The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Sept. 01, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 3-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, coho8888 said:

Hate to beat a dead horse.  The green light and horn are both automatically timed to the official game clock.  The clock on the SN feed is wrong.  It was zero well before either one was on. I watched it over and over and the horn and light went on the same time the puck hit the back of the net.

in any event I’m hoping it stays 2-1 because my wife predicted that score and won the office pool.

SN feed had the wrong time and I want the goal because I predicted 3-1 Nucks with Petey GWG!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tystick said:

Demko.

Too much pressure on Marky.

I agree. If we somehow make it to Game 7, definetely Demko. Theres going to be more criticism if Markstrom goes in at Game 7 and loses. "why would you put him in if hes still injured?", " why did you take out the hot hand?" If Demko loses, theres no 2nd guessing because Markstrom for all we know is still partly injured or not ready. If we lose, we lose. If Demko say make it to Game 7 and we won, and Markstrom is healthy, Marky will definetely get the first nod for Game 1 for the western final

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I was responding to all the let Marky walk comments. You mentioned nothing about a better offer from another team unless I missed it?

Sure some team may outbid the Nucks and if that happens I would be fine with Demko and maybe a Greiss another 1b type for a couple of years.

But based on everything we know about Marky and the fact that Benning has said he is the top priority, I think they split the difference and go 5.5 mill, term I have no idea but perhaps Marky takes an even friendlier deal money-wise, in exchange for more term? 

From what I gather from various reports, it seems like Marky and the Canucks are WAYS WAYS apart on a contract. Markys camp is asking for the sun and moon at around 6.5  - 7 with a lot of term. Im not sure thats going to fly with us with a potential star in Demko, a rising prospect in Dipietro. A lot of speculation that Carolina might go all in on Markstrom or perhaps Pittsburgh who are in win now mode for the next 3 - 4 years. The Canucks are in win, but get better. We aren't quite in all in mode yet, at least not until Petey and Quinn are in year 5 of their careers

3 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

From what I gather from various reports, it seems like Marky and the Canucks are WAYS WAYS apart on a contract. Markys camp is asking for the sun and moon at around 6.5  - 7 with a lot of term. Im not sure thats going to fly with us with a potential star in Demko, a rising prospect in Dipietro. A lot of speculation that Carolina might go all in on Markstrom or perhaps Pittsburgh who are in win now mode for the next 3 - 4 years. The Canucks are in win, but get better. We aren't quite in all in mode yet, at least not until Petey and Quinn are in year 5 of their careers

Markstrom starts his decline right as the rest of the group is peaking.  He's great now, but if he gets more than 4 years his contract's going to be awful near the end.  Demko stepping up and showing he can handle the pressure gives Benning a lot more leverage knowing that walking away is a reasonable option. 

I see a lot of similarities with this group to Chicago in 08-09.  Hawks moved on from Khabibulin and then Niemi before finding their long-term option in Crawford, using the cap space to keep as many of their young stars as possible.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

I don’t understand why folks are discussing the future of players and contracts when we are still in this. These are discussions for when it ends!

As for this game, I was so impressed with Demko. This was definitely the biggest game of his life. The guys better be more prepared and willing to work harder next game because it’s not likely he repeats this same level. 

It's a pretty huge compliment to Demko's performance to suggest not re-signing Marky.  Just CDC's natural tendency to overreact to any one game/period/shift.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Sutter lead the team in pk ice time tonight - I thought he was good - (I thought the trio + Beagle, Motte were excellent).

I think momentum shifted when Green shorrtened the bench - Gaudette/Roussel were struggling imo - getting pinned in frequently.

I don't think I'd want to see the lineup short a veteran center under the circumstances.

I wouldn't mind Russell sit out for MacEwen if he is struggling against the Vegas.  He was so good against the Wild and the Blues.  Need something to spark up the bottom 6 and slot Russell back in for game 7 since it's back to back situation.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I wouldn't mind Russell sit out for MacEwen if he is struggling against the Vegas.  He was so good against the Wild and the Blues.  Need something to spark up the bottom 6 and slot Russell back in for game 7 since it's back to back situation.  

