The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 21, 2020 | Canucks win series 4-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

I was wondering what people think about the effect of the bubble. No travel, no families, no fans. Does that favor one team over another?  I wonder. 

Older teams with older legs might benefit from no travel. But older teams where players are married with kids might be more negatively affected mentally. The young teams with more single guys are hanging with their buddies and having more fun maybe do better in this environment. It seems like the older teams got bounced. The Caps, Blues, etc and the younger teams like Isles, Ava and Canucks advance. I’ll have to look at average age stats and see if this holds any water.

Does a defensive team with a conservative style benefit from no fans generating extra energy? Are the Canucks with their high tempo game at a disadvantage without the energy of an audience?  

Hard to say what the conditions mean but as a viewer who would not be able to attend Canucks games in person in any event I think the games and broadcasts are great. 

I think it has more to do with the lack of a true home ice advantage.  Older players know how to make the best use of the energy created by their home buildings and know how to make it intimidating for teams coming in, especially young, inexperienced teams.

• Haha 1

It’s funny, back when the Hawks torched us in 2009 & 2010, or the Bruins beating us in 2011, it was “Luongo was horrendous in these series at critical times, the Hawks and Bruins tore him apart and made him look really bad.” In this series it’s “Binnington is a sieve, anyone could have scored on him.” It’s absurd, the Canucks never win because of great play, it’s “the other team was terrible” or it was “gift-wrapped.” Believe me, living in the USA, the American media is giving full credit to the Canucks for exposing the Blues. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

I know people here don't like it when we "go into a shell" trying to protect a lead.  Neither do I, and I thought the team did a pretty good job of continuing to play in their end after we went up 4-0.  But we also got pretty comfortable playing in our own end and boxing them out, which is something you have to be able to do.  That's a new skill this team has acquired and it suits Marky's elite play to a t.  Call it "rope-a-dope" or whatever, but it demoralized the Blues to have that much possession in our zone and get so little out of it.   It's a big part of what broke them, and make no mistake about it, our boys did break them.

Nice to see the Canucks emerging as a legit contender. We have some of best players in the league (or will be considered that soon).

Nice to see the most maligned players doing great. Beagle and Rousel only because of the 3 million dollar contracts, some have called them useless players, don't know what sport you're watching. Just because a 4th line centre doesn't score 30 points a year doesn't make him a bad player, thats not their job.

Virtanen has emerged as a very good player that can play up and down the lineup.

Benning looks like a hockey guru right now.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think it has more to do with the lack of a true home ice advantage.  Older players know how to make the best use of the energy created by their home buildings and know how to make it intimidating for teams coming in, especially young, inexperienced teams.

Those sound like BS excuses to me.

If you have to have the crowd energy to fuel you, then you're not doing it right.  It should come from within/the team.  I think that sets this team apart...they've got that mojo going.  They believe in each other and don't need anyone rah rah rahing them.

"Intimidation" is a facade in that respect.  I guess we're seeing that play out.  

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Now that I've regrouped I have to say:  WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What makes all the difference with this team is how much they believe in each other.  Maybe away from all the distractions (that is NOT a Milsbury reference) is allowing them to really focus, bond, gel and come together as a group.

Sky's the limit.  If they continue to press like they have...to work, even when faced with adversity, they are something special.

I truly believe that their character factors in strongly.  I don't think they point the finger or blame each other when they're down..I think they own it.  They're accountable and don't let ego get in the way.  We have guys like Petey and Quinn who could easily do that...just bask in the spotlight and act like they're special...but they don't.  They're some of the hardest workers on the team, on and off the ice.  

Marky's a huge factor and I always chime in with how critical goaltending is in the playoffs...can be a make/break thing.  But it's not everything...as we saw.  A team can also bail out a goalie when they do have an off night and our guys did that.

This really demonstrates how teams can have star players but playing as individual and expecting to it alone doesn't always work.  Sure, individuals can rise up (as Bo did) and take charge but, all in all, the team needs to be firing on all cylinders.  Everyone, from top to bottom, has to feel like their role is equally important.  Our bottom 6 is showing what that looks like.  They're blocking shots, fearlessly.  They weren't intimidated by the Big Bad Blues and their Resume.  If anything, it just made them rise to a level we hadn't seen on a sustained way like this before.  It's kind of amazing.

