The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks have not offered C.Tanev a contract extension

EP40.

20 minutes ago, rekker said:

I wonder if JB has his sights set on Tyson Barrie over Tanev. Completely different dmen but both right-handed. Not sure if I'm on board with that but would need to see how the rest of the D come together before passing judgment.  

Highly doubtful. Tanev is a proven excellent defensive defenseman. Barrie is a liability in his own end and had a very subpar season that can’t be blamed solely on being a Leaf.

In my humble opinion, Benning is either looking to sign Tanev or sign a larger, more physical replacement such as Dillon. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

What about an Eriksson swap with Colorado for Erik Johnson who I think is in the cap dump realm too if I’m not mistaken.  We take on one more year of bad contract but get somebody who could play the shutdown role to replace Tanev.  May still need to add but maybe not much.  Then maybe sign Tyson Barrie with Tanev’s money:

Hughes Myers

Edler Barrie

Joulevi Johnson

Not perfect but likely an upgrade from last year.

Barrie ain’t worth it, in my opinion. Rather give a younger player a chance than a guy that the Leafs didn’t want to re-sign. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Highly doubtful. Tanev is a proven excellent defensive defenseman. Barrie is a liability in his own end and had a very subpar season that can’t be blamed solely on being a Leaf.

In my humble opinion, Benning is either looking to sign Tanev or sign a larger, more physical replacement such as Dillon. 

Barrie may sign a short term, show me deal after last year. Maybe he's after both Barrie and Dillon, let Stetcher go.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, rekker said:

Barrie may sign a short term, show me deal after last year. Maybe he's after both Barrie and Dillon, let Stetcher go.

Maybe he might, but based on his last couple of seasons, it would be, in my humble opinion, investing a roster spot in a player who’s past his prime. 

One of the glaring issues the defense had during the playoffs was getting hemmed in their own end by an aggressive forecheck. Part of it was not having the personnel capable of breaking the puck out, but another facet was being physically overwhelmed by said forecheck. 

If Jim is going to have an undersized defenseman, I’d prefer he keep Stecher. At least they know that he bleeds blue and green. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That’s a bargain for Barrie?

38-59 pt dman... yeah, it is. Fair at least given the liabilities. Could work very well with Edler. If Jim rolled the dice and got him for that on a 1 year deal thats worth a go. 

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

38-59 pt dman... yeah, it is. Fair at least given the liabilities. Could work very well with Edler. If Jim rolled the dice and got him for that on a 1 year deal thats worth a go. 

And he could continue on his downward trend from last season. 

While I do believe you can give Edler any defenseman as a partner and he helps shelter their weaknesses, I’m not sure that Barrie would be a good choice for the team to make as they look to promote more players from within. 

31 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And he could continue on his downward trend from last season. 

While I do believe you can give Edler any defenseman as a partner and he helps shelter their weaknesses, I’m not sure that Barrie would be a good choice for the team to make as they look to promote more players from within. 

it all depends n the game plan, I can see them wanting both a guy that can help transition and also add a bruiser too. 

But you could be right, maybe the answer lies within too. 

I do think Toronto was a $&!#ty place for Barrie for a bunch of reasons, more than his game declining tho. 

I'm more yapping about Barrie vs Dumba - I'd rather have Barrie because it doesn't cost us in trade. 

Edited by Robert Long
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

it all depends n the game plan, I can see them wanting both a guy that can help transition and also add a bruiser too. 

But you could be right, maybe the answer lies within too. 

I do think Toronto was a $&!#ty place for Barrie for a bunch of reasons, more than his game declining tho. 

I'm more yapping about Barrie vs Dumba - I'd rather have Barrie because it doesn't cost us in trade. 

I'm not one to be pumping Barrie's tires. Still thinking on if he's a fit. But second unit PP would look better with Barrie manning it. Would rest Eddie more as well. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

I'm not one to be pumping Barrie's tires. Still thinking on if he's a fit. But second unit PP would look better with Barrie manning it. Would rest Eddie more as well. 

We'd be on the PK every time he got pinned in our own zone.  Barrie simply isn't good enough defensively to play in the NHL and doesn't seem to be particularly interested in learning how to actually play his position.  He'll be a great fit in someone's press box.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

We'd be on the PK every time he got pinned in our own zone.  Barrie simply isn't good enough defensively to play in the NHL and doesn't seem to be particularly interested in learning how to actually play his position.  He'll be a great fit in someone's press box.

I hear you. But he was better two years ago in Colorado. I wouldn’t right him off based on his Leafs experience. 

Just now, rekker said:

I hear you. But he was better two years ago in Colorado. I wouldn’t right him off based on his Leafs experience. 

He was better, but still nowhere near NHL quality in his own zone.  I wanted no part of him now and I want no part of him now.  I've had to suffer through Weber, Pouliot, Larsen, Del Zotto, and Bartkowski.  No more defensemen who can't play defense.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He was better, but still nowhere near NHL quality in his own zone.  I wanted no part of him now and I want no part of him now.  I've had to suffer through Weber, Pouliot, Larsen, Del Zotto, and Bartkowski.  No more defensemen who can't play defense.

I can't argue that and like I said I'm not waving the Barrie flag. Just trying to read the tea leaves with no contract offer to Tanev. Will be an interesting couple weeks.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

what if you got him at a bargain.... somewhere in the 4.75-5 mil range? 

I am only taking Barrie at 3.5m, tops. Lol. And that's only assuming Tanev's asking price is in the 5m per range. Even then if I had to choose I'd rather just give Tanev 5m and stay away from Barrie. Barrie doesn't bring anything to the blueline that 3 others don't already bring. In some cases they bring more. And the other 3 are far better defensively. So he doesn't really fit anywhere unless we want the softest blueline in the league.

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

According to TSN ppl it was a recently as last deadline.

I think Juolevi slotting in over Fanta (as well as he played) will be great for the Canucks ability to breakout, which is one improvement for sure. The D will also improve as Hughes has another year under him. So, two improvements on a team that made it to game 7 of the 2nd/3rd round is pretty good. But Benning definitely needs to either retain Tanev or improve on him if he wants to say that we go into next season with an improved D corps.

I vote for retain (Tanev) and improve (Stralman) ::D

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

I'd rather have Barrie for 'free' than spend assets on Dumba as well.

Even better, would be neither :P

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1