The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks will not retain $ or add a sweetener for Loui to be moved

EP40.

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

... and the new cap calculation averages out the two previous years rather than just a single year to keep it more stable. That means it has to be two years AFTER revenue catches up before the cap increases much of at all.

The players will also owe money after that due to the artificial cap on escrow right now.  There is basically no way revenue next season (and even the season after) will have recovered enough to only be around 20% escrow.

That means it is almost certainly a 4-5 year flat cap with only small increases for a couple years after that.  Tough sledding for players wanting to cash in.

I wouldn’t be surprised if guys like QH and EP end up taking substantially less than what people are saying they will make. By next year, salaries will definitely crash given the state of what’s going on. Three year bridge contracts 3-5M I’m guessing...

17 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if guys like QH and EP end up taking substantially less than what people are saying they will make. By next year, salaries will definitely crash given the state of what’s going on. Three year bridge contracts 3-5M I’m guessing...

Dream on if you think QH or EP will take bridge contracts under 5m...Boeser got almost 6m and EP is far superior to him. QH is likely looking at the Chabot deal and saying I can get even more than that AAV if he has another good season. 

Bridge contracts for EP and QH will cost around 12m if not more, long term for both will cost 16m at minimum.

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Dream on if you think QH or EP will take bridge contracts under 5m...Boeser got almost 6m and EP is far superior to him. QH is likely looking at the Chabot deal and saying I can get even more than that AAV if he has another good season. 

Bridge contracts for EP and QH will cost around 12m if not more, long term for both will cost 16m at minimum.

Hughes has no RFA rights like Boeser. All he can do is hold out. He is likely to get a bridge deal similar to Boeser's with a high qualifying offer.

It would probably be better for most RFAs to sign bridge deals since if they to sign long term now with a flat cap they wouldn't be offered as much as they could get 2-3 years from now when the cap is rising again.

Also I don't think the bridge deals will be under 5, that's a pipe dream, rather 6-7M with an 8-9M qualifying offer.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Hughes has no RFA rights like Boeser. All he can do is hold out. He is likely to get a bridge deal similar to Boeser's with a high qualifying offer.

It would probably be better for most RFAs to sign bridge deals since if they to sign long term now with a flat cap they wouldn't be offered as much as they could get 2-3 years from now when the cap is rising again.

Also I don't think the bridge deals will be under 5, that's a pipe dream, rather 6-7M with an 8-9M qualifying offer.

I could see both Petey and Hughes signing deals with 10 mil + QOs similar to Meier. The year to year differential has changed but it would be something in the 7.5 range for 4 years with a 10-11 mil QO. 

34 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I would be shocked if it was that low,  but to me “less than expected”. Means a bridge contract between Boeser’s and $6.5 million, or a max term contract of around $8 million per.

Either puts us in a greet position compared with Toronto who is paying g their stars above $10 million.

Edited by Provost

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I could see both Petey and Hughes signing deals with 10 mil + QOs similar to Meier. The year to year differential has changed but it would be something in the 7.5 range for 4 years with a 10-11 mil QO. 

Maybe Petey but Hughes is in rough in negotiations with no RFA rights. It definitely will play a more significant factor than Petey's contract. No need to be urgent with Hughes while you can't say that with Petey.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Maybe Petey but Hughes is in rough in negotiations with no RFA rights. It definitely will play a more significant factor than Petey's contract. No need to be urgent with Hughes while you can't say that with Petey.

true, but I think Jim will make a fair deal early if at all possible. 

Just now, Robert Long said:

true, but I think Jim will make a fair deal early if at all possible. 

Most certainly but the deal will be more catering/ideal towards management than Petey's .

Also I believe if Pod joins the team mid/late season it could have a similar effect to the no RFA rights but I would have to look into the requirements for it. I believe it is a certain amount of games played in your first 2-3 years of your contract.

12 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Qualifying offers for new contracts are now capped at 120% of the contract's AAV.  The structure of the Meier contract is still possible but anyone signing the same deal now would have his qualifying offer capped at 7.2M -  1.2 x the AAV of 6M.   This rule does not affect contracts that were signed before the approval of the new CBA.

