The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Finnish sniper Laine on the board

NHL'er

• 1 month later...

Well, first of all, James, there's been some scuttlebutt around the National Hockey League of late that Patrik Laine may not show up at camp if he's not dealt by the Winnipeg Jets. I reached out to his representation agents, Andy Scott and Mike Liut, to get some clarity and they absolutely deny that. That Laine has not asked for a trade, he's not threatening to not be a camp if he's not dealt. Having said that, his agents also made clear that it's fair to say that given that Laine knows his name has been in trade discussions as we've talked about here, and given that his usage in the lineup the last couple of years has been a constant topic of conversation, the fact that he doesn't get consistent first-line minutes, his agents Mike Liut and Andy Scott do confirm that it probably would be mutually beneficial to both the player and to the team if Patrik Laine is traded and that there is clear communication between them and Kevin Cheveldayoff, the GM of the Winnipeg Jets, about this.

- Pierre LeBrun

not gonna happen, but imagine Laine and Petey

1 hour ago, HomeBrew said:

Would rather have rookie year Boeser’s one timer. I surely hope he mends what ails him in order to bring that back.

If that Boeser could come back, no question. Boeser is a low maintenance player as well and seems like a great person. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Laine is a diva. No thank you. Don't care about his goal scoring prowess if he is a princess that makes demands. He's likely also gonna want big time Matthews type money. Since they were drafted together he likely thinks he's equal to if not better than Matthews. We have Boeser and Podkolzin on the right side. Good enough for me.

Agreed,

At the price we would have to pay...

Pass.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Would rather have rookie year Boeser’s one timer. I surely hope he mends what ails him in order to bring that back.

My issue with Boeser is that you cant be a one trick pony. Year 1 when no one knows him he can set up for a Stamkos one timer.

Year 2 and on, people know what you do and you need to diversify. That has been his issue. Hes big enough to be a more hard nosed player but I find he floats too much and wont go to the dirty areas to add more elements to his game.

given that his usage in the lineup the last couple of years has been a constant topic of conversation, the fact that he doesn't get consistent first-line minutes his agents Mike Liut and Andy Scott do confirm that it probably would be mutually beneficial to both the player and to the team if Patrik Laine is traded

Give Chevy a break fcs....

First though, wtf is the complaining about minutes about?

Laine was 3rd among Jets forwards in ice time this year - only Scheifele and Connor played more minutes.

3rd (to Ehlers and Connor) among forwards with 59.1% offensive zone starts.

3:13 / game of powerplay ice time - 5 seconds less than team leader Scheifele....

And most confusing of all:

54.1% of his 5 on 5 ice time - was with Scheifele and Connor....

10.1% was with Scheifele and Wheeler.

8.3% with Connor and Copp....

4.8% with Ehlers and Eakin

3.8% with Connor and Wheeler....

Wtf. is. the. problem. there?

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Sacrilage said:

My issue with Boeser is that you cant be a one trick pony. Year 1 when no one knows him he can set up for a Stamkos one timer.

Year 2 and on, people know what you do and you need to diversify. That has been his issue. Hes big enough to be a more hard nosed player but I find he floats too much and wont go to the dirty areas to add more elements to his game.

Nope.

He has had plenty of opportunities to let his one-timer rip since his rookie year and he has held back. Something is ailing him. With that said, he definitely needs to get quicker on his skates and raise his intensity level.

To Vancouver:

Laine

2021 3rd rounder

To Winnipeg (still think this is a gameshow for pirates)

Boeser

Virtanen

Woo

2021 2nd

2022 2nd

Sign Duclair 2 year, 2.25 - 2.5 million cap hit, 25 years old, 23 goals last year on a bad team.

Miller, Pettersson, Laine and Hughes on the same power play = SCARY

8 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Nope.

He has had plenty of opportunities to let his one-timer rip since his rookie year and he has held back. Something is ailing him. With that said, he definitely needs to get quicker on his skates and raise his intensity level.

Think he bulked too much after the Clifford hit. Hopefully he comes to camp more lean the twins were some of the most durable players to ever lace up and they were never overly bulky and owned the corners down low. 

Edited by Whalespray

The speculation about Boeser being hurt or too big I think is overanalyzing the situation. During his rookie year he was set up as the guy to be firing the puck for most of the time, and since then he's not been the only focal point on the offense. On top of that, most teams didn't really have a book on him and hes started to round out his game and not just blasting the puck every chance he gets. And quite frankly, that came during a time when Boeser was one of the few rays of light in a dark time for this team. So we really kinda hyped him up to be the third Hull or something. His goals have taken a step back and he's not going to be winning Selke, but the Boeser we've had recently is a much more complete player and I wouldn't be surprised to see him shooting more in the future.

• Cheers 2