The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Myers does not need to be 'sheltered' - ie he's a second unit penalty  killer for example - he doesn't need inflated ozone starts or a partner to protect him.

The only players on the roster that do - are Gaudette - and to a lesser extent, Hughes.

If we have Myers as a 3rd pair, that's a strong D core IMO. I loved his game all year, especially in the bubble. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Really more and more like the Kesler situation. It’s a hard one to swallow for Arizona.

How so...Kesler asked for a trade then only gave up a 2 team trade list. Arizona APPROACHED OEL and asked him to waive...asking the captain to waive 1 year into his recently signed 8 year deal....The deal the team GAVE him a NMC, lucky he is giving more than 1 team if any teams at all imo.

Arizona is a terrible organization, they really should get relocated to Quebec!

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

All the same people saying trading for OEL is a bad idea are the same that said J.T. Miller was a horrible trade. There is a reason those people are trying to make up deals on message boards like this and not in an actual NHL front office, everyone thinks they are George Costanza getting the assistant to the GM job. 

That's a bunch of bs. There's absolutely no correlation between Miller trade and OEL. It's not the player in this case, it's the length and value of his contract.

Edited by RomanP
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

All the same people saying trading for OEL is a bad idea are the same that said J.T. Miller was a horrible trade. There is a reason those people are trying to make up deals on message boards like this and not in an actual NHL front office, everyone thinks they are George Costanza getting the assistant to the GM job. 

LMFAO, really? You're gonna go that route?

8.25 OEL for 7 years vs 5 M for 2 or 3 years for TJ. One is 29 years old. One is 26.

They're both really good players, but the term for 7 years is terrible.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Really more and more like the Kesler situation. It’s a hard one to swallow for Arizona.

If that is what you think, then you do not understand what is going on in Arizona. Arizona needs to trade OEL because they can’t have a $70 million or even probably a $65 million payroll this year and that is why they are trading him and OEL did not ask to be traded or even bring the notion up. So anyone saying this is just like Kesler or other teams are interested does not know what they are talking about. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, RomanP said:

That's a bunch of bs. There's absolutely no correlation between Miller trade and OEL. It's not the player in this case, it's the length and value of his contract.

Yeah there is, both are good players that are being traded for money reasons and Vancouver needs to take advantage of this pure and simple. You don’t get better in this league by passing on players of OEL skill and experience and the team trading him is only asking a fraction of the assumed asking price just a year or two ago. You can deal with his contract farther down the road when the Canucks have a whole lot more cap room in a few years, but if you walk away from Markstrom and Tanev and trade Virtanen then you can add OEL and resign Toffoli and still go after a backup goalie with cap room left over.

Edited by IjustNEEDaTROYgamble

4 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Yeah there is, both are good players that are being traded for money reasons and Vancouver needs to take advantage of this pure and simple. You don’t get better in this league by passing on players of OEL skill and experience and the team trading him is only asking a fraction of the assumed asking price just a year or two ago. You can deal with his contract farther down the road when the Canucks have a whole lot more cap room in a few years, but if you walk away from Markstrom and Tanev and trade Virtanen then you can add OEL and resign Toffoli and still go after a backup goalie with cap room left over.

Are you serious? Canucks have 2 big ticket players to sign next off-season. Think about the price tag on Hughes if you suddenly have 8.5 mil OEL on roster. Some people don't see beyond the player's name... Also, how will they "deal" with OEL contract in a few years when he has a NMC? Same way they are dealing with Ericsson contract?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, RomanP said:

Are you serious? Canucks have 2 big ticket players to sign next off-season. Think about the price tag on Hughes if you suddenly have 8.5 mil OEL on roster. Some people don't see beyond the player's name... Also, how will they "deal" with OEL contract in a few years when he has a NMC? Same way they are dealing with Ericsson contract?

Are you not thinking at all?

petey and Hughes deal will not have a problem with signing them to $10-$11 million dollar a year deals and still fit them under the cap as Vancouver has a lot of money coming off the books in 2 years which is right when Hughes and Peter’s deals will kick in. The cap for Vancouver will start being mostly payed to the top 6 forwards and top 2 defenseman instead of the bottom 9 with their young players like Lind and Lockwood and Hoglander and Podkolzn coming in cheaper. The hardest will be Boeser as I think he gets traded before his next deal as the $7 million gualifying is real high. 
if OEL is not playing up to even a #4 defenseman in 5 years down the line then the Canucks buy him out, it’s that easy, if he helps the Canucks get past the second round and later in the next few years it is worth it.

I don’t understand why people care so much about cap space when the Canucks are going to have a lot of room and that is including Loungo’s cap capture penalty.

• Haha 2

During Benning's interview today, when asked about OEL, he quickly dodged the question, almost nervously. Maybe he didn't want to blurt out that they're close to a deal?

If it falls through, then what? Will Benning go after Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Ekblad or Barrie? 

