The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 17, 2020 | Series tied 2-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Silent Man said:

I personally won't go to the cup parade if my team wins it using dirty plays. I am not a fan of "winning at all costs" mantra. But this is just me, I see what are you saying.

It's really hard to define dirty. 

Was Bure's elbow dirty? Was Kesler dirty? "Say hi to Kelly for me" is filthy.

Is a clean hit dirty if you hurt a guy?  I respect your choice but it can get really grey.

• Huggy Bear 2

4 minutes ago, Apricot said:

You're jumping ship when the series is tied 2-2, a real fan doesn't do that. A real fan doesnt jump ship regardless, facts or no facts. "Happy this went to 6", how can you say you're a real fan when you don't even have faith in your team and just talk like they've already lost the series. We're major underdogs and everyone knows that and this series wasnt going to be easy but you cant just give up just like that. We ALL knew that this series was going to be tough, and hard for us to win but a lot of us are still here, and continue to be here, regardless if we win or lose. Real fans stay, fake fans stay when they're winning and leave when they're not. 

in a Galaxy far away... people in pink bunny suits get to decide who is a "real Fan" and who is "fake"

haha

j/k

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So why now?

Why not at the start of the series?  We beat them in the first two games....so because they lost the last two it's all changed?  I'm sorry...that's really bandwagon behaviour.  "I'm only on board when my team's winning".

Blatant fact:  the series is tied, not over.

I'd like a support roaster to throw Perron into.

support roaster gives me so many conflicting images

I wish I knew what you actually meant

Support hose

Roasting pan

one of those gala events hosted by Jerry Lewis

maybe you meant Rooster? Foghorn Leghorn

56 minutes ago, shazzam said:

He plays hard but we got to make those those tough minutes for him. Not sure if we have the personnel for that though. He just goes about his business, doesn't do anything after whistles. We don't go after him like they do Petey. We're getting worn down and they're not ATM. 

Well to be fair they played rope - a - dope save your energy until the actual playoffs start and we had to play a playoff round against another hitting defensive team just to get the pleasure of playing them.   Wonder how they’d be doing right now if they just finished a hard fought 4 game series against MIN? My best guess is we’d be at that same spot - but inverted.   We’d have taken a few games to hit our stride and the in y’d have started with their best games and be a little worn out by now too.   We aren’t much worse then these guys really - we have the better skill and are very well balanced our real weakness was exposed when Myers went down.   It’s not the end of the world or even our playoff run necessarily....it is what it is.   If anyone was paying attention Markstrom said the team was bruised and recovering from bumps and minor injuries after game one.   Next up game 5... And this time it’s up to us a to bring it IMO. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's possible but Boeser and Miller have both proven to be unsuccessful on that side with quite a few shooting opportunities. Boeser in particular looks lost. At least Miller has taken a couple shots. So who is up next, Sutter? Unfortunately Jake wouldn't be picking up rebounds if we're not shooting the puck in the first place. 

no Sutter is too busy other places. Boeser was great in front against Minni, we could simply see if he finds it again. I'm not concerned by 1 game either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

I mentioned this idea earlier in the thread - according to the roster on SN Jake is 6'1 226lbs. Plant his ass in front of Allen as a screen and make the Blues move him out of the way. Allen is seeing everything he has to stop - we need traffic in front of him.

yup Jakes a big kid, he should be hard to move. Man I miss Bertuzzi, no one could move him off that spot. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, shazzam said:

Green has all the skilled players on one line and grinders on another. I don't think that works on a heavy team like the Blues 5v5. Got to have players that can crash and bang as well as carry the puck on each line.

Thank You Shazzam, that's what I have been trying to say. Boes and LE need to redeployed and some big heavy bodies need to be inserted into those lines. Petey/Miller and Bo/Pearson can provide goals they just need to be given some more room out there. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Series isn't done and i still believe we can pull this off. 

Based on what I'm seeing though Id say keep Tanev and try to keep Toffoli and figure out a way at all costs to shed other salary including throwing in draft picks. We are not far off. This round shows us we lack defensive depth. 

