The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

22 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Are you not thinking at all?

petey and Hughes deal will not have a problem with signing them to $10-$11 million dollar a year deals and still fit them under the cap as Vancouver has a lot of money coming off the books in 2 years which is right when Hughes and Peter’s deals will kick in.

FORWARDS (11 - $53,111,033) TERMS POS STATUS AGE 2020-21 2021-22 2022-23 2023-24 2024-25 2025-26 2026-27
Matthews, Auston "A"   C NHL 23 $11,634,000 $11,634,000 $11,634,000 $11,634,000
UFA

Tavares, John "C" NMC C NHL 30 $11,000,000 $11,000,000 $11,000,000 $11,000,000 $11,000,000
UFA

Marner, Mitchell "A"   RW NHL 23 $10,893,000 $10,893,000 $10,893,000 $10,893,000

$10,893,000

UFA

2020 Missed Playoffs
2019 Lost First Round (Won 0 Rounds)
2018 Lost First Round (Won 0 Rounds)
2017 Lost First Round (Won 0 Rounds)

No God No GIFs | Tenor

Aho, Sebastian   C, LW NHL 23 $8,454,000 $8,454,000 $8,454,000 $8,454,000

2018-19 Carolina HurricanesCarolina Hurricanes NHL   82 30 53 83 25 26 | PLAYOFFS 15 5 7 12 3 2
2019-20 Carolina HurricanesCarolina Hurricanes NHL   68 38 28 66 10 26 | PLAYOFFS 8 3 9 12 6 4

Year Result
2020 Lost First Round (Won 0 Rounds)
2019 Lost Conference Finals (Won 2 Rounds)

2018-19 Vancouver CanucksVancouver Canucks NHL   71 28 38 66 3 12 |              

2019-20 Vancouver CanucksVancouver Canucks NHL   68 27 39 66 16 18 | PLAYOFFS 17 7 11 18 2 2

Oh Yeah… It's All Coming Together – Clay Magazine

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Arizona will sooner or later be forced to trade OEL here to Vancouver.

...this idea that they’re waiting on Boston to decide on Krug makes zero sense. Krug is A.) better than OEL B.) a few months younger & C.) if Boston won’t pay Krug, then why on earth would they trade for OEL who’s the inferior dman and will cost more than what Krug will end up signing for?

Imo b/c of this, all signs lead to Yotes having to take whatever we offer and meeting at a middle ground to complete a deal. I would be shocked if Boston traded for OEL for reasons mentioned above. Doesn’t make any sense for them to do.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

6 minutes ago, EP40. said:

...this idea that they’re waiting on Boston to decide on Krug makes zero sense. Krug is A.) better than OEL B.) a few months younger & C.) if Boston won’t pay Krug, then why on earth would they trade for OEL who’s the inferior dman and will cost more than what Krug will end up signing for?

Imo b/c of this, all signs lead to Yotes having to take whatever we offer and meeting at a middle ground to complete a deal. I would be shocked if Boston traded for OEL for reasons mentioned above. Doesn’t make any sense for them to do.

Been saying this for awhile about Boston and Krug. Why on earth would they trade assets when they can just sign Krug. Only thing is maybe Krug wants to move on. I heard money was an issue. Boston offering in the 6.5 range and Krug wants more. 

50 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Agreed - I wouldn't be opposed to adding another 'Myers' if the price were right.....ie if Ristolainen were to follow his tracks out of Buffalo...

Risto was my top choice before the OEL possibility. Would love him here and he's pretty confident that he's going to be moved. 

7 minutes ago, rekker said:

Been saying this for awhile about Boston and Krug. Why on earth would they trade assets when they can just sign Krug. Only thing is maybe Krug wants to move on. I heard money was an issue. Boston offering in the 6.5 range and Krug wants more. 

Exactly, so who would they trade for an extra $2.25M over what they’re unwilling to go over for Krug?

They wouldn’t. And they won’t. 

:canucks:

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

this is a fraction of one of the numerous v-.0s of the Luongo trade threads....that was epic.

I have been purposely keeping myself away from this thread. I pop in once a day around dinner look for any updates then dip. I won't get my hopes up lol

We should know lots either tomorrow or day 2 of the draft. I'm sure it's fun to speculate tho lol

22 minutes ago, EP40. said:

?

can you explain how you arrive at that conclusion?

• Thanks 3
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Are you not thinking at all?

petey and Hughes deal will not have a problem with signing them to $10-$11 million dollar a year deals and still fit them under the cap as Vancouver has a lot of money coming off the books in 2 years which is right when Hughes and Peter’s deals will kick in. The cap for Vancouver will start being mostly payed to the top 6 forwards and top 2 defenseman instead of the bottom 9 with their young players like Lind and Lockwood and Hoglander and Podkolzn coming in cheaper. The hardest will be Boeser as I think he gets traded before his next deal as the $7 million gualifying is real high. 
if OEL is not playing up to even a #4 defenseman in 5 years down the line then the Canucks buy him out, it’s that easy, if he helps the Canucks get past the second round and later in the next few years it is worth it.

I don’t understand why people care so much about cap space when the Canucks are going to have a lot of room and that is including Loungo’s cap capture penalty.

Clearly, you should be a fan of Toronto Maple Leafs...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

?

can you explain how you arrive at that conclusion?

Ekman Larsson is 100% the more complete D man. Krug is insanely offensively gifted but we might see Larsson explode offensively once he's out of Arizonas system.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

that's what I thought.

What’s what you thought? Me saying no? 

Let me be the first to tell you no, that’s not what you thought. You definitely anticipated me to explain my reasoning for it hence why you asked.

So yea, you’re wrong. And because it’s you, no. ::D

11 minutes ago, EP40. said:

What’s what you thought? Me saying no? 

Let me be the first to tell you no, that’s not what you thought. You definitely anticipated me to explain my reasoning for it hence why you asked.

So yea, you’re wrong. And because it’s you, no. ::D

no, that's exactly what I thought. 

that no, you can't explain your reasoning.

nevermind explaining how the question is/ I am  "wrong".

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

no, that's exactly what I thought. 

that no, you can't explain your reasoning.

nevermind explaining how the question is/ I am  "wrong".

Oh no, I very easily can. Just choosing not to since you asked.

If anyone else does I’ll more than gladly share it with them :) 

13 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Ekman Larsson is 100% the more complete D man. Krug is insanely offensively gifted but we might see Larsson explode offensively once he's out of Arizonas system.

I don't think the decision is based on which player is a better D.

To B, it is chemistry, it is knowing the player and the player knowing the system. You can expect what result would be generated and even possible weakness which they can work their way to prevent by adding other FA or via trade. 

Taking on a 8.5m unknown for next 7 or 8 years makes it a lot harder to predict result. I would say 50/50 luck and good scouting.