The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Finnish sniper Laine on the board

NHL'er

6 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

there was an article last year showing how he's actually using his shot differently, but he's still putting up ppg at a very good rate. He's learning to adapt his game given the amount of attention he's getting now that teams know they have to plan. for him.

I think what we saw last season was Brock learning to deal with the increased attention on him and also trying to become a more complete defensive player. If he can put all of this together he's going to be a scary weapon again.

-- 

What has changed significantly, however, is Boeser’s number of wrist shots and snap shots per game. The two shot types have essentially flipped: Boeser is averaging a little more than half a shot less per game when it comes to wrist shots and nearly half a shot more when it comes to snap shots.
One of the key differences between a wrist shot and a snap shot is the time it takes to release the shot. A wrist shot generally has a longer release, while players can get a snap shot off a lot more quickly. Perhaps this means that opposing teams are giving Boeser less time and space to shoot the puck, forcing him to take more snap shots than wrist shots.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/brock-boeser-is-taking-far-fewer-wrist-shots-in-2019-20-than-in-past-seasons-1.24046830

When I first started watching him, when ever he was able to get into a good scoring position, that puck was buried and the goalie had no chance. Now, I have seen him have numerous chances where he was one on one with the goalie and his shot looked "normal" and the goalie made easy saves. 

I really thought he was going to be our next "Bure" and I was relieved to have a "sniper" on our team again. I am thinking that he has wrist problems still as I would think they would be using his one timer on the PP. It was nice to see it in the playoffs but they never attempted to use it all year. Even others were saying to use him on one side and Petey on the other on the PP with their one timers. 

Anyway, hoping he scores more then 16 goals this year.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

there was an article last year showing how he's actually using his shot differently, but he's still putting up ppg at a very good rate. He's learning to adapt his game given the amount of attention he's getting now that teams know they have to plan. for him.

I think what we saw last season was Brock learning to deal with the increased attention on him and also trying to become a more complete defensive player. If he can put all of this together he's going to be a scary weapon again.

-- 

What has changed significantly, however, is Boeser’s number of wrist shots and snap shots per game. The two shot types have essentially flipped: Boeser is averaging a little more than half a shot less per game when it comes to wrist shots and nearly half a shot more when it comes to snap shots.
One of the key differences between a wrist shot and a snap shot is the time it takes to release the shot. A wrist shot generally has a longer release, while players can get a snap shot off a lot more quickly. Perhaps this means that opposing teams are giving Boeser less time and space to shoot the puck, forcing him to take more snap shots than wrist shots.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/brock-boeser-is-taking-far-fewer-wrist-shots-in-2019-20-than-in-past-seasons-1.24046830

It doesn't simply come down to opposing teams giving Boeser less time and space.

He, for example, is not occupying the leftwing half boards on the powerplay - is not in a position to take those shots - the team moved Miller there while Boeser has been playing down low on the powerplay unit, retrieving pucks and going to the hard areas to try to score different kinds of goals than we  are used to seeing him score...

The other - perhaps even more obvious factor (than teams taking away all his space) - might be Boeser's wrist injury/injuries...

"The time off also allowed him some time to heal a troublesome wrist injury, which he received a injection for in April."

“I didn't know how I was going to feel when I got back, how my wrist shot, or my wrist was going to affect me when shooting the puck,” he said.

Another injury he suffered in that season was to his wrist, suffered in a collision with Dan Girardi. That took away his greatest weapon, his wrist shot, and it’s often noted by fans and media alike that his shot has never been the same since. To this day he tapes his wrist, causing worry of it being a nagging injury. It has also been documented that he’s shooting discernibly fewer wrist shots, only adding on to the concern.

the first quotes come from 2018- "to this day" comes from this year.....

Boeser is less able to leverage his wrist - it takes more pressure to lean into a wrister than a snap shot - he'd typically leverage his weight against his off-side leg - and the result is more accurate than the quicker snap shot....that might be as much a factor as anything...?

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It doesn't simply come down to opposing teams giving Boeser less time and space.

He, for example, is not occupying the leftwing half boards on the powerplay - is not in a position to take those shots - the team moved Miller there while Boeser has been playing down low on the powerplay unit, retrieving pucks and going to the hard areas to try to score different kinds of goals than we  are used to seeing him score...

The other - perhaps even more obvious factor (than teams taking away all his space) - might be Boeser's wrist injury/injuries...

the first quotes come from 2018- "to this day" comes from this year.....

Boeser is less able to leverage his wrist - it takes more pressure to lean into a wrister than a snap shot - he'd typically leverage his weight against his off-side leg - and the result is more accurate than the quicker snap shot....that might be as much a factor as anything...?

we don't know yet if this is a permanent thing or not... has he recovered going forward or does that shot simply put too much pressure on his wrist and its not sustainable? just have to wait and see. 