If you want to improve defensive depth don’t be going signing any forward UFAs with cost and term.   Bank the money for later for another solid top six guy.  

19 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So why now?

Why not at the start of the series?  We beat them in the first two games....so because they lost the last two it's all changed?  I'm sorry...that's really bandwagon behaviour.  "I'm only on board when my team's winning".

Oh that was my expectation since training camp for return to play. Nothing changed on my side with winning the first two.

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

yup Jakes a big kid, he should be hard to move. Man I miss Bertuzzi, no one could move him off that spot. 

I miss Babych ... that guy could move anyone from the front of the net and make teams pay for crossing the blue line on and keep it clean minus the holds which were rarely called back then.   Probably the only defenseman ive ever seen grab on guy with one gloved hand and immobilize him while reaching out with stick in hand and stopping another in his tracks at the same time.   Different times for sure.   Plus he always played his best in the postseason.   Bertuzzi was a beauty for a few years but it didn’t matter much come postseason ... 

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The difference is having the confidence in their goaltender. They able to play more of their game without worrying about covering for their goalie. Binnington's confidence was totally shot. That was the biggest change they've made. We need to somehow get into Allen's head.

right, I forgot about that change.

40 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

So I am not a real fan when the blatant facts are presented?

I am not complaining, this is what I expected and am more than happy this went to 6. Honestly going to 6 was the top of my expectations.

We just don't have the nastiness, dirtiness, support roaster, and experience to beat the defending Champs. 

Nothing more nothing less.

But I guess you might get to be right too which must be some sort of ego boost but it’s too easy to say the Blues would win at the start.   Pretty sure most fans knew this but still chose to go with the Canucks as far as predictions go. 

Personally I said 6 first (we’d win) with two conditions.  One if we played Binnnington then it was ours in five which for sure it would have been (we’d be up 3-0 and I’d guess 3-1 now based on play ..Berube isn’t as stupid as he was when he played..too bad)..  Second we’d be in tough IF Allen played (which for sure happened ...saved them getting strangled and down 3-1 or 4-0).    I was both right and wrong ... and don’t really care a bit about that- all I care about is did the team try.  So far for sure.   Myers out and Allen in have been the major metrics of the story so far and not much else (with apologies to Horvat and ROR).  I doubt this series isn’t decided in

seven  games at this point. What a great series so far. 

20 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Oh that was my expectation since training camp for return to play. Nothing changed on my side with winning the first two.

So does this make you happy or are you just tooting your own horn so we notice it?  Noted PureCool said :  St Louis in six .      Will try and remember to not rub it in later if you don’t? 

34 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Thank You Shazzam, that's what I have been trying to say. Boes and LE need to redeployed and some big heavy bodies need to be inserted into those lines. Petey/Miller and Bo/Pearson can provide goals they just need to be given some more room out there. 

Those four only one is not a heavy body.  

41 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So why now?

Deb, I've got the same feeling-it is over. I've never been a bandwagon jumper. Hell, I brought my family form Ukraine to Vancouver because of Canucks during Messier era

But I am very happy with this season and I can see an incredible potential of our young core. We are not there yet to beat the defending champions, but we are going in a right direction faster then I thought. And it gives me hope.

10 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Deb, I've got the same feeling-it is over. I've never been a bandwagon jumper. Hell, I brought my family form Ukraine to Vancouver because of Canucks during Messier era

But I am very happy with this season and I can see an incredible potential of our young core. We are not there yet to beat the defending champions, but we are going in a right direction faster then I thought. And it gives me hope.

Did I miss something? Are we down 3-0 right now? I think you miss judge this team just a tad. We beat a very good team already in a playoff atmosphere, and we are tied right now with the SC Champs. We are in this.

We have a pretty good goalie, great Captain, veteran presence including those who won a Cup already and a young core who have elevated their play from the regular season. In other words, playing way above expectations. Have you seen a player like Hughes, EVER, in a Canuck uniform? 

I can tell you right now that this team has just as much of a chance to go deep then any other in this cities history. In fact, I think we do better when we are the underdogs. I seen how young Bure and Linden were when they made it to the final so I am not underestimating these guys one bit , but you go ahead and give up on your team if you like.