A 4 year extension would bring Pettersson to free agency as he'll have 7 pro-years.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mll said:

Qualifying offers for new contracts are now capped at 120% of the contract's AAV.  The structure of the Meier contract is still possible but anyone signing the same deal now would have his qualifying offer capped at 7.2M -  1.2 x the AAV of 6M.   This rule does not affect contracts that were signed before the approval of the new CBA.

A 4 year extension would bring Pettersson to free agency as he'll have 7 pro-years.

thanks mll. 

That does make things a bit harder. So maybe something in the 3 year range, 7.5 AAV and QO of 9 mil. I wonder if something like that is on the table? 

3 hours ago, Robert Long said:

Did you just arrive from another planet? 

Do you think owners will dish out money like that when there is little to no income for the next year? 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Do you think owners will dish out money like that when there is little to no income for the next year? 

yeah, another planet. One where we get the news. Aquilini has said the Canucks will be a cap team. 

17 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

yeah, another planet. One where we get the news. Aquilini has said the Canucks will be a cap team. 

You really don’t get it. 

Financial issues are not a joke. Owners are going to feel the pinch way more next year. A full season of no fans will mean more full salary and little to no income, resulting in even further loses. 

You need to take a course in logic.

We are not gonna see anymore 10 million dollar salaries in the next couple years. 

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

You really don’t get it. 

Financial issues are not a joke. Owners are going to feel the pinch way more next year. A full season of no fans will mean more full salary and little to no income, resulting in even further loses. 

You need to take a course in logic.

We are not gonna see anymore 10 million dollar salaries in the next couple years. 

you need to take a deep breath. 

You have no idea what Aqulini's financial situation is. None. Na da. Zip. He's stated we'll be a cap team. I'll take that over your smarmy reply. 

10 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

you need to take a deep breath. 

You have no idea what Aqulini's financial situation is. None. Na da. Zip. He's stated we'll be a cap team. I'll take that over your smarmy reply. 

Ya I got a bit carried away there. I just feel strongly about it.

You’re right I don’t know his financial situation but folks that are rich don’t get rich by just throwing money into a guaranteed loss. That is exactly you are expecting him and some other owners to do. I already made a statement on how lucky we were to have an owner to make us a cap team but things will be very bad next year. 

81.5 million full team salary
1 million Travis Green

??? JB’s salary

??? building maintenance

??? building property taxes

??? other staffing costs (that are not players)

God know what else....

Arena income $0.00

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Ya I got a bit carried away there. I just feel strongly about it.

You’re right I don’t know his financial situation but folks that are rich don’t get rich by just throwing money into a guaranteed loss. That is exactly you are expecting him and some other owners to do. I already made a statement on how lucky we were to have an owner to make us a cap team but things will be very bad next year. 

81.5 million full team salary
1 million Travis Green

??? JB’s salary

??? building maintenance

??? building property taxes

??? other staffing costs (that are not players)

God know what else....

Arena income $0.00

Yip. I'm a pretty positive person, but not on an NHL return anytime soon. I've been soaking this in and enjoying hockey to it's fullest. No paying fans in the foreseeable future, no crossing borders. Frig, depressing.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yip. I'm a pretty positive person, but not on an NHL return anytime soon. I've been soaking this in and enjoying hockey to it's fullest. No paying fans in the foreseeable future, no crossing borders. Frig, depressing.

I try to be a positive person. I guess we can see it this way. When hockey does come back and when we can come back to the arenas. We will appreciate going to games more than we have ever. I guess we don’t know what we’ve lost until we’ve actually lost it. Hoping that when things do go back to “normal” that we would be very grateful for hockey and the ability to attend these sporting entertainment. 

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Don't forget all the lockouts there not long ago

Owners want a return and a good one and have sacrificed seasons to do so

Glad it is not my money to decide

Covid is one that the Owners, Players and Fans will be affected by and up against

Its still hard to believe that even in a global pandemic. We have sporting entertainment available to watch. If this happened decades ago. I’m not sure people would have the same opportunity we’d have these days watching MLS, NFL, MLB or the NHL finals on the tv. 

Edited by N4ZZY

4 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Fortunately for these billionaires. The NHL team isn’t their main source of income. It’s a play thing for many of them. They’ve made their fortunes in other ways in that they could eventually purchase a multi million dollar franchise. 

We are lucky and fortunate to have an owner who spends to the cap just about every single year.