut down down for  the next round Sutherland will be out of the bubble 

the nhl knows he is not in the group of “not as crappy” refs yet they keep assigning him to our games 

out special teams were pathetic but having him out there didn’t help 

I do not think refs had much to do with our losing. Canucks had 7(?) pp chances and they did not bury them. Blues made adjustments in their PK and it showed. We need to make ours now.

Edited by FaninMex

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Saw zero special teams adjustments yesterday 

same static pp that The Blues have figured out and sane static kill that the Blues have figured out 

we don’t press on the kill and they pressed .... aggressively 

our coaching sucks 

My solution is to put Loui on pp1, park him on front of the goalie wich free up space for the others, and take Horvat to PP2 so out second unit get some power. 

Loui is close to score in that position so use him there. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

How is our genius staff doing?

0-2 with a huge momentum shift and after multiple tactical adjustments from the Blues yet same old from us 

you are just refuse to critically see it and when it’s called out you get sad be use someone dare to question what the h we are doing 

2288 - the spam of the CDC PGT win or lose.   Never give credit when it’s due - during a five game win streak - quickest to the draw when it comes to criticism.  Does anyone know how to block someone from having to see their vitriol and blatant troll job?  At least the Gaurdian had game and was a good devils advocate - (and should never have been excommunicated) otherwise I’d be wondering if that’s you.   Keep it up - you seem to take more pleasure after a loss and don’t see how the mods haven’t caught on to your stic yet. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1