On 10/18/2020 at 10:48 AM, Robert Long said:

we don't know yet if this is a permanent thing or not... has he recovered going forward or does that shot simply put too much pressure on his wrist and its not sustainable? just have to wait and see. 

Anything that I suggested giving up in my proposal a page or two ago, Laine would be the best player in the trade and would instantly make Canucks better. No one that I mentioned in my suggestion would ever come close to equaling what Laine is already showing that he's capable of.

With the depth that we have in prospect, would be okay with overpaying a little to get him here.

Not that its going to happen though.

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Anything that I suggested giving up in my proposal a page or two ago, Laine would be the best player in the trade and would instantly make Canucks better. No one that I mentioned in my suggestion would ever come close to equaling what Laine is already showing that he's capable of.

With the depth that we have in prospect, would be okay with overpaying a little to get him here.

Not that its going to happen though.

he would be, but I'm not sure I agree that we'd be better overall, it depends on what we miss out on defensively. 

Everyone loves to compare Boeser to his rookie season and say that he’s regressed or that injury is affecting him.

To me it’s pretty obvious that he is not getting the same time and space he was afforded in his rookie season. Teams are well aware of his wrist shot and are quick to disrupt it. In my mind he has been slow to adapt to this and is not getting himself in proper shooting positions.

He has however been able to adapt at becoming a better playmaker to counter that. But I see him needing to continue working on his skating in order to get to those “soft spots” quicker so that he can set up for his one timers and wrist shots.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Everyone loves to compare Boeser to his rookie season and say that he’s regressed or that injury is affecting him.

To me it’s pretty obvious that he is not getting the same time and space he was afforded in his rookie season. Teams are well aware of his wrist shot and are quick to disrupt it. In my mind he has been slow to adapt to this and is not getting himself in proper shooting positions.

He has however been able to adapt at becoming a better playmaker to counter that. But I see him needing to continue working on his skating in order to get to those “soft spots” quicker so that he can set up for his one timers and wrist shots.

Agree completely with your assessment. 

Either 1 of 2 things strike me with Laine if he were to be here:

1) Either he's misunderstood by the media and is happy as a clam if he gets 1st line minutes and becomes a team player, or

2) He's not a team player and just becomes a thorn in our side like he is in Winnipeg.

He's a risk for whoever team has him really. I'd like for point #1 to be the case, but I don't think that's guaranteed.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Lets look at the stats shall we?   YR          GP         S         S%          Assists

17-18         62        179       16.2          26

18-19         69        209       12.4          30

19-20         57        169        9.5           29

His first season when he played 9 games his Shooting % was 16 so the first 2 seasons he was fairly consistent. Then it has dropped the last 2 seasons. As far as the playmaker statement his assists are pretty consistent for the past 3 years so I don't see the "better playmaker" becoming evident. 

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Lets look at the stats shall we?   YR          GP         S         S%          Assists

17-18         62        179       16.2          26

18-19         69        209       12.4          30

19-20         57        169        9.5           29

His first season when he played 9 games his Shooting % was 16 so the first 2 seasons he was fairly consistent. Then it has dropped the last 2 seasons. As far as the playmaker statement his assists are pretty consistent for the past 3 years so I don't see the "better playmaker" becoming evident. 

Shooting percentage would be affected by being in worse shooting positions which just adds to my point.

As far as playmaking ability you’d have to watch the games to see that. Stats only tell part of the story. Before he was picking up assists simply by being part of a play, now he’s getting them

more by being the one creating plays.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Shooting percentage would be affected by being in worse shooting positions which just adds to my point.

As far as playmaking ability you’d have to watch the games to see that. Stats only tell part of the story. Before he was picking up assists simply by being part of a play, now he’s getting them

more by being the one creating plays.

I remember when he first broke in that if he got in scoring position, the puck was in the back of the net. The goalie didn't have a chance. Now, I have seen him get into prime scoring areas and shoots and the goalie makes a save or he misses the net completely. Especially on a couple of breakaways he had. Its not there anymore and I am not a believer in him being a 40 goal scorer anymore. 

He is still a smart player and playing with the likes of Petey are automatically going to get him assists. Not to mention playing on the top line and #PP. 

Oh, and by the way, I watch every game they play.

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I remember when he first broke in that if he got in scoring position, the puck was in the back of the net. The goalie didn't have a chance. Now, I have seen him get into prime scoring areas and shoots and the goalie makes a save or he misses the net completely. Especially on a couple of breakaways he had. Its not there anymore and I am not a believer in him being a 40 goal scorer anymore. 

He is still a smart player and playing with the likes of Petey are automatically going to get him assists. Not to mention playing on the top line and #PP. 

Oh, and by the way, I watch every game they play.

I would be quite surprised if Laine Never gets 40g or more in a season for the rest of his NHL career.