Yeah I think Rousell should also sit. He has fire but it’s become a side show and the refs have focussed on him too much with the penalties. He is struggling out there. I would prefer Zach, he is bigger and more physically able to handle the Vegas 3rd/4th liners and not be so targeted by the zebras.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I don’t understand why folks are discussing the future of players and contracts when we are still in this. These are discussions for when it ends!

As for this game, I was so impressed with Demko. This was definitely the biggest game of his life. The guys better be more prepared and willing to work harder next game because it’s not likely he repeats this same level. 

If that is his best performance and he makes it consistent with his game next season, keep Demko.  If you can get Marky signed for a term he seeks but removes the NMC for expansion draft to allow for Benning's freedom to make a trade before the expansion draft for any team that wish to fill up their need and they could have some asset to play with.  If he insists including NMC on his contract, I'd let him walk.  You never know if we might need something back for next season with asset.  If I had to make a choice, keep Markstrom or Toffoli and Tanev, I would keep Toffoli and Tanev over Markstrom if Markstrom stood on his negotiation for his next contract.

Win next game and we will be in their heads making G7 very winnable.

Is it just me or is Vegas using a lot of picks to move the puck effectively. That call on Rousell is garbage, The refs seem to be doing a Burrows on him. 

Great win. One more win that is all.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

And didnt reports say that edler was going to sign a big long term deal? If I remember correctly myers was supposed tobe at least a mill more and a year longer.... i trust those reports as much as i trust a fart after i eat taco bell drunk

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Green Building said:

Love me a good Caesar, but I'm fully out of horseradish, smoked beans, pickled bacon, Clamato, celery salt, and vodka. Prob stick with whisky and an omelette. 

I’m in a similar position I do have Clamato though no whiskey or eggs it’ll have to be cereal and a mikes hard that’s been in the fridge forever 

2 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Win next game and we will be in their heads making G7 very winnable.

Is it just me or is Vegas using a lot of picks to move the puck effectively. That call on Rousell is garbage, The refs seem to be doing a Burrows on him. 

Great win. One more win that is all.

To be honest, we might win but I don't think we'll be in their heads.  We're massively overmatched and the ice has been tilted about 70 degrees in every single game.  We are squeaking out wins and we may win the series, but it's going to look like John Grizzly vs. Lincoln Hawk II in Over the Top, something we'd only be able to pull off once if the stars aligned and we gave it absolutely everything we had.

I suppose if Demko has another zero or one goal game then maybe he would start to get into their heads, but that's the only way we would do so.  Vegas knows they're outplaying us and they've done everything from blow us out to shut us out to come back from behind in the third period.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1

No love for Petey's goal?

Big scrum, picks it out of all the traffic, couple feet off the ice, perfect deflection off the shaft of his stick, of a shot that would have missed the net.

Also, 'Lias received at least a couple passes that would be impossible for most others; one off his shoulder blades without stopping his momentum.

Takes the cheap shots and keeps coming back for more.

A somewhat somber note: we all love Q's production but few have commented that Makar is right there with him (14 pts each). 

Not raining on the parade, just amazed at how close these two are.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

No love for Petey's goal?

Big scrum, picks it out of all the traffic, couple feet off the ice, perfect deflection off the shaft of his stick, of a shot that would have missed the net.

Also, 'Lias received at least a couple passes that would be impossible for most others; one off his shoulder blades without stopping his momentum.

Takes the cheap shots and keeps coming back for more.

A somewhat somber note: we all love Q's production but few have commented that Makar is right there with him (14 pts each). 

Not raining on the parade, just amazed at how close these two are.

Both goals tipped from the slot.  Did they find something on Lehner on film? And two beauty tips they were. 

Edited by sonoman
  • Vintage 2