The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks will not retain $ or add a sweetener for Loui to be moved

EP40.

Just now, ba;;isticsports said:

We probably will never know what happened 

Just before Linden left he did state we are going younger and giving the younger guys a chance, then we sign Roussel, Beagle and Schaller, at that point maybe Linden didn't agree with the direction and stepped down ?, Possibly Benning and Weisbrod went to Ownership behind Linden to get them?

Benning might not be the backstabber type, but Weisbrod has been according to  Davis and McGrady as the type, and is Bennings main man, so maybe it was a powerplay for direction and security and Linden had enough of a dysfunctional ownership/management team?

I never was excited or disappointed by the Weisbrod hiring or promotion, but was surprised

I'm indifferent on the whole situation. I won't call anyone a backstabber. They wanted to go different directions and that doesn't work.

The owner had to choose which he preferred and he wanted playoffs, so Linden decided to go. 

I'm sure they asked him to change his tune first. 

1 minute ago, Moose Nuckle said:

I'm indifferent on the whole situation. I won't call anyone a backstabber. They wanted to go different directions and that doesn't work.

The owner had to choose which he preferred and he wanted playoffs, so Linden decided to go. 

I'm sure they asked him to change his tune first. 

I think you're making an assumption based on an unverifiable story/narrative.

I'll believe Linden moved on due to a Roussel or Beagle signing when I hear it from him.

I think it was easily as likely  to do with his oversight of hockey decisions = the terms of his position - being renegged.

3 hours ago, sampy said:

Nope. Part of the reason Linden quit was because the Aquilini’s were trying to avoid a rebuild.

cool narrative -  that depends on both the pretense to speak for Linden, and a selective/reductive, presumed definition a "rebuild" - both of which are easily dismissable - are subjective and based on nothing in the end.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think you're making an assumption based on an unverifiable story/narrative.

I'll believe Linden moved on due to a Roussel or Beagle signing when I hear it from him.

I think it was easily as likely  to do with his oversight of hockey decisions = the terms of his position - being renegged.

I think you're making an assumption based off nothing at all.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

I think you're making an assumption based off nothing at all.

I don't think you can tell the difference between a qualifier ie "as likely" and an assumption....

ie "he preferred....so...Linden decided"

Yours is a narrative - and an  assumption.

My point makes neither claim - it points to an alternative possibility - no assumption whatsoever.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, peaches5 said:

I'd rather keep assets than give them away to get rid of Eriksson if the cost is high. Not a big deal a lot of teams deal with internal caps. We can survive a few years more of Eriksson. Or just send him to the minors let him ride a bus for a few years.

I also think there are other ways to save on cap that wont cost assets. Buying out Rousell or trading him saves at least 2mill, combined with letting Stech walk and burying LE and Baer (if still here) creates the same amount of cap. Also doesn't it feel like a hail mary from JP to get involved? For all we know LE is dead set against Utica thus forcing his agent to try anything? 

1 hour ago, Moose Nuckle said:

Was JB wrong? Not really, but now that the impossible to expect scenario of a cap freeze happened, we are stuck.

That is a league (indeed world) wide problem. Not a 'Benning' problem.

Everyone admitted at the time including you that we had to overpay to get them to come to a bad team. Wait a year and they'd sign for less because the team looked way better.

Maybe. Maybe we lose a solid year of development for those young guys now leading the charge and that juice was worth the extra squeeze.

Beagle, Roussel, Schaller, Baertschi all got signed that summer.

All I said is that Linden disagreed with the direction and the direction was clearly to sign a bunch of vets that off season. 

Conjecture. Very few people beyond Linden, Benning and FA know the specific reason Linden left.

Lastly, we signed Beagle for $3M to score no goals and play defense. Eriksson is only costing $1M this season and $3M next season to a team to score no goals and play defence. He's tradable to a team that isn't near the cap.

Sure.

16 hours ago, Robert Long said:

Yup, its hard ass old school time.  A lot of people have been calling for this approach for a while now, good to see it happen. 

I guess Barry isn't the super agent he made out to be. 

Benning and crew are well-aware of all the permutations and possibilities with Loui and have been trying all the usual routes.  Would appear they have been giving him every opportunity to either earn his salary or to otherwise find a way out with the aid of his agent.  Well, now time has run out, and either they get serious and deal with it or the rug's going to be pulled out from under them.

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't think you can tell the difference between a qualifier ie "as likely" and an assumption....

ie "he preferred....so...Linden decided"

Yours is a narrative - and an  assumption.

My point makes neither claim - it points to an alternative possibility - no assumption whatsoever.

264.jpg.33d2b04917bbd009d28aecc984e26348.jpg

• Wat 1

15 hours ago, nux4lyfe said:

Honestly, Let's face it. We're stuck with this guy.

I prefer a team without LE but some of the takes here make it seem like he's cancer to the team. I gained a lot of respect for him during the RTP. He knew going in that he was like 15th on the depth chart, he still came in worked his ass off and was at worst a reliable depth piece who was fine when called upon. He could have stayed home and relaxed instead made a pretty big sacrifice to support his teammates. A guy like Baer should have seen this as an opportunity to at least showcase himself but instead sat at home.  

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Benning and crew are well-aware of all the permutations and possibilities with Loui and have been trying all the usual routes.  Would appear they have been giving him every opportunity to either earn his salary or to otherwise find a way out with the aid of his agent.  Well, now time has run out, and either they get serious and deal with it or the rug's going to be pulled out from under them.

I think Jim's resigned to the reality of it. Bury Loui in Utica for next year, save 1.075 in cap, buy him out the next if need be. Or not. 

I see there being more pressure on Loui tbh, he's the one thats going to have to report to upstate NY, or wherever AHL players are going to be asked to report to next season.

