The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 21, 2020 | Canucks win series 4-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Awesome team game and so much for all the whiners complaining about our bottom six forwards.  Early in the series when the complainers were whining about our bottom six, they forgot that it was those same bottom six players that were keeping the score down, winning crucial faceoffs and keeping us in the game.  Marky has been fantastic.  Stecher is giving us lots of reasons for re-signing him and Motte is an energizer bunny that is tenacious on the forecheck.  Sutter had a great series against the Blues.  Roussel has picked up his game.  Same with Virtanen.  Even Louis is solid.  Horvat has been a beast.  Green continues to adapt and respond and shows why he is a very good coach with this young team that is playing very well against better teams (on paper).  No, I am not Green's nephew and I am almost old enough to be his father.  I don't know him at all but I know he is a proud BC boy like me.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

Remember the folks who wanted Benn and Fantenberg scratched and Joulevi/Rafferty slotted in? I thought they both got stronger as the series went on and back when we signed Fantenberg I was happy with the addition as I thought he had a great series for Calgary against the Avs last year. 

With that said we need Myers back for this next series - the D has logged a lot of minutes. 

If Toffoli can slot back in look out Vegas!

Fantenberg has been a pure revelation. TBH, I didn't think JB was that bad when they sat him out, but Fanta's play has proven that the coaching staff knew what they were doing.

Now Benn steps back in the lineup and it looks like he was never gone. Huge props to both of them...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

When Bo stapled Perron to the boards, I knew that he was going to be a non-factor for the rest of the game.

Not surprised that he failed to mention that. 

Bang on....That hit was a work of art... and after the game he showed up to be nothing but a whiny bitch... so long Perron dipstick...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Unbelievable,

According to HF poster MS, Detroit and Ottawa would have been able to beat St.Louis with the goaltending that the Blues had this series.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/wqsf-game-1-vancouver-canucks-vegas-golden-knights-aug-23-7-30pm-pst-spac.2774822/page-8

What a joke.

Courtesy of my eight year old twins:

• Haha 3

There's more of an early 90's vibe with this outstanding cast, than the teams of a decade back. Maybe it's just that our key pieces/thrust are youth(mostly in '94 too)? No real comparables to the depth in youth now however, nor eliteness of a QH's type.

Also feel this team is more respectful(& respected by opponents.. that'sstill building, of course). Whereas a decade back we had a few players that were not exactly appreciated outside of the BC market(to put it mildly).

This team has dealt with an abundance of off-ice sadness & adversity. They've bonded well, in the true definition of team. I'm very proud that all of Canada will be watching this great collection of talent & character. JB's genius will be duly realized, as all puck-lovin' markets will come to see what he's constructed.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

36 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I love that Travis Green is finally getting the props he deserves. Lots of well respected people around the hockey world are praising Green for his superior work behind the bench during these playoffs. Here’s just one example:

Stan Fischler is a legendary hockey historian and journalist based out of New York and a Lester Patrick Trophy recipient. This is some very high praise for Green coming from a guy who certainly knows a thing or two about the game. 

And there are many others from all around the hockey world chiming in last night and today with similar observations about Green.

Really nice to see. 

I don’t think we as Canucks fans always realize how good we have it (and I’ve been pretty critical of our coaching at times). Travis Green is an top notch NHL coach, and one that many other teams would love to have. His work the past several years is a huge part of the success we’re seeing now. The Canucks have overachieved under Green. We don’t have a perfect roster, not be any means, but he’s managed to get what we need out of this group. And he straight up out-coached the guy who led his team to the Stanley Cup last year. Of course, there were other factors, on both sides of the ice, that helped the Canucks win over the Blues, but IMO, there’s no question that we had the better coach during this series, especially when it came to strategy and adjustments for games 5 and 6.

Thanks man. I recall reading Hockey Digest articles by Stan Fischler back in the late 1970's. Glad to see he's taken note. He sure would know how Green was guided/influenced by the legendary Arbour(with Stan always in the NY market/area)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Thanks man. I recall reading Hockey Digest articles by Stan Fischler back in the late 1970's. Glad to see he's taken note. He sure would know how Green was guided/influenced by the legendary Arbour(with Stan always in the NY market/area)

Fischler also followed Green in Utica. He’s seen Travis as a rising star for a while, and I believe he wrote an article on Green sometime circa 2015 where he said as much. Definitely not just a one off tweet, but due respect coming from a guy who’s quite familiar with Green’s overall body of work as a coach.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, hobart16 said:

I was wondering what people think about the effect of the bubble. No travel, no families, no fans. Does that favor one team over another?  I wonder. 

Older teams with older legs might benefit from no travel. But older teams where players are married with kids might be more negatively affected mentally. The young teams with more single guys are hanging with their buddies and having more fun maybe do better in this environment. It seems like the older teams got bounced. The Caps, Blues, etc and the younger teams like Isles, Ava and Canucks advance. I’ll have to look at average age stats and see if this holds any water.

Does a defensive team with a conservative style benefit from no fans generating extra energy? Are the Canucks with their high tempo game at a disadvantage without the energy of an audience?  

Hard to say what the conditions mean but as a viewer who would not be able to attend Canucks games in person in any event I think the games and broadcasts are great. 

The Canucks has benefitted from no travel, they had so much energy all series long and it's very different than in the past.  With so much mileage on the team travelling, they legs tend to get fatigued so quickly and would not be able to do what they did this series.   When you are on the plane for hours, you get jetlagged so often that you are not able to get into the rhythm with your game.  It is a like a sun and a moon difference so far in the playoffs.  This is what it's like that most Eastern teams enjoy with so much energy.  We finally get to enjoy this type of energy for once.  It is a high quality playoff hockey.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Fischler also followed Green in Utica. He’s seen Travis as a rising star for a while, and I believe he wrote an article on Green sometime circa 2015 where he said as much. Definitely not just a one off tweet, but due respect coming from a guy who’s quite familiar with Green’s overall body of work as a coach.

That's cool. He's a big name in US puck coverage. Maybe the American version of Montreal's late, legendary Red Fisher.