Edler....as we likely see him winding down may I take a moment to acknowledge and appreciate him.  He's stoic but he's a beast.  He, like Bieksa when he was here, takes a lot of flack at times.  The fans do what the team doesn't...pins things on him when he does have an off game.  Everyone will at times.  But him being "back" last night was so important and he's taken his licks but keeps on ticking.  Love that guy.

Stech is all heart and those who feel like he isn't "big" enough to play...don't watch him play.  Again...not alwasy "perfect" but clutch when he is.

I won't single guys out individually like this though...would be an entire essay (already is).  I just have so much appreciation at this point in life for this team giving me hope.  Something.  A lot of anxiety in the world and this is a safe place to unleash it all.  To cheer, to scream, to cowbell, to cry (damn that hype montage).  To "meet" with friends when we're not able to meet with friends.

I'm not asking for perfection from this team...but the effort that they put in obviously can take them places.  I just want to see that and then, whatever happens, I am satisfied.  This team's for real....and we're really only just setting out.  Good things to come.

Love your optimism Deb, in game 5 when they were down 3-1 someone told you they'd watched hockey for 70 years and the Canucks weren't coming back that game. Surprise, surprise. 

• Like 2

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Those sound like BS excuses to me.

If you have to have the crowd energy to fuel you, then you're not doing it right.  It should come from within/the team.

"Intimidation" is a facade in that respect.  I guess we're seeing that play out.  

I've played in front of hostile crowds/buildings as both the visitor and the home team.........it can be a big boost for the home team

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

First Minnesota, then St. Louis and now Las Vegas:  all pretty similar in how they play the game, if not it talent.  There will be a lot of carry-over in how we prepare for the next series.

Vega's D isn't in the same league as St. Louis' but their forwards are scarier imho.  They will try to hit our D through the boards on the dump and chase.  But we survived the Blues and will survive them too.

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

EP would be the first person to call that the reductive nonsense it is.

It's a team game.  The team gets nowhere without the contributions of a whole lot of players, period.

That's how you win Cups.  Yours is a lottery champion mentality.   Those high pickz - Matthews, McDavid blah blah - watching as our team advances.

Markstrom

Tanev Edler Myers Fantenburg Stecher

Horvat Miller EP Hughes Boeser

Beagle Sutter Motte

Pearson Toffoli Ferland

Virtanen Roussel LE

MacEwen Benn Gaudette Juolevi

That's why the team is where they are.

And that's not even counting Loui Domingue's cookies.

'Motter' was +2 in this series  20% ozone starts

Beagle was +3 with 15.4% ozone starts

Pettersson was +4 with a team high 65.8% ozone starts.

Beagle and Motte dominated St Louis and won the 5 on 5 battle - doing so playing up a steep grade.

Pettersson's success can't be separated from his team-mates, linemates, etc.  They were a large part of his conditions for success.

And while Motte and Beagle were scoring, Pettersson was blocking shots and diving in passing lanes.

That's how you win.  No double-flamingos in this group.

Lindenning and Green deserve a lot more credit than this market has afforded them. 

This isn't about "I told you so's" - it's about being real, recognizing a real team building effort, and giving credit where it's due.

Tank nation spent the past five years whining about every win - that might cost us to drop a spot in the draft.

Tank nation wanted lottey picks, period.  "Tank nation wanted top 7 picks" LOL.

Tank nation  had no idea how good Pettersson was until he started running away with the Calder - they were too busy drooling over and envying the Leafs the entire time.  In fact, tank nation was still whining that 'we' had no elite talent comparable to Toronto - after EP had already been drafted.

Tank nation is rewriting their story. 

Go right ahead and tell yourselves this team is what you wanted - or that Benning arrived here "by accident".  You're only fooling yourself.

Reductive nonsense?

Get off your stool. 

He meant to pick top 7??? Lol really. 

I’ll respond once, once and no more. 

None of this playoff glory happens without those top picks. Tank Nation wanted and got their top picks. That’s just a fact you and others will have to move on from. 

Beagle and Motte never make the playoffs, none of this happens without superstar, high draft picks, those which the Tankards advocated for, period. There is no room for discussion here, except if you want to talk about the strategic vision and execution of JB and the results? Which were definitely not spend high-draft high, so you just keep pretending the kid core was all part of some kind of Plan and leave me to my business if that is you’re MO. The man rebuilt the youth/core through consequence, not by plan. 

If you want to believe that JB’s strategy was to intentionally pick EP and QH at 5 and 7 OA with the most expensive rebuild roster in history, you are welcome to your opinion/fantasy. 