Jim is old school business, he's not going to throw good money after bad and pay to move Loui. 

• Cheers 1

You guys seem to forget we're in the middle of a pandemic and owners gonna be hungry for cash

Loui... believe it or not, becomes a very positive asset to a team trying to hit the cap floor once we give him his 3mill signing bonus.

At most I'd toss Ottawa a 4th rounder for taking him tbh.... it's better for Melnyk than it is for us so why give more than a 4th?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, apollo said:

You guys seem to forget we're in the middle of a pandemic and owners gonna be hungry for cash

Loui... believe it or not, becomes a very positive asset to a team trying to hit the cap floor once we give him his 3mill signing bonus.

At most I'd toss Ottawa a 4th rounder for taking him tbh.... it's better for Melnyk than it is for us so why give more than a 4th?

There isn’t a single team that will have trouble hitting the cap floor just filling out the roster with players they actually want. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

There isn’t a single team that will have trouble hitting the cap floor just filling out the roster with players they actually want. 

Sure looks like they have it figured out. I guess they wanted 40 players to play last year. Too bad they can't have 40 players on the bench since they want them all so much. Screenshot_20200923-155638_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2e754ed49a79c189c1451f5fd8a879dc.jpg

Edited by Moose Nuckle
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, apollo said:

People keep posting this, but it is objectively not true.

No team is going to have any trouble reaching the cap floor.  Ottawa needs to sign a bunch of RFAs which easily gets them there.  They would have to shed good players before they would have any issue reaching the floor.  Why get rid of Connor Brown and Tierney just to sign Eriksson?  They also need a starting goalie... even bad ones don’t come cheap.

Our overpaid veterans are not valuable to other teams.  I don’t know if you have noticed that they haven’t been traded yet and there are no reports of bidding wars for their services.

The lower dollar values owed simply means they aren’t AS BAD as their cap hits indicate... as long as the receiving team is not near the cap ceiling.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, warrchief said:

Demko is a no deal for me, I will not give him up if I were Jimbo. Horvat, Miller, Hughes, Pettersson and Demko are and should be untouchables.

As for our prospects, teams will likely ask for Podkolzin or Hoglander as a sweetener for taking on the LE contract. Again, I wouldn't do that deal in a million years.

Completely agree 100%. Demko is part of the young core we have built moving forward, we're not going to throw away the 5+ years developing him for absolutely nothing. Benning has stated multiple times he's not going to part with Demko, stop talking about it like it's going to happen. If anyone is going to be packaged with Loui to get rid of his contract, it's Virtanen.

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

People keep posting this, but it is objectively not true.

No team is going to have any trouble reaching the cap floor.  Ottawa needs to sign a bunch of RFAs which easily gets them there.  They would have to shed good players before they would have any issue reaching the floor.  Why get rid of Connor Brown and Tierney just to sign Eriksson?  They also need a starting goalie... even bad ones don’t come cheap.

Our overpaid veterans are not valuable to other teams.  I don’t know if you have noticed that they haven’t been traded yet and there are no reports of bidding wars for their services.

The lower dollar values owed simply means they aren’t AS BAD as their cap hits indicate... as long as the receiving team is not near the cap ceiling.

The same RFA's they sent up and down from the minors because they couldn't play nhl calibre hockey?  

Interesting theory. Maybe they could bolster their lineup with Megna and Chaput too. 

Edited by Moose Nuckle
  • Wat 1

6 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

The same RFA's they sent up and down from the minors because they couldn't play nhl calibre hockey?  

Interesting theory. 

Wow, I didn’t realize that Brown and Tierney were shuttled back and forth all season.

Signing just them gets the Senators to around $50 million and still needed to sign 11 players (their other RFAs or anyone else).  Average $1 million a player gets them to the floor.  They need a couple of top 4D, even bad ones cost a lot more than $1 million. 

There is zero need for them to take on bad contracts unless they are getting a sweetener for it.  Eriksson is I better than their “AHL” squad you mentioned and he costs a lot more in both dollars and cap.

Edited by Provost

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

Wow, I didn’t realize that Brown and Tierney were shuttled back and forth all season.

Signing just them gets the Senators to around $50 million and still needed to sign 11 players (their other RFAs or anyone else).  Average $1 million a player gets them to the floor.  They need a couple of top 4D, even bad ones cost a lot more than $1 million.

There is zero need for them to take on bad contracts unless they are getting a sweetener for it.

horse-blinders-for-humans-52530330.png.3ff41fa75572bfc232a733f849cfe71b.png

You're talking about 11 out of 30 players that none of whom could stay in the lineup on the worst team in the league.

I see you're confused. See exhibit "a".

Screenshot_20200923-155638_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3f0175a99c93e53ae339dbb1fb69abfe.jpg

Edited by Moose Nuckle
  • Wat 1

6 hours ago, sampy said:

Nope. Part of the reason Linden quit was because the Aquilini’s were trying to avoid a rebuild. If you disagree, just look at all money Benning has spent on crap UFA’s since Linden has left. Sure would be nice to have a bunch of cap room to go with our elc’s right now.

Linden wanted to start a 4 year 'slow' rebuild in 2018 (ownership turned him down..obviously).He also guided the team down the wrong path with the 'rebuild on the fly' in 2014 (his vision)..If you want to know why Linden wasn't retained, look no further.

"Two years ago Benning survived the firing of team president Trevor Linden, largely because his assessment of the Canucks was more aligned with the Aquilinis than Linden’s. Loosely stated, Benning felt the Canucks were close to winning. Linden thought they were still four years away."..Ed Willes, May 2020

Edited by Honky Cat
  • Vintage 1