Whatever happens, it's nice knowing VAN is now a destination of choice for some high level players.  If OEL doesn't work out, there's probably several other good Dmen who would love to live and pay in VAN. I'm really excited for the changes to come and next season, hopefully there will be a season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

During Benning's interview today, when asked about OEL, he quickly dodged the question, almost nervously. Maybe he didn't want to blurt out that they're close to a deal?

If it falls through, then what? Will Benning go after Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Ekblad or Barrie? 

Whatever happens, it's nice knowing VAN is now a destination of choice for some high level players.  If OEL doesn't work out, there's probably several other good Dmen who would love to live and pay in VAN. I'm really excited for the changes to come and next season, hopefully there will be a season. 

If the deal falls apart they need to trade Virtanen hopefully to Ottawa for some 2nd rounders and then try to get Marcus Petterson or Cernak. But I see OEL coming to Vancouver as I can’t see him going back to Arizona now.

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

He learned his lesson with Subban. Not going to say anything

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Robert Long said:

what about helping Tampa with their cap dump of Tyler Johnson with Foote as the ask? we'd have to walk from Toffoli but we'd be getting a skill upgrade on offence and defence. Not exactly the size of player to solve certain issues but still. 

It's an interesting spitball -  my thoughts would be to let someone else help Tampa with that -  the 4yrs x 5 million would be challenging to make work for us (31 pt player...) - too much term and a difficult fit here imo...you could park him at 3RW but that's a hefty price and a bit of a roadblock there....

But they could use the future we send them for Foote to lubricate a move elsewhere....?

43 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

If we have Myers as a 3rd pair, that's a strong D core IMO. I loved his game all year, especially in the bubble. 

Agreed - I wouldn't be opposed to adding another 'Myers' if the price were right.....ie if Ristolainen were to follow his tracks out of Buffalo....

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Are you not thinking at all?

petey and Hughes deal will not have a problem with signing them to $10-$11 million dollar a year deals and still fit them under the cap as Vancouver has a lot of money coming off the books in 2 years which is right when Hughes and Peter’s deals will kick in. The cap for Vancouver will start being mostly payed to the top 6 forwards and top 2 defenseman instead of the bottom 9 with their young players like Lind and Lockwood and Hoglander and Podkolzn coming in cheaper. The hardest will be Boeser as I think he gets traded before his next deal as the $7 million gualifying is real high. 
if OEL is not playing up to even a #4 defenseman in 5 years down the line then the Canucks buy him out, it’s that easy, if he helps the Canucks get past the second round and later in the next few years it is worth it.

I don’t understand why people care so much about cap space when the Canucks are going to have a lot of room and that is including Loungo’s cap capture penalty.

How can you pay 10-11 million ONE season from now,  not two, when you have also replace a top six LW (Pearson), a second pairing D (Edler), a third line C (Sutter) and have 21 million going off the books IF the bonus overages don’t get out of hand?  Starting off you’ve paid all the money out for two players coming off their ELCs.    Plus some depth bills that need re-upping.   So no.   We don’t have the cap space.   And if we dip into say Pearson or Sutter early even less so. 

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

No, not really - and not really a 'logical equivalence'.

I was fully on board - full homer in favour of the Miller deal = and wanted the team to target a comparable last offseason - the first guy that came to mind was Brock Nelson - who was expiring - but re-signed fairly promptly.  We needed a heavier, two way forward, preferably a natural center - who could take the load off Pettersson down low - ie play the center role defensively on his line - and a skilled guy that could enhance his production - and we happened to get a high end faceoff guy in the process - home run.

The equivalent this offseason - would be a player that complements Hughes in similar ways.... we have a pretty good candidate in Tanev although ideally if we were casting a mold we might prefer a bit more size and upside - but in other senses Tanev is probably better than most sizeable guys that look to score more.  

In any event, I'm not fully on board with a deal like this - unless it is at considerably below market value - in which case I warm to the idea...still a lot of work to do though, and a deal like this in a sense adds another step or two to the process they'd need to complete this summer....it's not an easy deal to accommodate - or make - so I'm in a wait and see disposition - but the idea that it's a gaggle of folks here that under-rated Miller isn't necessarily true.   OEL is a tremendous player - but as has been stated countless times, the team is tight with cap, he's a LHD (not ideal - if he were a RHD it may be borderline no-brainer), they have needs that come well before finding another LHD with Hughes and Edler, Juolevi and Fantenburg etc as options...really, their MVP goaltender, and two expiring RHD are more the order of need, and moving cap as well....so it really has to make sense in the form of considerably deflated value imo and willingness to eat LE's contract, otherwise.....

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

More importantly he's got his hair freshly dyed again, so he's ready to make some deals and get some prospects.  Buckle up!

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

There's no way any decent GM is going to blurt out the specifics or even the status of ongoing back-and-forth trade offers on what would be Benning's biggest and most important trade in the six years he's been here. The "no comment" is standard even under much less sensitive conditions.

And, to your latter paragraph, I wouldn't be so sanguine. The OEL situation is a rare and advantageous opportunity for us in many ways. No way are we gonna get rid of the dead cap we desperately need to offload in a deal (or UFA pick-up)  with the Dmen you mention.