At no time was JB trying to pick top-7, punch a lotto ticket, possibly win the lottery or simply pick core pieces from the top of the draft, which was the result in the end and my entire point. 

EP and QH, among others, came to this roster despite JB’s managerial efforts, not because of them. No amount of fantasy or pointing to Motte or Sutter today can prove otherwise. 

if you’re going to use that argument then you’d better also include the obvious fails, like Gagner, Delzaster, Guddy and whatever else of JB’s moves which didn’t work out the way you have suggested the logic for Motte has, since, apparently this playoff success was all part of the same plan that picked at #5 OA and then at 7 to bring in the kids who are mainly responsible for the Canucks having any hope of playoff hockey. 

As I’ve clearly articulated in another post, I approved the strategy and deals management made afterwards, beginning with Miller and those that moved the team from rebuild mode to compete mode. I enjoy the roster composition, that’s no secret at all. 

I agreed with JB because I recognized the actual cupboard was still bare as far as the next wave concerned, which is a consequence of hitting consecutive homeruns with your draft picks to the point where the cupboard of prospects remains empty, a consequence Toronto has also experienced, but entirely blundered. Makes you wonder why the Canucks didn’t then target more picks, but whatever, I’m reeling in that bait. 

Since the pushover that’s was the Canucks at the time couldn’t wait for Gadjo, Lind, OJ, or even JV to arrive and play a serviceable role in order to effectively insulate the young, skinny-skill, I was happy to give up my desire to continue drafting high if it meant installing a rugged, playoff-capable bunch of quality UFAs or trades to insulate the kids with.

Nobody on the boards were happier at the time than I was when they brought in all the physicality they did at the time. 

Where we’re going to agree to disagree with your fantasy and revisionist theory is that guys like Motte and Sutter were brought in exactly for what we have just witnessed, awesome as it was, they rely on EP and QH, among others sure, for a ticket to the big show. JB did not intend to have those tickets, if anything, he was hoping to pick at the opposite end of the draft and his cap ceiling teams and statements support this. So, his execution was a failure, but silver linings are paying massive dividends, so all is forgiven, just not forgotten. 

I’ll give credit to JB all day long for seeing this team into the playoffs because that strategy to mainly build around EP and QH because that was the right direction to take, but you’ll have to excuse my capacity to understand how EP and QH, in particular, were never the strata of the draft that JB was aiming for with his most expensive “rebuild” in NHL history.  

I’m pretty sure my posting history speaks for itself as far as what management moves or strategy I’ve supported and which I haven’t.

Playing the Blues and now Vegas will be great because heavy playoff hockey is exactly what I’ve been advocating for as far as selecting the players, the style and all that good stuff along the way so that I can enjoy watching the type of hockey I do from the Canucks.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Green Building said:

That's your 1st mistake: HF Boards is putrid garbage juice

Agreed.   

I shouldn’t be so infatuated with that place, but I honestly can’t understand where many of their posters are coming from.

They prided themselves on taking an objective impartial stance but the more I read many of their posts, the more I realize that their “objectivity” is just hidden bias against Benning and this management group because

A) This Management represents “dinosaur” way of thinking and dares to place a value on intangibles, culture, and leadership.

B-) Management rebuilt the Canucks in a very different way than what these “new generation fans” wanted and now that management is succeeding while these fans criticized and mocks them for all these years, they are desperately trying to create ridiculous narratives rather than just admitting fault.

That place is completely loco.

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I feel like i missed something. 

When did this Tony Stecher thing happen? 

When he was a rookie and totally unknown, several of the brass called him Tony over and over (thought that was his name). He hammed it up, and told them his name was Tony Stretcher, and it's stuck since as a meme.

Meet our own Mafia Ice-Man, Tony Stretcher.

StecherStache1.png.3d5d190db021bd98d4636bdc8d0dd6c6.png

Edited by xereau

1 minute ago, xereau said:

When he was a rookie and totally unknown, several of the brass called him Tony over and over (thought that was his name. He hammed it up, and told them his name was Tony Stretcher, and it's stuck since as a meme.

Meet our own Mafia Ice-Man, Tony Stretcher.

StecherStache1.png.3d5d190db021bd98d4636bdc8d0dd6c6.png

so awesome

22 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yes I can.

And I will:   Binnington played like a total sieve this series.

Even Hrudey said something to the effect that the Blues weren't getting NHL-level goaltending from him, so yeah.  But there were 2 teams on the ice and we made him look bad in a way that he never could have achieved on his own. 

• Vintage 1